Oil change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Oil change

Changed the oil yesterday, cold engine, and got a small amount of oil out of the tank, maybe 1.5 qts. but the balance was from engine drain plug. Is this normal? Previous warm engine oil changes the bulk of the oil was in the tank and only a small amount was from the engine drain plug. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 9:20 am
JCW
contributor

Dry sump design.
Most of the oil drains back into the oil tank when sitting for a while.
Just after riding, a good amount of oil is still in the engine (camshaft area, in the oil passages and in the small oil tray).
That's why the oil level in the clear plastic tube will fall when running, rise when you turn it off, then go up even higher the next morning.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Dry sump design.
Most of the oil drains back into the oil tank when sitting for a while.
Just after riding, a good amount of oil is still in the engine (camshaft area, in the oil passages and in the small oil tray).
That's why the oil level in the clear plastic tube will fall when running, rise when you turn it off, then go up even higher the next morning.

I understand, but this was just the opposite, most of the oil was in the engine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:24 pm
JCW
contributor

Oh... Duh.

Couldn't tell you then.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 5:25 am
Enthusiast

If I've got it right a dry sump system with remote oil tank pumps oil from the tank and pushes that oil through the engine. As the supply oil passes through the galleries it ultimately collects in the crankcase and is scavenged / pumped out and back into the tank or through an oil cooler before the return to tank.

After a dry sump motor is shut down, oil will drain from the upper galleries and collect in the crankcase for return to the tank on startup. I don't know what is normal for this temporary collection volume but if you have excessive oil volumes accumulating in the crankcase over a non operating period then there may be an issue with a system valve or sealing mechanism which is allowing oil from the oil cooler, oil tank, long oil lines or some other oil "reservoir" to slowly drain back into the crankcase. There is probably a design failsafe limit to the lowest tank level possible in the event of a major "drain back" which will not allow starvation of the oil supply. Scavenging circuits may pump more strongly than the supply side - so the tank / crankcase volumes should settle to normal operating relationships reasonably quickly.

It may be worthwhile contacting a BMW technican for specific system info.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenz
If I've got it right a dry sump system with remote oil tank pumps oil from the tank and pushes that oil through the engine. As the supply oil passes through the galleries it ultimately collects in the crankcase and is scavenged / pumped out and back into the tank or through an oil cooler before the return to tank.

After a dry sump motor is shut down, oil will drain from the upper galleries and collect in the crankcase for return to the tank on startup. I don't know what is normal for this temporary collection volume but if you have excessive oil volumes accumulating in the crankcase over a non operating period then there may be an issue with a system valve or sealing mechanism which is allowing oil from the oil cooler, oil tank, long oil lines or some other oil "reservoir" to slowly drain back into the crankcase. There is probably a design failsafe limit to the lowest tank level possible in the event of a major "drain back" which will not allow starvation of the oil supply. Scavenging circuits may pump more strongly than the supply side - so the tank / crankcase volumes should settle to normal operating relationships reasonably quickly.

It may be worthwhile contacting a BMW technican for specific system info.

Like you, I think that there must be some sort of check valve, but not sure. I will call today and ask.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 9:07 am
JCW
contributor

There is a nonreturn valve listed in the specs of the oil supply. All it says is Non-return valve (lube-oil sytem). Then gives a pressure differential opening of 0.7-1.3 bar. There's also a minumum value for the spring length in the oil retaining valve 53mm.

I don't know where it is located though or if it holds oil in the tank like you say.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:16 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
John, If the bike sits for any long period of time(a week or so) it's possible for as much as a full qt. to drain back into the engine. In fact, the owners manual warns you to warm the engine completely before checking the oil. I almost added a qt. too much by not heeding this. I only warmed the engine for a minute, or so, and it was definately not enough after sitting that long.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:52 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2fall
John, If the bike sits for any long period of time(a week or so) it's possible for as much as a full qt. to drain back into the engine. In fact, the owners manual warns you to warm the engine completely before checking the oil. I almost added a qt. too much by not heeding this. I only warmed the engine for a minute, or so, and it was definately not enough after sitting that long.
Yeah, I know. I've noticed it too, after I overfilled it slightly. I was just trying to help the guy out. Don't think it's a problem, though, but who knows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode