MCN spanks the Connie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

MCN spanks the Connie

In a shootout with the FJR, an ST1300 and the new Connie, the Connie came in dead last in every aspect. Ergo's, engine, handling, instruments, everything.

The FJR came out on top.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2007, 1:34 am
Veteran

in an ad in motorcyclist about 4 months ago, the honda st was rated the top bike over the fj and the bmw. this was prior to the concourse being released. I guess everyone has an opinion. overall i think the honda and kawi are good "budget" bikes, but i would prefer the bimmer.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2007, 9:44 am
Veteran

Got a link to the article?? or is it print only? I'm about the buy an FJ and I'd like to see waht they say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Fjr

Jerry (Pirate),

I don't know about the newer FJR's but my friend has an 05, which I have ridden and the suspension just sucks. I have read that Yamaha fixed a lot of issues with the FJR in the 06 model including the heat shielding problems that definitely roast nuts. Depending on how you will use it I would seriously consider taking a close look at the suspension. On the 05 the front is not adjustable and the rear has two settings, hard and soft along with rebound damping.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Got a link to the article?? or is it print only? I'm about the buy an FJ and I'd like to see waht they say...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Hey Jerry, There's some issues they gave bonus to the FJR as those issues would be fixed in '08, the tranny being one. The article isn't coming up on their website http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/

But guess what, ya mangey curr? I went outside opened the garbage can and there it sat, right on top. Undefiled and spoiled. I'm mailing it off to you, Tuesday. Arrrrgh.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 8:27 am
Veteran

Thx, mate!!! I'll be looking forward to it.. Very kind of ya.

and for future reference... I have nothing against "defiled" or "spoiled".. Arrrrrrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Jerry, There's some issues they gave bonus to the FJR as those issues would be fixed in '08, the tranny being one. The article isn't coming up on their website http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/

But guess what, ya mangey curr? I went outside opened the garbage can and there it sat, right on top. Undefiled and spoiled. I'm mailing it off to you, Tuesday. Arrrrgh.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 9:51 am

It's funny how the "glossy" magazines gushed over the C14 and proclaimed it "Bike of Forever" even before it was released with their quick look type of reporting. Let's see- How many full page, full color ads are there is those mags?

MCN does a real test and it doesn't come up to their expectations, even the porky Honda out shines it. How many full page color ads in there?

Makes ME wonder.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 31,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 35 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:47 am
Enthusiast

IMO the Concours wins big in one department. Uglyest exhaust. That's saying something when you look at the hunk of iron hanging on a BMW. I'd really hate to even see one without the bags.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:26 am
Addict

Superbike Magazine test sees the GTR14 get spanked too. But it still ranks her third, after the K12GT and Honda PanEuropean, and before the FJR. Truth be told, though, the article says the Yam could be great, except for the no-clutch lever auto shift feature...

CYA, Ed

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 4:15 pm
Looking for better limits...

Rode both the FJR and the Connie this weekend at the motorcycle show. FJR was a better ride. Smoother, power more consistant, low end had better response. Not enough to do a real evaluation, but if they were side-by-side, I'd grab the FJR. No heat on the FJR, but after the 30 minute ride, both ankles were warm to the touch. Ride leader said I need to point my toes downward to scoop up some cooler air... :wtf

Got back on the GT and went home. Nothing impressed me to even consider a replacement by either one, although the Yamaha side case had no problem storing my helmet (Arai Large Quantum II)

[hyjack]Had a blast test-riding a Kawi Z1000. Hard-assed seat, but it sure made riding a motorcycle a lot of fun...hooligan bike indeed![/hyjack]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode