BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

garbage in the info display

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  larrykay 
#1 ·
Went to switch the ESA from rider w/luggage to rider only, and after the single helmet
disappeared a few seconds later an uneven pattern of dots appeared. Turned off engine
and re-started hoping the problem would clear itself, but no such luck. Thought about
disconnecting battery but wanted to hear from some of you before doing so.

Phil

#2 ·
Are you noticing your seat getting very warm?

You might have activated the rider or passenger heated seat. ;)

Does the pattern look like "\.", "\..", "./", or "../"?

#3 ·
Hi Jeff,

I'll look this evening , but I remember looking at the heat setting for the rider and I
believe it was in the off position. The pattern looks as if it may be showing part of the luggage . The display also seem to have a streaking line at the very bottom of the dispaly
window. This situation may have started when I held the BC button down for a few seconds. Wasn't paying attention. I'll try and toggle the heat switch on and off and see what happens. Thanks.

Phil

#5 ·
Had same supposed problem happen to me. Garbage in the display! What is this, I claimed. Looks like the display malfunctioned...Pulled over, check every thing I could think of...Powered bike off and back on. No change. Pulled manual at next rest stop...Heated seat for passenger, duh!!! Just didn't look right...Learned something...

#6 ·
To be honest, I had something similar. Got a "<!>" in the display which scared the shit out of me after the 600 mile service. Had to go dig out the manual, which gives you every possible display message. The problem with the manual is that there are some messages where it doesn't really give you a good reason for it, nor a method to clear it -- other than take it to the dealer.

#7 ·
Had the same display come on in the rain in VT. Was scared and bullshit all at the same time. Pulled out the manual (in the rain) and discovered real quick that I should not talk on the two way radio with the bike off. I guess my red colored <!> meant low battery.
The dam <!> has different colors for different problems. All I know is <!> in any color is not a good thing. Still the best bike I've ever owned but still trying to understand her.

John

#8 ·
Gentlemen,

Good evening and thank you. Came home and found the rear seat control on. Turned on
the ignition after resetting the control, and presto no more garbage. I must have placed the rear seat on the switch when removing it. I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks again.

Phil

#10 ·
MassGT said:
The dam <!> has different colors for different problems. All I know is <!> in any color is not a good thing. Still the best bike I've ever owned but still trying to understand her.
I got a <!> yesterday when stopped in backed-up traffic in 90-degree temps. I guess I had been idling along at 3 to 5 mph for about a half hour. When the <!> popped up, it helped me to notice that the temperature gauge was all the way to the top. I pulled over for 20 minutes and shut down the bike. When I started back up, the gauge was back in the one-third-of-the-way-up range where it belongs.

No complaints here about the <!>. Had it not come on, there would have been hot lava all over my motorcycle.

#11 ·
I had the same <!> sign upon refueling day before yesterday. Tried to check the oil level on move but the BC did not give me any info. Half an hour later the sign dissapeared. The oil level was O.K.
Still I am puzzled.

#12 ·
Easyman, sometimes, I notice after refueling that the warning light does not go off for a few minutes until the tank guage resets itself. You will also notice that the "miles to go" has not also reset yet..The fuel guage warning light and the "mil;es to go" reset at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.