Help me determine what kind of bike to get. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Help me determine what kind of bike to get.

Hey all,
new here, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. So glad to have found this site and I'm learning alot.

I grew up on a bike... since I was 16, I always had one. I bought a new Honda V45 Sabre in 1982 and my younger brother bought a V45 Magna at the same time. Loved those bikes. He was killed in 1985 and I inherited his bike and rode it from Wisconsin to California. I sold both bikes in 1990 and have been without a motorcycle ever since.

A good friend of mine has a BMW R1200C Phoenix. For the last couple of years he's been buggin' me to get a bike or rent one and take a trip with him. Earlier this year, I did just that - I rented a BMW R1200GS and we rode to Yosemite. It was a BLAST and now I've got the itch to get a bike of my own.

I'm partial to BMW as I own a 2004 M3 Convertible which I'm madly in love with. I'm a computer geek and gadgets are good.. the more the better. So, I've been reading tons of stuff about BMW motorcycles and that has brought me here.

So, I liked the GS that I rented, but found the riding position pretty painful after several hours. The whole dual purpose thing about the GS is lost on me, so I'd rather get a "sport touring" bike. I am definitely interested in the K1200R (naked or sport) or a K1200GT.

I love all the gadgetry on the GT, but like the raw look of the K12R. I'm wondering if I get the GT will I be less inclinded to ride it around town.

Also, I'm 6'2" and built like a lineman, weighing in at 275lbs. Large upper body. 32" inseam. Comfort is a huge factor and I'm not sure about the K1200R's seating position and how a big guy like me would look on it.

I have yet to test drive either of these bikes, but will be doing so in the next couple weeks and ultimately will be making a decision later in the fall.

What do you guys think? Comments, suggestions, insight, etc are very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Tom
Hayward, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:49 pm

I don't have a suggestion, just some more questions you might want to ask yourself to help you make a decision.

- Will you be making lots of trips with 300+ mile days? If so, a fairing and upright seating position will help you enjoy the ride much more. Cruise control is a plus as well, but not offered on all bikes.

- Will you ride in all weather or just nice days? If in all weather, heated seats, grips, and fairing are considerations.

- Is your riding always solo, or will you ride 2-up once in a while? Some of the naked bikes won't have much appeal to your passenger.

Like most folks, the look of a bike is important to you; me too. I think the K1200S is the best looking bike, but I know that if I bought one, it would be fun for a couple of weeks and then I forget how great it looks and how poorly it fit my type of riding. So, I'm riding an RT. I don't get any parking lot compliments, but it sure is comfortable, surefooted, and a pleasure to own.

Good luck and have fun shopping.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Rider Journeyman

If I could only have one bike, it would be a GS Adventure with a custom saddle (a Russell).

Aside from outright speed of the K-R and comfort of the LT the GS/GS-A is about the best all-around bike available.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Addict-oholic

Tom, like you I had a Sabre, then went to a Honda ST 1100. I had both for about 10 years each. In 2202, I test drove a KRS and bought it on the spot. Last year, I test drove the new KGT and I found the same thrill as all the previous bikes, but this one is more nimble and terrific for a guy like me : 70 yrs young, 5-11 at 205 lbs. I like the fit and the feel of the bike. I have done more mileage in the 1 yr I have had it than I did in the last 5 or 6 years on all the other bikes.

Go for it. Test drive all the new K models!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Tom, like you I had a Sabre, then went to a Honda ST 1100. I had both for about 10 years each. In 2202, I test drove a KRS and bought it on the spot. Last year, I test drove the new KGT and I found the same thrill as all the previous bikes, but this one is more nimble and terrific for a guy like me : 70 yrs young, 5-11 at 205 lbs. I like the fit and the feel of the bike. I have done more mileage in the 1 yr I have had it than I did in the last 5 or 6 years on all the other bikes.

..in 2202? this man has returned from the future!

Chris
'06 K1200 R
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:11 pm
Addict

He's violating the Temporal Prime Directive.

Report him to Federation Security.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEdgar
I don't have a suggestion, just some more questions you might want to ask yourself to help you make a decision.

- Will you be making lots of trips with 300+ mile days? If so, a fairing and upright seating position will help you enjoy the ride much more. Cruise control is a plus as well, but not offered on all bikes.

- Will you ride in all weather or just nice days? If in all weather, heated seats, grips, and fairing are considerations.

- Is your riding always solo, or will you ride 2-up once in a while? Some of the naked bikes won't have much appeal to your passenger.

Like most folks, the look of a bike is important to you; me too. I think the K1200S is the best looking bike, but I know that if I bought one, it would be fun for a couple of weeks and then I forget how great it looks and how poorly it fit my type of riding. So, I'm riding an RT. I don't get any parking lot compliments, but it sure is comfortable, surefooted, and a pleasure to own.

Good luck and have fun shopping.
Here are the answers. I appreciate the questions and feedback.

Yes, I will be riding more than 300 miles. This bike will be for fun. No commuting. Just weekend trips. Cruise control is a must. Something as simple as a throttle lock is fine. My cross country trip on the V45 was sans windscreen and cruise control and it was two things I vowed to get if ever I took another long trip on a bike.

2-up is a possibility, but not that often. My significant other is not into it at all.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area. What may start out nice in the east bay may turn cold along the California coast, so heated grips is a must. Heated seat is not that big of a concern. The only bike I've ever rode with a fairing was the GS and I liked it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

Tom.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay

Thanks Larry! I appreciate the response. The bad-boy inside me likes the K12R.. The commercial I saw on YouTube where the guy takes the bike down the strip and then at the end does the BMW roundel logo with his tire SO reminds me of the 83 V65 Magna commercial (also seen on YouTube) and I desperately wanted one of those monsters back then. The logical thinker in me, however, says the GT is the best of both worlds and so much more practical.

Regardless I'll be test riding all I can next weekend with my buddy with the R1200C. He's almost as excited as I am! There are several BMW dealers here in the bay area and I want to test ride all of them! should be fun!

Tom.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
If I could only have one bike, it would be a GS Adventure with a custom saddle (a Russell).

Aside from outright speed of the K-R and comfort of the LT the GS/GS-A is about the best all-around bike available.

Hey Billy,

I really liked how easy the GS was to ride, how you can just go anywhere and of course the huge range with that giant tank, but as nice as it was, it didn't excite me AT ALL and I think that if I were to buy one, it would collect dust in my garage.

I want some power.. some torque.. some excitement. The same kind of excitement I get when I step on the gas in my M3!

Tom.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:10 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac

I want some power.. some torque.. some excitement. The same kind of excitement I get when I step on the gas in my M3!

Tom.
Having owned an M3 I know what you are talking about and therefore think you will be happiest on either a K12S or K12R. I have done 600 mile days on my S with no physical discomfort and I'm 60 years old.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode