Rukka Riding Gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2007, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Rukka Riding Gear

I'm in the market for a new fall/[winter]/spring riding suit to go with the new K12S that I'm picking up tomorrow night (yeah!). I've been hunting around the Web forums for various manufacturers and one that gets consistently good reviews is Rukka from Finland. I've talked to one of the stores here in the US that sells them and the recommended model is the Armax jacket & pants. I like the looks of the suit. The price is a bit over $2k total, which is not cost prohibitive if the quality and feel is really there and it will last for 10 years. One forum member (k12sdad) was kind enough to respond to a question I asked of him. But I'm hoping to hear some feedback from others with first hand knowledge of these products.

(Please don't turn this into a flame-fest over the idea of spending $2k+ on a riding suit - clearly the company is selling them in good quantities at those prices...)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 8:32 am
Just saying hey

Thumbs up Rukka

I have had the pleasure of owning the Rukka Air Power suit (euro size 56)for about 3 years and I love it! After a whole lot of research and traveling abroad to compare different brands, it was an easy choice. The quality and fit is perfect for my body type (5-10 @ 185 lbs), and the functionality in regards to warm weather / cold weather combinations are perfect. Living in central Ohio can mean hot humid summers and quite cold winters. I am a firm believer of, "form follows function," and this suit delivers. As for price, I like to view the high cost of owning a Rukka as extra crash insurance - because it would be a damn shame to destroy the suit on the tarmac and have to buy another... so I'm extra careful when riding. Not.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 1:18 pm

I'm looking for a jacket and pants combination. Just not sure what to get. I don't know of any place where I can see and try on Rukka products. When I go to their site there are 8 to 10 different products and I can't see an easy comparison.

I ride in temperatures from 0F to 118F (-20C to +47C). Or at least I've ridden in those temperatures. As winter approaches, I'll be riding in temperatures around the freezing mark, I'll have my electric vest "if I need it" and grip heaters (likely riding my "soon to arrive" KLR650). In the summer I typically don't get much above 30C to 35C (high 80s to mid 90s) unless I take a trip south.

To date I typically ride with my aerostich for commuting. But for other riding I have an older Motoport Canyon II jacket (showing its age) and jeans (not the best). I'd like something light, comfortable, protective and not hot for summer riding (jacket and jeans) with appropriate inner inserts for cooler weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 1:20 pm

Oh darn, I forgot to mention that price truely isn't an issue (within reason). I'm in my late 50s and I want the protection and comfort and (again within reason) I can afford it. So if that means spending $2,000 I'll do that. And although you can't tell by my prior statement about riding in jeans (and a T-Shirt when the temps hit high 90s), I do place an extremely high value on safety.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Thumbs up

I have a Rukka Air Power for about a year now and for me it's the best combination for protection and comfort you can buy. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I road in temperatures ranging from 26 degrees to 103 degrees and have no complains whatsoever.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2007, 3:50 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Order placed...

While I was at the BMW dealer last night taking delivery of my new K12S (yeah!) I tried on the Comfort Shell suit again, which is the other suit I was considering. The other BMW suits textile suits seem to have bulky pockets on the front, and I am looking for something more streamlined (like my BMW Airflow jacket). Anyway, I found the armor in the Comfort Shell to be very UNcomfortable, and I couldn't get a clear answer on the temperature range that suit is designed for (this will be my colder weather gear, but I'm not a hard-core winter rider), so I decided to order the Rukka Armax suit. It has to be ordered from Europe, so I won't receive it for about 3 weeks, but I'll be glad to provide a review after I get it.

Ride safe...

Brian
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 8:57 pm

All this talk of Rukka has me thinking bad things about dumping $ into a nice "year round" jacket.

Perhaps this isn't the right forum for this but....does anyone know where to get the best deal on Rukka stuff?

Brian, it's been three weeks, what's the good word, is it worth it??
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 6:43 am
Enthusiast

Too busy riding? How's that new bike? And your Finnish togs?
I'm thinking about the cool leather pants (sold through BMW) which actually appear reflective to infrared but black to the eye. I was thinking about perforated leathers pants, so if anyone has these what's the story? Love hate?
Dave

KR Sport
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

No suit yet!

I'm a bit bummed - I told my wife this would be the perfect birthday present. My birthday was yesterday and still no suit! I checked last week and they are trying to track down a status. A different person at the store said "if the US distributor doesn't have it the it takes 4-6 weeks." That's different than the 3 weeks I was told initially. And god forbid something is the wrong size - by the time I get a replacement it will be 2008 and in the dead of winter in the NE!

I've been riding and really enjoying the K12S, although I have no good riding pants that fit me (I lost a buncha weight and everything is WAY too big now). I'm a believer in ATGATT, so I'm a bit conflicted here. I'm still in the break-in period, so I'm not doing anything too crazy. Although I must admit, I can't fathom what the bike must be like at RPMs above 7k, because it seems totally nuts just at 7k!

Brian
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:50 pm
Addict-oholic

Brian, I may be meeting a fellow rider from Newtown, CT ( about an hour away on 684/84.) leaving here about 11am. Meeting up at his house and doing a several hour tour of Litchfield area to see the foliage. If we don't do it tomorrow, I am thinking of taking Sunday to do it or similar.

In fact, It is almost 4PM, and I am going out for a little ride to satisfy my inner needs for an hour or so in the area.
Let me know if you have any interest in Thursday or Sunday.
Larry

[email protected]

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode