Dropped k12rs twice in a day, questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 8:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Dropped k12rs twice in a day, questions

Had a bad weekend. At a stop sign I dropped my bike, not sure how I lost balance but the weight got away from me and the bike went down on the right side. Threw my foot under the fairing and protected it but put a small scratch on mirror, passenger peg and bent the brake pedal. Engine ran a few seconds while on side too. Then later just after repairing the brake pedal I was taking it off the center stand (standing to the left side) and lost the bike again on the right side. This time it was scratched into the fiberglass in a few places also I notice some blue fluid near the rear brake which I couldn't source and the brake pedal was bent again.
Here are my questions:

Was there likely any engine damage when it ran on it's side the 2-4 seconds?
Is it ok to bend the aluminum back into shape?
This is my first bike, put 1k on it, I seem to have trouble with the center stand, how should one correctly use it?
Should I have the bike checked out at my local shop?
Should I make repairs immediately or wait a bit since I am new to this, don't plan on dropping again but I didn't plan to in the first place?
Where's a good place to get hardware?

Like I said I'm new so I would appreciate any helpful advice.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 8:44 pm
Veteran

Welcome to the site and the "Dropped K Klub". I dropped my '04KRS the first week I had it and I'm sure someone out there dropped their bike on the first day of ownership.

1) engine damage. Doubt it, while running for only a few seconds. Not much you can do about it or check for that matter.

2) bend aluminum. I guess your talking about the brake pedal? Well they are actually mild steel, and I have bent mine back a few times with no problems. You might check that the brake pedal adj. screw is making proper contact with the brake light switch and the thin steel strap is between the adj. screw and the switch!

3) centerstand. To take it off the stand, I grasp the left handlebar with my left hand and reach across to the right hardbag rail with my right hand and pull the bike forward with my right arm. This is a "learned" process. To put the bike on the centerstand. LEAVE the sidestand down while balancing the bike(because it CAN fall over to the left, it really doesn't care which side to fall on). Push the centerstand down to contact the ground. Find the point where BOTH feet of the centerstand make contact with the pavement and put a LOT of pressure on the centerstand footpad while pulling back on the lifting rail with your right arm.

4) Have the bike checked by a BMW shop. It wouldn't hurt anything, except your wallet. If your not familiar with the bike, I would. The dealer will not laugh, he has seen it many times before.

5) Repair the damage. This is up to you. My bike now has 38,700mi. on it and is still scratched. I wear those scratches like a badge of honor. And I know it is going to happen again, just because of all the near-misses I have had in the past 27mos.

5) Hardware? Buy from your local dealer, if he doesn't rip you a new one. There are discount dealers on the net. Chicago BMW or Hammersley BMW are a couple.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Sep 30th, 2007 at 8:50 pm.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 10:06 pm
Just saying hey

Off center stand

I agree with the above except taking the bike off center stand. I always sit on the bike and just roll it forward, too easy to loose it to the right otherwise. I usually hold the rear center of the tank with my right hand until I get the center stand down and evenly loaded then put my right foot on the center stand pedal, grab the left side rear handle and give it a small rock forward and quick hard back when putting it on the stand. I seldom use the side stand, also never had any fear of it rolling over towards me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 2:33 am

ah we have all done it but I agree on the way to get the bike on the centre stand.

When I stop I tend to put both feet down and if I stop to dismount I put bike on sidestand and then stand bike up and follow the procedure as the above thread say's.

I also sit on my bike when taking it off of the centre stand.............if I have to park anywhere on the side stand I always leave the bike in gear.

I have damaged my near side mirror on a fall in my garage, I got wedged in the doorway with the bike on top of me
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 4:00 am
Noob

Remember Neutral Gear before the Centerstand!

There are many of us out there that have dropped our bikes. I am one, who dropped by bike a couple of years ago just a few days after getting it delivered. Probably the result of being off of a bike for 20 years during the child-raising era. I dropped mine in front of my house while putting it up on the centerstand. Still had it in gear, which I did not realize and fought the bike to the point that it went to the right side due to the slight crown of my street. Frustrating, yes, but I got over it. I am very careful now to check for neutral before going to the centerstand.

This thread may turn into a 12-step program for those of us who don't want to realize that they have actually dropped their bike.

92 K75S, 02 K12RS
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 5:25 am
Addict

The blue fluid lost is anti-freeze - so check the coolant level in the rear reservoir!!

Most of us have dropped their bike at some time. As others say there's a learning process because these are very heavy bikes. I use Protechs method quite a bit, especially the sidestand trick. Your bike has merely been 'baptised' and just entered the order of K-bikes.

Here's a few things that came to mind when I first got mine and had some scary moments:

1) Look for level solid ground. A slight level slope rearwards is OK but frontwards needs the bike parked up in gear and you have to remember to reverse the sequence before riding off.

2) Ashphalt melts in hot weather: Either fit a 'Big Foot' on the sidestand or carry a 4"x4" plate in your bag.

3) On the highway, watch for steep camber near curbs. Park 45-90 degrees to the curb with the rear wheel just touching. Push the sidestand down before dismounting and learn to look down and judge its height before dismounting and rolling the bike on to it. Put your boot behind the sidestand as you rock the bike over - just in case you didn't spot a forward gradient.

4) Avoid riding on gravel - you can learn it, but it's scary.

5) When pulling up on the centre stand use very little pull on the bars (keep straight), put your right hand under the frame and use your foot hard on the stand to 'rotate' the bike on to it.

6) Carrying pillion: Rider mounts bike first centre stand up, sidestand down both feet planted and bike level or a slight angle towards the sidestand. Pillion mounts right side away from the (hot) can, push sidestand up and ride off.

7) Avoid doing 360 deg. turns and make them wide if you do them (low speed tipover)

8) If you layup the bike for a while or go on a trip, remind yourself to be careful as you will need to re-educate yourself on the weight and stand operation.

9) Wear proper riding boots as anything else on a wet surface may slip as you are hauling the bike up on the stand.

10) You may feel secure and confident in your garage, but space may be limited to shunt the bike around. Always put the sidestand down when pushing the bike about, push from the left side so it leans slightly to the left. If your clutch doesn't drag too much and you have short arms, slip the shift into second and use the clutch as a brake if you're holding the frame.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:11 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protechmarine
I agree with the above except taking the bike off center stand. I always sit on the bike and just roll it forward, too easy to loose it to the right otherwise. I usually hold the rear center of the tank with my right hand until I get the center stand down and evenly loaded then put my right foot on the center stand pedal, grab the left side rear handle and give it a small rock forward and quick hard back when putting it on the stand. I seldom use the side stand, also never had any fear of it rolling over towards me.
This is the approach I take.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:35 am

Bummer...been there...done that.

Check the radiator under the right panel, it could be damaged too. I dropped my RS, my wifes at the time, on the right side moving it by hand there was minimal damage to the panel but the brake lever was bent and the radiator was crushed. I replaced the brake pedal and the radiator immediately. Still have a small scar on the panel. I use the old bent brake pedal in my office as a door stop. It's always a reminder, not that I really need one.

regarding the center stand, use the sit on the bike method for awhile until your comfortable moving it off by hand. I notice that my RS leans to the right on the center stand a bit and that make it even harder to get off by hand.

Good Luck - FlagGS - now the proud owner of a '04 RS...sold my GS and bought my wife a new RT. She rode that RS for 2 years and 38K miles, I figure she gave it a good run.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:43 am
Addict

This bike is very heavy. I dropped it once in grass then a dozen times when I took it off road into some fire trails. Not the place for your K, btw.

Welcome to the club.

Now go ride,

Gravity
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:27 am

I dunno, guess everybody has their own way. I never take the bike off the centerstand while on it. I push the bars to the right and push it off the stand while standing next to it. It falls into me that way. No problem. And I never have the sidestand down while doing anything other than parking. Too easy to get tripped by it while moving the bike. And having the sidestand down while taking it off the centerstand is just asking for trouble of several different kinds. It is kind of an ungainly bike isn't it ?

geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode