Russell Seat!! Do you have one? Do you.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Russell Seat!! Do you have one? Do you....

Hey gals and guys,
I am in the process of convincing the better half that we need a new seat for the GT. I need to get some feedback from the board about why you love/hate your seat.

I am about 99.875% sold on the Russell,,,,BUT,,,,, I still want to hear from You.

I am also playing with the Rick Mayer seat. However they do not seem to get the same positive feedback as the Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2007, 7:53 am
Addict

I picked up a used Russell for my '06 not too long ago. It seems like I sit a tad higher than with the stock seat and for some reason the seat seems hotter - with the heater turned off. It may just be me, or it could be because of the way the seat is built. The one thing that is really taking some time to get used to is the "wings" on the thing. At 6'3" I could easily flat foot at stop signs, now because of those wings, my thighs are pushed forward enough at stops that I'm not completely flat footed any more. Turns out that's why the original owner sold it. He did a lot of stop and go driving and could never get used to it.

Do I like the Russell? Well, it IS better than the stock seat, but those wings do take some getting used to. If you like to move around on the seat and kinda shift from one cheek to the other, the Russell won't work for you. Seems like you're pretty locked in. I'll try it a little longer, but I may end up ordering a Kontour next year to try it.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:15 pm
Telepathetic

I did a ride in for my Russell. The wife sent along her pics and #'s as she didn't want to ride in. I have had the Russell for a year and it is fine by me. The wife is now comfortable enough that she has started to nod off on long rides. I figure a good slab of velcro in appropriate places should keep her in place.

Good luck with your decision.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:10 am

I as well bought a second hand russell from this sight. Had the same observation about the wings but have since adjusted to them with no problem. When I first got it I always felt like I was sliding forward into the tank. I contacted russell and arranged to send the seat into them along with measurements and pics of me sitting on the bike. For a 150 bucks they modified the seat and now I really like it. As they say" no two seats are built the same". If I'm this happy with this one I could just imagine what one would be like if a person could do a ride in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:42 am
Addict

Russell seat

I have had my russell for over a year now on my '04 GT. The seat height and the "wing" thing take a bit of time to get used to. I only use the Russell on long trips and keep the stock seat for short rides. Here I should tell you, I had a GT seat (original) where the seat heater bit the dust. I found a used one for a good price, so I had the original seat converted by Russell.

I like the velcro idea for snoozing spouse....

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:09 pm
Veteran

Had one for nearly ten years on old RT. Still miss it. I got used to the wideness after a while, although I was apprehensive when I first discovered how far down the ground was from the stock design.

The wings support a much larger area so not as many hot spots result as with other designs. I doubt if you'll find anything more comfortable if you spend a lot of time in the saddle.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Well, I finalized the deal today. Thanks to all of you for your input. I have a build date of November 13th......
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:54 pm
Rider Journeyman

Russell vs. Mayer

Howdy Stefan,

I have several Russell seats and love them. I've met with Rick Mayer, seen his production and ride with many that love his seats. In short, they are both great producers of quality seats.

You should know that the Russell exclussive "spring" rider seat was designed and sold to Russell by Rick Mayer's father.

If you are a heavy and tall rider, then the Russell with springs is the only way to go. By heavy, I mean over 220#.

My pillion rider is extremely happy with the Russell. They don't use springs on the pillion.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode