Sunglasses Recommendations? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Sunglasses Recommendations?

What sunglasses do you use and can recommend? Why do you like them?

I need a new pair that is good for riding. They should have high quality optics. They should be shaped so that the frame doesn't block my view of the gauges or allow the sun to creep in from above or reduce my peripheral vision. (No "skinny" frames!). They should be durable enough that the stems don't break when I put them on through a tight-fitting, full-face helmet. I have read that polarized lenses reduce the viewability of the BMW computer display on my K1200GT. (Is that true?)

I have a pair of Serengeti Drivers that recently broke. I like the brand, but they haven't made my favorite frame design for many years, and I thought I'd look around for something newer and better. "Better" means quality and functionality more than fashion style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:51 am
Veteran

I use and prefer the same sunglasses. Have you tried googling it?

http://www.nextag.com/serengeti-driver/search-html

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:17 am

I prefer Oakley myself.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I need a new pair that is good for riding. They should have high quality optics. They should be shaped so that the frame doesn't block my view of the gauges or allow the sun to creep in from above or reduce my peripheral vision. (No "skinny" frames!). They should be durable enough that the stems don't break when I put them on through a tight-fitting, full-face helmet. I have read that polarized lenses reduce the viewability of the BMW computer display on my K1200GT. (Is that true?)
I like the Oakley Wires. Not bulky, fit well with helmet on, metal frames don't bend or brake like plastic but they are skinny, sorry.
Polarized, well you can read the computer but if you wear a helmet with a face shield you will have rainbow of colors to view. There seems to be some kind of coating on modern shields that reacts with polarized lens. Kind of like oil on water.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:49 pm

I have a pair of Wiley X SG-1 V-Cut with a Rx ground into them and they are great

clunk here
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 2:09 pm
Would rather be riding

Oakley, polarized no problem

I have these Oakley Polarized Titanium Whisker and I think they're great. I'm addicted to these brown/amber lenses for anything but nighttime. When it's hazy or foggy the amber helps contrast.

They are polarized, which does produce some interesting effects when combined with a helmet faceshield -- mostly the sky gets spots of gold/green/magenta. Occasionally you'll notice funny reflections off the tar snakes on the road. I've never had a problem reading my K1200GT display or Nav III display. Some gas pump displays are hard to read, but that's the only time I've noticed a problem.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 2:23 pm
Enthusiast

I only wear high quality polarized lenses, and the brown tint - not the blue gray. The brown tint do not darken they sharpen and can be worn even at dusk or overcast conditions. Plastic bendable frames with wire insde allow them to bend and snap back into shape.

A few brands that I like are Vaurnet (not sure oif they still make them), Maui Jim HCL Bronze lens, Revo or other high quality brand.

This is what I wear now and they are awesome;

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...=LFH110-10.jpg

Ed
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 3:28 pm
fas

Ray-Ban

Ray-Ban by Luxottica, 100% UV protection, made in Italy, no issues with my GT display. Superb large coverage. The frames can take the bending required to slip inside the full face hellmet.

Getting so dark here in OH now I may not need them..... :wtf

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 7:44 pm

Note that with my Shoei Multitech, the padding in it is set up to allow for glasses. Put the helmet on and your glasses fit on easily. Best helmet I've had for this, doesn't press against my temples or the back of my ears.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:35 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
I use and prefer the same sunglasses. Have you tried googling it?

http://www.nextag.com/serengeti-driver/search-html
Yes, I have. Unfortunately they don't make the old Aviators with the square-cut frames. They still make the teardrop shaped Aviator frames, but the bottom of the teardrop lens gets caught between my cheek and my helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode