R1100rt Vs K1200gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter
Rookie

R1100rt Vs K1200gt

I've been riding a 1998 R1100RT for six years and it's now time to update and upgrade. I've been salivating over the K1200GT and it's extra power but was wondering if the extra weight reduces the riding enjoyability in the twisties. My riding goal is to stay off the interstates.

Can anyone answer from their own personal experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:10 am
Veteran

For some reason the GT seemed smaller to me than my old R1100RT. Don't know why though. Acceleration is far above the RT though. Handles the twisties very well too.

Might want to check with your insurance as to the difference in premiums too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:09 am

Cool Not to hijack a thread, but who else is getting tired...

...of the overworked word "twisties"? You cannot pick up an automotive or motorcycle publication without continued overuse of the word. To me, a twistie sounds like a snack food. What happened to curvy, winding, or any other term showing a little more reverence for the English language.

But it's probably just me having a bad day.

Chuck V. ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV
...of the overworked word "twisties"? You cannot pick up an automotive or motorcycle publication without continued overuse of the word. To me, a twistie sounds like a snack food. What happened to curvy, winding, or any other term showing a little more reverence for the English language.

Thanks for the constructive reply Chuck.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV

Too much trouble to type "curvy roads," "windy roads," or even "twisty road."

Maybe "curvies" or "windies" would be better?

Try and read the new condensed text teenagers type on their cell phones if "twisties" annoys you. It's a puzzle sometimes for me to read, but they can read it aloud and make sense of it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 9:56 pm

Curvies??

I don't know let's keep it clean
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 7:48 am
Addict

the KGT can be ridden almost aggressively as any sport bike, the GT's limitations in most cases is the rider and not the bike. i recently viewed some photos of a GT on the track and the rider was knee dragging. the KGT's extra weight won't hinder your riding style since it's not a water buffalo like a GW or HD.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 2:58 pm
fas

choices

My GT is amazing.

Now at 8,400 miles, it has been perfect. I love the low cg provided by the dry sump design. I ride 2-up frequently and the touch of a button suspension is amazing. My brother in law has a R model and he rode my GT. He was stunned at the improvement. I think both are great. How much power do you need? Do you like the K four or the R 2?

Both are well engineered machines.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:35 am
Rookie

I've not ridden the old RT, but I had an '06 model for a while before getting an '07 GT. To me, the RT felt bigger, lighter and had a higher centre of gravity. It didn't need as much pressure on the bars to flick the bike at low speed - thats where I notice the GT feeling a bit heavy, below about 20 mph.

Having said that, I'd say the GT feels more "planted" in corners and I seem to be taking corners faster than I did on the RT.

For me the difference in handling in the "twisties" is not that much - the big difference is the "fun factor" that comes with the 150 horses and the noise of that 4-pot engine

Bill.

IBA No.28132
BMW K1200GT (2007)
BMW K1200S (2005)
Ducati 696 Monster (the Wife's)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelunit
I've been riding a 1998 R1100RT for six years and it's now time to update and upgrade. I've been salivating over the K1200GT and it's extra power but was wondering if the extra weight reduces the riding enjoyability in the twisties. My riding goal is to stay off the interstates.

Can anyone answer from their own personal experience?
I had my 98 RT for almost 10 years before buying an 07 GT this spring. Spent many happy miles / weeks at a time on it and it never treated me bad. Loved the bike.

However......there is ZERO comparison other than the fact they are both BMW's. The GT is phenomenal in every respect. Handling, top speed, acceleration, comfort (though that's a debatable personal thing for some).....the list goes on but suffice it to say you will never look back. Unless you are in the top 1% or better of the riders on the planet, the bike is quite capable, and then some, of ANYTHING you want to throw at it. Which is also something to think about. Are YOU ready for this bike! My dealer just had a used GT with roughly 2000 miles from an ex RT guy that couldn't handle the bike. Traded the old, rode the GT, traded it for a new RT. Too much bike. Food for thought.

Twisties?! You'll experience a "hole" new meaning to pucker factor if you're a good rider. It eats twisties for lunch. Buy it.....you'll love it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode