Adjustable front shock - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2007, 1:31 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Adjustable front shock

My '04 KRS is going for warranty work (heated grip and final drive leak) which is going to involve having the plastic and rear drive off. It seems like a good opportunity to upgrade the suspension. On their website, Ohlins recommends an S36D front, and S46HR1C1LS rear. The rear is, of course, adjustable for bump and rebound, but the front shock is adjustable only for preload.

Searching around, I also see that the S36HR1C1L can also be fitted to the front. It, too, is fully adjustable like the rear. I don't remember hearing anybody talking about the issue of adjustable vs. non-adjustable front shocks. Many have talked about how the new suspension transforms the bike, and I have just assumed that everybody was talking about a "fixed" shock in front.

Now that I'm thinking about shocks I see that many bikes still use conventional forks and, when upgrading forks, the new forks are fully adjustable...without a second thought.

The adjustable front shock for the RS is about $250 more. CanI have your thoughts about whether or not it's something to consider? Thanks, Bill

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2007, 7:40 pm
Looking for better limits...

Just curious...when they say the front is adjustable, what are they offering?

There's hydraulic preload vs. locking rings (locking rings are a pita), rebound, low speed compression and high speed compression.

But, if you're going to be on the track as well as the road, having adjustments is a good thing...second thing is to have someone who does suspension settings give you a short course on how to set it up for your riding style.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2007, 8:11 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

It looks like this is the shock they're talking about: http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Pro...7/Default.aspx

This shock is adjustable for bump and rebound. Looks like no hydraulic preload - I guess they set the preload when they set the sag and call it a day.

I know about tuning suspensions from my SCCA days. The question is whether this adjustability is going to change my life on the bike. FWIW, the shop suggests only the non-adjustable shock for the front of the K1200S.

I'll get them on the phone tomorrow and report back if I learn anything useful. Thanks Ray.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Enthusiast

I went with the Ohlin's front and rear on my 02 KRS. BM701, BM702. The front isn't adjustable except for the locking rings that adjust preload. Rear is fully adjustable. Paid $1852 including install. Locking rings are a PITA. Not something you'll want to get off and adjust during a ride.

IMO adjusting damping and preload on the front just isn't needed that often unless you're racing. Load stays pretty constant on the front even with a 130 pound passenger. Rear is a different story. I adjust my rear preload when riding two up or using bags. Damping is a fine line unless you're very familiar with shock tuning. I pretty much leave mine alone.

I'm relatively happy with the results. If you weigh within the BMW stock shock parameter of 175 lbs, you probably don't really need Ohlins. The only reason I spent the money was due to bottoming out with passenger. I weigh about 230. Heavier rear spring helped. The front spring is the same no matter what you weigh. Ohlins only has one front spring for any RS. Ohlins is a good suspension system, but don't expect miracles.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:30 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

I spoke with the shop this morning: http://www.propilotsuspension.com/

They say that the adjustable shock for the RS is good. They also have an adjustable shock for the new S. It is adjustable for preload and rebound, but not compression.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 9:36 pm
Looking for better limits...

The Wilbers I got for my GT had no hydraulic pre-load adjustment available for the front, either, just the rings. Fortunately, they set it up almost spot on. I guess the front doesn't get extra weight on it regardless of the load.

Good that you've got some shock tuning expertise from the past, as some of that tweaking can drive you nuts if you don't know why it's being tweaked.

Watched as Dave Moss played with mine a bit the previous weekend. Set up well, just a bit more on the rebound and it was blessed as good. He was using a front wheel chock, and it was the first time I've seen someone adjust the suspension by adjusting the rear to match the operation of the front. Maybe they all do that, I just hadn't noticed before...

Also suggested that I crank in all the rear preload for track school and half a turn on the rebound (more damping). Good stuff, good guy to talk to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode