Another junk on the highway post - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2007, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Another junk on the highway post

Driving home the other evening from spotting ducks and geese for a hunt the next day, we saw a rider and bike down in the ditch beside a 270 degree off ramp, locally called a clover leaf.
When we got to him he was fine. He had full gear on and there was no guard rail there. He said he hit a piece of vinyl siding laying on the off ramp... tried to miss it but too late. When he rode over the vinyl it slid and the bike with it. He showed us the hunk of siding.. it probably wasn't a foot square. His new MT 01 Honda was not in good shape. Wierd looking bike.
I'm guessing he made the wrong decision and should have tried to straighten out rather than dodge it. He claimed he wasn't going very fast and the light was bad.
Any way watch out for the shit people lose on the road it can be deadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2007, 10:00 pm

thanks north... i see siding laying in the road sometimes... but most of the time i see it along the tight turns at freeway exits... see diesel there from too full tanks quite a bit too...

when i see stuff i call it out to my wench... in the truck and on the bike... we have developed a habit of calling out road debris when we see it... its amazing that some of the stuff stays there in the same place for weeks... i dont know if you have ever been to los angels but this is what i saw today in my truck along the 36 mile stretch from anaheim to el segundo...

ladder in right lane... already been hit a couple times...

multiple orange cones scattered around and one laying on the car pool lane line where motorcycles generally ride passing slower cars...

multiple 4 x 4s and 2 x 4s on the shoulder by the slow lane...

multiple 5 gallon buckets against the median by the car pool lane...

multiple car bumpers against the median by the car pool lane and on the shoulder next to the right lane...

metal window frames with glass broke out scattered on the road...

a 20' semi trailer 4" tie down with full ratchet still attached...

multiple bungee straps with metal hooks...

half a sheet of dry wall all chewed up by tires in the middle lanes along with a bent up metal trash can lid...

plus all the usual crap...

crazy aint it...

owrstrich
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:27 am
Addict

Unhappy Scawy!

Astounding.I well remember the lawn chairs and picnic coolers and,yes,a ladder,on the interstate.Boards,pipes,you name it.
You really do have to be heads up all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 1:03 am
Enthusiast

Isn't the MT01 a Yamaha product? Funky.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 7:09 am

I've been a victim of vinyl siding too. The piece I ran across and was dumped by was a full length section, which made dodging it in traffic, going around a corner, impossible. The best I could have done was drive acroos it and into oncoming traffic. Luckily it was low speed and the scrapes were minimal. I now give myself more room between the bike and the vehicle in front of me. Live and learn.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Sorry Yamaha MT01... My stoopid. It is still ugly though.
Someone mentioned the bungee straps on the road, pretty common. I ran over one in my car and the damm thing stuck in my tire and beat the hell out of the wheel well before I got stopped to change the tire which was going flat... that would be fun on the bike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:52 pm

i hate those bungee straps for that reason...

today between torrence and orange on the 405 and the 22 we spotted several more cones... coolers... boots... tires... backpacks... trash bags... box springs... lazy boy... some 10' lengths of angle iron... plus all the general crap...

and one hd of course...

and now that siding was brought up i have noticed several beater pick up trucks hauling vinyl siding just waiting to be bounced off onto the road...

crazy aint it...

owrstrich
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Dodged a ladder laying across the number 3 lane of the 101 SB in Oxnard today. Pulled over and called it in to 911 because it was a trap waiting to nail someone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode