BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200GT for medium size riders

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  coach03860 
#1 ·
:tim I am looking for some first hand opinions on the K1200GT for smaller/shorter riders. I have been on an R1200GS (low seat/low pegs) for 2 years now and before that a F650GS after a couple Hondas so although "I've been around the track a time or two" I am all NEW to the sport touring world. The 1200GS is great, but now that I'm in my 50's I really don't "off-road" any more and since retiring early at age 52 :teeth I am now looking at extended bike trips throughout the US and Canada. I know the 1200GS is the "go anywhere/do anything bike" but somehow 4000 mile trips look a bit uncomfortable to me on that bike. I had the GS in for service yesterday and the salesman who sold it to me threw me the keys to a 2007 K1200GT and off I went. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by that bike. It seemed to handle better than my GS ever could and was oh so comfortable.

:confused: My question is that at 5'8" tall and 160lbs with 30"inseam and not all that strong, are there other "strength and vertically challenged" riders out there on the K1200GT? Although I knew the bike was >150 lbs heavier than my GS it sure didn't feel like it, although I never got to try it in tight traffic maneuvers. Soooo, any smaller riders out there with some miles on this bike? I never thought I would trade my R1200GS but I can not get that K1200GT out of my mind! :bmw:

#2 ·
I'm 5'4" short, 56 years old, been riding for 40 years, and think the GT is the best bike I've ever owned. Sure it's a handfull at less than 2 mph, but aove that it's great. I've had mine for 10 weeks and have almost 12K on it including an 8880 mile cross country trip.

#3 ·
I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, and have no idea about my inseam (probably around 31). The GT is great. I bought my first one last June. I have about 28,000 miles between 2 GTS (wrecked the first one by hitting a camper shell on the interstate).

While I have had numerous mechanical problems with the second GT, I have had great experiences taking the bike on numerous day trips, weekenders. Would not have second thoughts going on a 50CC.

#4 ·
coach03860 said:
:tim I am looking for some first hand opinions on the K1200GT for smaller/shorter riders. I have been on an R1200GS (low seat/low pegs) for 2 years now and before that a F650GS after a couple Hondas so although "I've been around the track a time or two" I am all NEW to the sport touring world. The 1200GS is great, but now that I'm in my 50's I really don't "off-road" any more and since retiring early at age 52 :teeth I am now looking at extended bike trips throughout the US and Canada. I know the 1200GS is the "go anywhere/do anything bike" but somehow 4000 mile trips look a bit uncomfortable to me on that bike. I had the GS in for service yesterday and the salesman who sold it to me threw me the keys to a 2007 K1200GT and off I went. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by that bike. It seemed to handle better than my GS ever could and was oh so comfortable.

:confused: My question is that at 5'8" tall and 160lbs with 30"inseam and not all that strong, are there other "strength and vertically challenged" riders out there on the K1200GT? Although I knew the bike was >150 lbs heavier than my GS it sure didn't feel like it, although I never got to try it in tight traffic maneuvers. Soooo, any smaller riders out there with some miles on this bike? I never thought I would trade my R1200GS but I can not get that K1200GT out of my mind! :bmw:
It is heavier, but 125 lbs not >150. I would think the higher center of gravity on the GS would be more of an issue for you than the weight of the GT. I cannot help with that since I am 6'4" and easily flat foot all these bikes. But if you have no problems with the tall GS you will enjoy the FAST GT!!!

#5 ·
Well, first off I WISH I was even under 200 lbs (I'm 5'10", 32" inseam) so normally couldn't comment on size versus ability to handle bikes OTHER than I've taught new and experienced Motorcycle riders for about 5 years.

Fundamentally, if you want to handle it you can. I've seen women at barely 5' and maybe 110 lbs or (I'm guessing at the weight as I'd never dare ask them) ride a GoldWing GL1800. Now, they can put a foot down OK cause it has a low seat BUT the bike with fluids is over 900 pounds. So, Weight of the bike is NOT an issue.

I've seen people who are so short that they cannot get both feet down on a Honda 100cc trail bike (one of the smallest bikes we have for small people). The bike only has a kickstart so to start it they put it on the sidestand, mount the bike and can then kick it over, they can't reach otherwise. From a riding perspective they can barely touch both feet tippy toes to the ground. So, as long as you can do that you're OK.

I'm sure that the K1200GT with the lower seat would give you more than enough reach.

As a shorter rider (and I experience this on my some taller bikes), you have to be very careful of where you stop. If the road is sloping to the left, you'll need to stop with your right foot down. If a lot of heavy trucks have been through and created a couple of tire wells (deep impressions in the road), you must stop with the bike at the bottom of the well.

Good luck and enjoy the GT!

#6 ·
I have 30' inseam and think that I am unable to ride a GS. It seems to be so-o-o tall for me every time I visit my dealer and approach it. Though will test it next month as I like the view and heard a lot about it's "all-roadness" :))
no prob to ride GT though :))
You will love it too:))

#7 ·
easyman05 said:
I have 30' inseam and think that I am unable to ride a GS. It seems to be so-o-o tall for me every time I visit my dealer and approach it. Though will test it next month as I like the view and heard a lot about it's "all-roadness" :))
no prob to ride GT though :))
You will love it too:))
Get the low seat option (N/C) and you will have no problem with the 1200GS. I have a 30" inseam too and can flat foot both feet at the same time with it and back it up into a parking place just fine. You will need to order the footpeg lowering kit from Touratech too however or else it will feel like riding a kids tricycle as your knees will be too high. I have put about 7000 miles on mine in the past 3 1/2 months and if I wasn't looking at a cross country ROAD trip I would keep the GS. If you plan to do all types of riding on road and off...the 1200GS can't be beat! :teeth

Any more opinions on the K1200GT for those vertically/strength challenged, lol???

#9 ·
5'6" 29.5" inside leg a touch over 200lbs. I like to think that strength is not a problem.

I have an 03 GT, had it about a month 2,000+ miles already.

I don't have issues at slow speeds, but then again, I'm pretty used to the stop-start, tight manouvres at low speed, type riding in London. My only issue was the width of the thing, but I'm getting that down to a T now.

I can push back into spaces on a slight incline with just toes without too much of a problem. Steeper inclines, I have to get off and push.

I totally agree with BCDon about the road profile issue, also be careful when filling up, my scariest moments seem to be when stopping by the pumps. They always seem slippery when I'm on this bike.

Comfort was my key reason for buying this bike. So far it's been worth every penny.

Good luck with your choice

#10 ·
coach03860 said:
Any more opinions on the K1200GT for those vertically/strength challenged, lol???
No, no need in low seat option for GT :-0) It has two possibilities of positioning - the lowest is O.K. But you will definitely need to replace the OEM saddle - I choose Sargent.

#11 ·
New K bike for me

:dance: DONE DEAL! I took the K1200GT out for an extended test ride again today and when I came back I just said "quick, gimme' the paperwork to sign"!!!!
I pick it up next Friday :teeth
Thanks for all the advice on the switch and ya' know anyone who wants a nice '06 R1200GS???? :rotf: coach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.