'What I Want' Rant - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

'What I Want' Rant

Three years ago I traded in a Honda VTR1000 for my K1200RS and almost immediately started having pangs for something a little more sporty to add to the garage. No disrespect to the KRS, as it will tour all day loaded up like a pack mule, rail the sweepers and not embarrass itself (or me) at easy track days, but you can't ignore the fact that, light on it's feet, it ain't. So this summer I hit as many demo rides as possible. The candidates: K1200S - refined and fast but still fairly long and heavy and probably too much power for me (you can start the 'pussy' emails now). F800S - A nice ride but lacking two things I have really gotten used to...stump pulling torque and the 'lever' suspension's anti dive. Lastly the R1200S - major drool factor here...managed to get an extended demo on this beauty but after an hour and a half I was painfully reminded of why I got rid of the VTR. The sad fact is my mid fifties body/mind no longer can/wants to suffer function for form (and now for the 'geezer' replies). SO WHAT DO I WANT? How about a genetic mutation of the old R1100S ergos with the go and styling of the R1200S or maybe a 1000 cc F bike with a 'lever' front end...anything that I can ride all day and that makes me feel like I'm still 'kickin it'. BMW ARE YOU LISTENING?
And while I'm at it...we already have 170 HP motors and electronic suspensions, how hard can it be to design and build an easily adjustable, variable position handle bar!
There, I feel better, I'll go take my meds now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by likitysplit
Three years ago I traded in a Honda VTR1000 for my K1200RS and almost immediately started having pangs for something a little more sporty to add to the garage. No disrespect to the KRS, as it will tour all day loaded up like a pack mule, rail the sweepers and not embarrass itself (or me) at easy track days, but you can't ignore the fact that, light on it's feet, it ain't. So this summer I hit as many demo rides as possible. The candidates: K1200S - refined and fast but still fairly long and heavy and probably too much power for me (you can start the 'pussy' emails now). F800S - A nice ride but lacking two things I have really gotten used to...stump pulling torque and the 'lever' suspension's anti dive. Lastly the R1200S - major drool factor here...managed to get an extended demo on this beauty but after an hour and a half I was painfully reminded of why I got rid of the VTR. The sad fact is my mid fifties body/mind no longer can/wants to suffer function for form (and now for the 'geezer' replies). SO WHAT DO I WANT? How about a genetic mutation of the old R1100S ergos with the go and styling of the R1200S or maybe a 1000 cc F bike with a 'lever' front end...anything that I can ride all day and that makes me feel like I'm still 'kickin it'. BMW ARE YOU LISTENING?
And while I'm at it...we already have 170 HP motors and electronic suspensions, how hard can it be to design and build an easily adjustable, variable position handle bar!
There, I feel better, I'll go take my meds now.
Go test ride a Honda VFR. I have two of them in addition to my K1200R with Cee Bailey Sport Screen. The VFR has a VERY loyal following. They aren't perfect at anything but very good at most things. As for cornering ability, I've outrun CBR's and much hotter sport bikes but maybe I can ride. They're an easy bike to get used to and are GREAT in the twisties.

That said, and NOT to be a smart ass, I'm around your age and being in shape really helps. I rode 250 tight twistie miles fast this morning, ate lunch, let it settle, then swam 2000 yards, watched the end of the Atlanta race and am still going alert. Fitness in motorcycle riding make a huge difference. Just trying to help.

Oh, and let's not trash each other's bikes....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 8:42 pm

I don't think you are a wuss.

About the K1200S. It isn't scary from a power perspective, in fact, it is much more compliant than my '06 Speed Triple with regards to behaving. The K will do what you WANT it to do. Get what you are comfortable with in any case. That is the wise decision to make.

If you want another option take a look at a Triumph Sprint. Flat tractable torque? Cheaper than a VFR? Yes & Yes. I would have had one but I didn't like the idea of chain maintenance on a sport tourer. Pretty fast without being a bruiser...

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Agree with you on all accounts. Although I have not ridden the VFR, everything I have heard about the bike suggests that it may be one of the best all around bikes available. I do however suffer from a few quirks that that scratch the VFR from my list - I like the character of a sporting twin and am partial to half fairing styling.
Fitness is essential. Still carrying the same 150 lb as I did in highschool and except for a years layoff due to other physical issues, maintain a workout schedule. It's more a matter of no longer willing to put up with the sore hands and butt that seem to come with the more extreme riding positions. Where I live it's a least a 2 hour ride to anything twisty so comfort is key.
I'd never trash anyone's bike...I love them all. I'm just pointing out those things which are relevant to me personally - which is what you do in a self indulgent rant.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 8:49 pm

I can vouch for both points. I had a VFR and am sorry I ever let it go. But then I had a year 2000 model, before the new engine with the Variable Valve Timing. Took it to the track a number of times but could still ride 600+ Kilometer days. And, I also agree that I was in better shape during those track days a few years, about 40 pounds lighter. Got a real workout on the track.

The VFR is a bit porky though, it is not nearly the lightest bike out there. But for the weight and doing some canyon carving and track days (put on some sticker tires, let the pressure down a bit, make sure the suspension is appropriate) it is a LOT of fun.

Maybe Honda will redo the VFR and get rid of the VTEC and in place bump the HP AND Torque and drop about 50 pounds off the bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
I can vouch for both points. I had a VFR and am sorry I ever let it go. But then I had a year 2000 model, before the new engine with the Variable Valve Timing. Took it to the track a number of times but could still ride 600+ Kilometer days. And, I also agree that I was in better shape during those track days a few years, about 40 pounds lighter. Got a real workout on the track.

The VFR is a bit porky though, it is not nearly the lightest bike out there. But for the weight and doing some canyon carving and track days (put on some sticker tires, let the pressure down a bit, make sure the suspension is appropriate) it is a LOT of fun.

Maybe Honda will redo the VFR and get rid of the VTEC and in place bump the HP AND Torque and drop about 50 pounds off the bike.
I don't think VTEC is going to be removed. I own a 1999 without VTEC and a 2006 with VTEC. Makes absolutely no difference which bike I ride. The people that have trouble with VTEC are the ones that don't have smooth throttle hands. Anyone without a smooth throttle hand needs to stay off the twisties!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:47 am
Veteran

fitness

"That said, and NOT to be a smart ass, I'm around your age and being in shape really helps. I rode 250 tight twistie miles fast this morning, ate lunch, let it settle, then swam 2000 yards, watched the end of the Atlanta race and am still going alert. Fitness in motorcycle riding make a huge difference. Just trying to help. "

I am older than any of you. But you forgot to mention SEX!!! What the hell do you think get up at 0500 hours every morning for (cepting two) 90 minutes of hard exercise!!
I can ride 1500 K in a day and I love to meet the kids on the twisties. But keeping fit makes me as horny as a hairy nosed wombat. If you exercise you can do everything better, ride bikes, absorb study material, and SEX. (shit sorry, got carried away there)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio

"That said, and NOT to be a smart ass, I'm around your age and being in shape really helps. I rode 250 tight twistie miles fast this morning, ate lunch, let it settle, then swam 2000 yards, watched the end of the Atlanta race and am still going alert. Fitness in motorcycle riding make a huge difference. Just trying to help. "

I am older than any of you. But you forgot to mention SEX!!! What the hell do you think get up at 0500 hours every morning for (cepting two) 90 minutes of hard exercise!!
I can ride 1500 K in a day and I love to meet the kids on the twisties. But keeping fit makes me as horny as a hairy nosed wombat. If you exercise you can do everything better, ride bikes, absorb study material, and SEX. (shit sorry, got carried away there)
For those of you know didn't know it, Papilio is "The Most Interesting Man in the World" from those Dos Equis beer commercials in the US. He bench presses two nurses while they sit in chairs, frees bears from steel traps...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
For those of you know didn't know it, Papilio is "The Most Interesting Man in the World" from those Dos Equis beer commercials in the US. He bench presses two nurses while they sit in chairs, frees bears from steel traps...
As for the nurses, I would rather.....nevermind.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:36 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Uh...the chairs were photoshopped in for the U.S. audience.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode