Battery Charger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Battery Charger

Need to get me one of those new BMW chargers for my CAN Bus equipped K1200S. The only thing I am wondering is I also have a 2004 R1200CLC (not CAN Bus) will it work on both. Or do I need to get me the old BMW charger.

Any of you out there with two bikes where one is CAN Bus and one is NOT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:25 pm

I just have an old battery tender and clip it right on the battery leads.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:28 pm
Addict-oholic

I use the new Canbus charger on my new GT and on wet cell Bikes in my garage. No problems at all!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Need to get me one of those new BMW chargers for my CAN Bus equipped K1200S. The only thing I am wondering is I also have a 2004 R1200CLC (not CAN Bus) will it work on both. Or do I need to get me the old BMW charger.

Any of you out there with two bikes where one is CAN Bus and one is NOT?
The charger will work with both. If you charge through the accessory port on the K1200S, you have to follow a specific sequence of steps to do it. And, I don't remember what they are. I have a "pig" tail that I hard wire to the batteries on my bikes and plug the charger into the pig tail to charge thereby bypassing the bike's wiring harness altogether.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:01 pm
Addict

on my KR

Turn on the key
Plug charger into acc port
plug charger into wall outlet
turn off key

done
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Rookie

charger

I installed the battery tender plug directly on the batt. like any other application.
I don't leave it plugged in for extended periods but it seems to work fine, and I don't have to go through all that song and dance (turn on ign., plug in, bark at the moon, yada, yada, yada).
I can use the same battery tender on all my toys and if I want another 29.95 will get me a new one.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 8:53 pm
Rookie

Hi this is Bikeguy

One of the things that I did to my bike was to add a battery tender which I use on all of my bikes.

When I first started using them, I never thought much about it but I had a crash a little while back and was out of commission for a little while. It was nice knowing my bikes were in the garage hooked up to battery tenders and there was no problem starting them up when I was ready to go.

I had them hook the battery tender lead directly to the battery and not go through the battery system on the bike and it doesn't interfere with the system. I have heard of people trying to use farkles with a cam bus wiring system and problems occur. And I have heard that you couldn't use a battery tender unless it was from the BMW shop but hooking the leads up directly to the battery solved that problem and I had the shop do it for me so they would be responsible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Noob

I bought a BMW can bus charger with my 2005 K1200S. The charger started only charging through one charge cycle and then shut down and never restart. If you have a power failure you have to go and do the start up procedure for the can bus charger or your battery will go dead.
I bought a battery tender for 1/4 the cost and it works just fine. I am currently using the BMW charger as a paper weight.

Lorenzo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode