BMW selling R1200RT in China for 289,000 yuan - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

BMW selling R1200RT in China for 289,000 yuan

Link

Conversion shows that to be $38,275.61 US dollars.

Wow! :wtf

(may be a big market for used BMWs over there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2007, 2:22 am
Addict

They only need to buy a couple at any price to start cloning them!

If they do, I hope they take out any design weaknesses, whilst spares at realistic prices would be interesting.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:50 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
They only need to buy a couple at any price to start cloning them!

If they do, I hope they take out any design weaknesses, whilst spares at realistic prices would be interesting.
Interesting you mentioned that. Did you see this? BMW AG motorcycles to move parts procurement to Taiwan from China They suspect China has bad quality control and Taiwan may be better - like maybe the airboxs? They may have gotten a foot in to sell their bikes in China since they have parts made there. Could be a disastrous move if Harley has the same idea as was rumored about moving some engine manufacturing there.

I know Timken bearings moved their manufacturing from the USA to China in the early 90's, about the time all the final drive failures began on the oilheads of the R-239 design (R1100RTs). IF FAG or INA bearings or the others did the same, it might explain the bearing failures of the drives and maybe not an engineering design problem, just shoddy bearings. Maybe it's the reason for the magnetic drain plug being put back on the later GTs to monitor the finish coming off the bearings (Chinese?) leading to failures?

If so, maybe they will quit puking finals in the next few years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:44 am
Addict

If the UK/Japanese motorcycle industry was anything to go by, they took the UK bikes, designed far superior reliable machines, sold them cheaper and dominated the market.

I think the european manufacturers have been a little complacent selling on brand appeal at high prices. Although it's strange, many riders say alternative machines are boring, never go wrong and have no individual appeal. Perhaps it's the breakdowns and repairs that make people stick with a marque - I don't know.

Personally, I'd rather have the 100,000 mile reliable, smooth comfortable machine and choose or dress it up to have some individual character.

One thing I've always liked about the Jap bikes is they seem to understand what rider controls are important and put them in the right place so everything seem ergodynamic. I had a French car once where everything seemed wrong, but they told me this was part of the 'character' of owning one and however modern and advanced they made a car, they'd always put back something strange and quirky. I think it's called 'unique selling points' used as some kind of differentiation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 5th, 2007 at 10:49 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:51 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Link

Conversion shows that to be $38,275.61 US dollars.

Wow! :wtf

(may be a big market for used BMWs over there)
Won't be a big market for anything but can see where you are going . China has restrictions, or zones, in place where big cc bikes can go, and it is only in a few designated areas around Beijing. No countryside riding, no going far riding. The rules are changing, the restrictions relaxing, but as of last year this is practically all one can do with a non ~125cc bike without going through enormous amounts of red tape.

When H-D opened up their first store in Beijing (Around March '06) the restrictions noted above were recognized but Milwaukee knows, as does Munich, that the potential is enormous in China once restrictions on where one can ride are more relaxed. I remember seeing a report noting BMW sold 25 bikes in China in 2005!

I hope it is possible soon, maybe in the next few years, to be able to rent a bike out of Beijing, Shanghai, etc. and travel unfettered throughout the country. Have been there several times and it would be a memorable ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode