Track riding- trail braking and front slip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Track riding- trail braking and front slip

I was reading a thread on Keith Code's forum about trail braking and the topic of front wheel slip came up.

How many of you are confident enough to corner hard enough to slide the front wheels?

I know watching Rossi riding SO LATE into a turn that he must KILL those front brakes and tires.

How 'bout our track dudes? Joker, 22, Eddie? Dave? Pirate? Even you Bent? Anyone else slip the fronts?

In a car, I can slide the front, back, drift, lift throttle oversteer, power on oversteer with the right car.

On my bike, nope. I can slide the rear on entry sometimes, a little power on exit scared me shitless. But, never the front. Too chicken shit to push hard enough that the front will slide a little. Probably why I still have chicken strips up front and none in the rear.

So I was wondering if this is a common thing on the track???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:20 pm

Nope. Nuh-uh. Not me.

I've done it a few times, but not on purpose. Each time it was a real rectum-clencher!

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:49 pm

sure no problem

Sure I slide the front, rear, both, drift, get some air on my KTM in the dirt. I began to learn how to regulate oversteer with the throttle in my Porsche. but on the street bike I like traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2007, 12:14 am Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenn75820
Sure I slide the front, rear, both, drift, get some air on my KTM in the dirt. I began to learn how to regulate oversteer with the throttle in my Porsche. but on the street bike I like traction.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2007, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ
Nope. Nuh-uh. Not me.

I've done it a few times, but not on purpose. Each time it was a real rectum-clencher!

Dave
Double ditto's on that.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 31,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 35 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:59 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I was reading a thread on Keith Code's forum about trail braking and the topic of front wheel slip came up.

How many of you are confident enough to corner hard enough to slide the front wheels?

Not really, as far as I'm (and most non-professional racers/track riding fellows) are concerned. I recall reading about front wheel slip on the first "A twist of the wrist", and being in awe of the guy. Then I put things into perspective: the theory was great, but it did relate to 25-years old bikes and tires. My position is "you don't want to do that on a modern bike on modern, track-oriented tires".

You can get away with that - and maybe be proficient in the technique, as in going faster than cornering with the two wheels gripping - with harder, less gripping street tires. They tend to handle heat much worse, so on a racetrack, when you start to raise the pace, they start to slide a little on both ends. But given the task they're built to perform, street tires have a larger "grey area" where you can slide them with some confidence. All on a track tarmac, obviously.

Doing that on race tires is, IMHO, a little dangerous since there's a concrete risk of them re-gripping and highsiding you - street tires lose grip when they overheat, so you can slide them even when NOT on the edge of the tire, race/track tires do slide when you lean way too much or overheat a little: in both cases there's a definite chance of the bike decreasing its lean angle or the tires shedding some heat and getting back the grip they search for. Some racers do find the latest race tyres predictable enough to ride them at race pace when they're over and slide them with confidence, but it's not a technique I recommend practicing unless you're ready to sacrifice a couple of bikes (and maybe bones) in the learning process. If you race, that may be necessary, if you don't I don't think so. Last time I recall being in that situation, on the exit of Tosa in Imola, the following outlook from my visor was tarmac-sky-ground-sky-Ducati996logo-sky-ground-sky-grass-sky-paramedic asking me if I was alright. An interesting experience, but I don't recommend it to anyone.

And I wouldn't take the MotoGP physics as something that may have anything to do with the bikes we can ride, on the road or track. The differences in what Rossi's or Stoner's equipment allows - and thus their racing technique is - may be worth a post in itself. I'm not lucky enough to have been able to test a MotoGP, but I got the chance to ride some laps on Ruben Xaus's WSB Ducati F05, and I have spoken with lots of fast guys
earning a living racing on world level, and the things they do on any given lap are enough to put a guy with normal skills - and normal bikes - in rehab for some months...

CYA, Ed

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW

I know watching Rossi riding SO LATE into a turn that he must KILL those front brakes and tires.

How 'bout our track dudes? Joker, 22, Eddie? Dave? Pirate? Even you Bent? Anyone else slip the fronts?

In a car, I can slide the front, back, drift, lift throttle oversteer, power on oversteer with the right car.

On my bike, nope. I can slide the rear on entry sometimes, a little power on exit scared me shitless. But, never the front. Too chicken shit to push hard enough that the front will slide a little. Probably why I still have chicken strips up front and none in the rear.

"Even you Bent"

No, I don't slide the front tire, track or street. It's called "asking for it". I've slid enough on the rear that I just don't worry too much about it with the street tires I run. To slide a front tire on a public road or track is insanity in action, IMHO. A sliding front tire means no more control for 99.9% of riders. A sliding rear means just stay on the gas and keep on keeping on.

The MotoGp riders are riding MotoGP races because they're light years ahead of the rest of "us". Ya think they can do things us humans can't??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2008, 2:29 pm
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW

Funny I found this thread after it being here for a year. That was the way I was taught 30 something years ago. Gum-ball RR slicks and trail breaking....yup. Now, (yesterday, in the freezing 25 deg. morning I did it on my M3's quite by accident.....almost saved me having to get my prostate surgery ) I never even think about doing it now. Nowhere around here to get that aggressive number one. And, I'm way to old to react properly anymore, number two.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:50 am
Veteran

nope never. i have lost traction momentarily, is what i call it, because it was unintended. twice on the front then had to relieve the cramp in my arsehole. minimal sliding in the rear on entry and exit but on accident. i lack the skills and don't intend on gaining knowledge in this department.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2008, 3:26 am
Addict

Anyone attempting to deliberately execute a loss of traction of the front tyre in a high speed corner would have to let go of one of their penis's first.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode