The term CAGE or CAGER - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:44 am Thread Starter
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
The term CAGE or CAGER

I returned to biking last December after a “break” of some 27 years. During all this time I have put perhaps ˝million miles+ on 4 wheels and consider myself to be a good solid, safe driver.
What I do not like though, is the constant use of the term “cager” when we mean “mortorist” or “car driver”. “Cager” is clearly meant to be derogatory and why? Not all car drivers are brainless and drive in a state of semi-consciousness!

If we (as motorcyclists) wish to receive respect, we need to show it; and the terms “cager” is hardly showing the way ….

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:50 am
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
I returned to biking last December after a “break” of some 27 years. During all this time I have put perhaps ˝million miles+ on 4 wheels and consider myself to be a good solid, safe driver.
What I do not like though, is the constant use of the term “cager” when we mean “mortorist” or “car driver”. “Cager” is clearly meant to be derogatory and why? Not all car drivers are brainless and drive in a state of semi-consciousness!

If we (as motorcyclists) wish to receive respect, we need to show it; and the terms “cager” is hardly showing the way ….
I don't look at it as disrespectful of the driver. My wife and I both refer to taking the "cage" when driving. For me, it's a feeling of being trapped when forced to take four wheels, therefore the term cage.

Me thinks someone is being just a bit too sensitive, go for a ride.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:57 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: phoenix, AZ, usa
Posts: 459
I'm with Grif on that one

no disrepect intended...I don't mind being called a "biker" even though that also has some negative connotations in some folks' minds.

Actually, its kindof fun bantering about these things....cheep entertainment!!
ldbikin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:07 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , , UK
Posts: 3,750
Coming from the same side of the pond I've learned that attitudes and culture can be different across the spectrum of members in the community. I personally don't find the term derogatory, I use it and other terms sometimes and just go with the flow. Car (cage)drivers or 'motorists' often refer to us as 'bikers' and I don't find that too endearing either.

Sometimes, I think the EU and UK is going too far the other way with political correctness, so it's interesting to see the balance go the other way sometimes.

I worry less about political correctness and more about staying alive. For motorcyclists the roads are a jungle and whatever respect you may wish to earn from other road users, if you ride thinking every vehicle and pedestrian is trying to kill you before it happens, you might stay alive longer than others.

The protection which their cages afford is part of the reason car drivers whilst not brainless, are unaware of the vulnerability of the motorcyclist. I often think the eco friendly approach is to insist all drivers qualify on 2 wheels first. It's then easier for them to appreciate riders and to move to 2 wheels to save the planet.

I've also done thousands of miles on 4 and 2 wheels, but the 'motoring landscape' isn't the same now as it was 20 years ago. My reactions have sharpened up so much now, even my wife notices the car driving is different.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
voxmagna is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:18 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: La Habra , CA, USA
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
For me, it's a feeling of being trapped when forced to take four wheels, therefore the term cage.
That's how I've always thought of it.

Never meant any disrespect with the term, the phrase 'drivers cage' often refers to the area of protecton provided by the piller posts, beams, doors, etcetera.

"Driver" could refer to almost anything. A guy ON a bike is a "biker". What's a guy IN a car? A "car-er"?

If people are painting a whole group with a broad brush... shame on them. Doesn't matter if it's all bikers, all harley owners, all BMW owners, all cagers, etc...

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
DaveTheAffable is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:26 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: phoenix, AZ, usa
Posts: 459
I don't care what you call me...long as it ain't "late for dinner"!! Thems' fightin' words!!
ldbikin is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 6:05 pm
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
“Cager” is clearly meant to be derogatory and why? Not all car drivers are brainless and drive in a state of semi-consciousness!

If we (as motorcyclists) wish to receive respect, we need to show it; and the terms “cager” is hardly showing the way ….
First of all, sticks and stones. You're in a car...safe. What do you care if the gnats about you call you some names? When push comes to shove, as it often does, you win and they lose.

Re: "cager" and "cage"

I use the term in a perjorative sense, and I mean it. When people who drive cars show some respect, they'll get some respect. In the U.S., motorcyclists will never get respect. Why? Because it's the home of the bully. The big dog has right of way..that's as American as apple pie, the WWF, or torture. The motorcyclist is the small guy and as such he will never be respected here.

I played nice for a long time and it doesn't work. Most cagers don't give a damn about anyone "smaller" than them. Sure, there are plenty of decent drivers..but the numbers don't tip the balance to the point where I'm gonna give a cager the benefit of the doubt in any circumstance.

Basically, I don't give a damn about them and I'm unapologetic about it. It's a war on the roads and I'm not a pacifist. I can't win a striaght up duel with a cage, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be nice and courteous all day long as they push me around, that's for sure. If you're in a car, you're a deadly threat. I don't have a lot of room in my heart for deadly threats.

When I'm riding--which is every day--I'm living my life, not acting as a representative for every other rider. I'll call you a cager, split your lane, and tailgate you as I see fit. I don't care at all about advancing the motorcyclists reputation to people who drive cars.
Diomedes is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 6:08 pm
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 18
p.s. a cager hit me with a cigarette butt today. she was done with her smoke and littered it out the window, as we see people do every day. she didn't notice or care that a motorcyclist was behind her. typical.

if I could have run her off the road, I would have. stupid cager.
Diomedes is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 6:59 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes
First of all, sticks and stones. You're in a car...safe. What do you care if the gnats about you call you some names? When push comes to shove, as it often does, you win and they lose.

Re: "cager" and "cage"

I use the term in a perjorative sense, and I mean it. When people who drive cars show some respect, they'll get some respect. In the U.S., motorcyclists will never get respect. Why? Because it's the home of the bully. The big dog has right of way..that's as American as apple pie, the WWF, or torture. The motorcyclist is the small guy and as such he will never be respected here.

I played nice for a long time and it doesn't work. Most cagers don't give a damn about anyone "smaller" than them. Sure, there are plenty of decent drivers..but the numbers don't tip the balance to the point where I'm gonna give a cager the benefit of the doubt in any circumstance.

Basically, I don't give a damn about them and I'm unapologetic about it. It's a war on the roads and I'm not a pacifist. I can't win a striaght up duel with a cage, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be nice and courteous all day long as they push me around, that's for sure. If you're in a car, you're a deadly threat. I don't have a lot of room in my heart for deadly threats.

When I'm riding--which is every day--I'm living my life, not acting as a representative for every other rider. I'll call you a cager, split your lane, and tailgate you as I see fit. I don't care at all about advancing the motorcyclists reputation to people who drive cars.
Thanks for being the sort that really makes cagers love motorcycles. As you noted, we always lose in a confrontation, yet you go out of your way to create animosiy towards bikers. It makes no sense.

BTW - "as American as torture?" As a person whose seen the results of it and known others that suffered from it, I hope that was tongue in cheek!
buffgunner is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:43 pm
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes
p.s. a cager hit me with a cigarette butt today. she was done with her smoke and littered it out the window, as we see people do every day. she didn't notice or care that a motorcyclist was behind her. typical.

if I could have run her off the road, I would have. stupid cager.
I live in Texas and it was with great joy to be able to split lanes in CA. It was hot, we were travelling slow, I had my face shield up and I loved it until some sorry bastard laid a loogy in my face.

Man, I had a red curtain descend over my being. If I could of stopped I woulda shot that prick dead.

The guys I was riding with are from CA and told me a story of a gal that threw her can of soda at one of them and hit him while splitting lanes. There was a moto cop right behind him who saw it. They all three pulled over, the cop arrested her for, get this, I LOVE IT..... attempted murder. They hauled her ass to jail and towed her SUV. He told me later they pled out and she got off with a slap on the wrist, but if more of that happened that would be great. That arrest, no matter the plead, stays on the record, snicker. BTW, that story brightened my day and I got over my insane anger.

I'm with you, it's war out there and I ride aggresively just to stay alive. I'm also a daily rider, we own a PEO and payroll company.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Prospects for K12R j-k1200r K12/1300R/R-Sport 6 Jul 2nd, 2007 7:35 am
Motorcyclist gets his by a car, so the cager sues him for damages to his car...... alowishus Campfire 0 Dec 31st, 2006 10:07 pm
harley passes cage at deal's gap video gbilling Bike Talk 8 Sep 23rd, 2006 5:28 pm
Race a cage in the twisties? Steve_Carlton Bike Talk 17 May 5th, 2006 1:07 am
Mmmmm... nice warm cage Steve_Carlton Humor 2 Dec 20th, 2005 8:00 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome