Whats the dumbest thing you've done on 2 wheels? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Whats the dumbest thing you've done on 2 wheels?

I tried to wheely off the center stand once wont do that again stand didnt pop up, was still down when I landed.Didnt know the kickstarter was up my pant leg one time,until I stopped and the bike leaned to the right.Couldnt put foot down.Fell over like the guy on Laff In on the trike.Ever not be into maintenence?I didnt check all the bolts and had the front wheel fall off going over a jump.About 35-40 mph,still got scars.I had a cheap rain suit,poncho type blow over my head at a stop light, thought the guy next to me was going to wet himself.I did learn not to stop to close to truck hauling cattle, never knew a cow could piss that far.Drowned me, again the guy behind was going into convulsions watching me try to back up and gag and spit at the same time. Any others have stupid stories you want to share with us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 3:09 am
Addict

It's so long ago now I can tell it how it happened and laugh:

In my teens I used to have a BSA Super Rocket 650, full chrome and a stunner of the day. One day I mounted up with pillion, put on hard lock to do a 180 and the steering froze putting both of us on the kerb with onlookers staring in amazement. Fortunately the bike had front and rear chrome crash bars and no plastic. But what the f***?

It turns out the bike had a fork lock with a bolt that dropped vertically into a hole in the fork plate on full lock. A spring holding the bolt up had broken and as the fork plate slid around in the turn, the bolt dropped in the hole and locked the steering.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 3:11 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Nah, thanks, I think yours a plenty for the rest of us. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 8:35 am
Enthusiast

Now that's was some funny shit! Mine were just dumb but harmless.
At a dead stop on my VTX 1800C, I tried to put the shifter into neutral before I started the bike, of course the kickstand was up, and my left foot got stuck under the shifter and I then started leaning just past center... to the left. I fell into my friends lawn and was laugh hard inside my fullface helmet. He and another riding buddy thought I was going into convulsions or something. The picture of the Laugh-In tricycle just cracked me up. Just cracked the rear turn signal housing. I had 37 miles on the bike at that time.

KR Sport
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 9:40 am
Addict-oholic

The year.1958, demonstrating the stability of a Vespa ( I was helping the importer dealer), I locked down the throttle with some duct tape, and stood on the seat and steered using my waving hands. All this at 15mph down the main drag of Hyannis on Cape Cod.
My problem, was not setting it up, but trying to end by getting back on the seat to grab the handlebar and throttle to stop. I did it but, it took a crash into the back of a truck as I was slowing down. Oh, and I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and "bubble googles" for mandatory face protection as the law required in those days to get a motorcycle license.

There were about 50 people, clapping and watching the college kid make a fool of himself.

Needless today at age 70. it is ATGATT religously, even in 100 degree heat.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:33 pm

kick start my old 380GT (Suzuki 3 cylinder 2 stroke) without checking to see if the passenger peg was down.... needless to say...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Dumbest Thing on 2 Wheels

In 1983 I was riding my Yamaha 400 Special home from girlfriends house in Nanuet NY. It was about 2 am on a weekend. I got about 10 miles from her house and my headlight went out. I rode all the way home (another 25 miles or so to Cornwall NY) without a headlight. I rode up the Pallisades Parkway and 9W (both 4 lane highways) with nothing but my tailight and the grace of god.

Needless to say, I would not try that today...

Pete

'03 K12RS
'95 525i/5spd
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 9:40 pm

My first bike was a 1973 Triumph Daytona. Spent 2 weeks running it up and down my parents 30' driveway learning how to ride it. Finally the day comes to actually ride it on the road. Pull out of the driveway and roll on the the throttle just like I practiced...SHIT!! NEVER ACTUALLY PRACTICED TURNING!!. Put her into the curb across the street, plowed up some of the neighbors grass and finished of with a couple of classy somersaults. Not a scratch on me or the bike but it took me a month before I could swallow my embarrassment and (successfully) try it again.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Veteran

A long time ago, Kryptonite sold disk locks all by themselves. They hadn't invented the stretchy cable that reminds you when a disk lock is attached. I used a disk lock for years without making a mistake, but eventually the inevitable happened. One afternoon I forgot to remove the lock, and tried to ride off with it still attached to a front rotor. The bike fell over, but nothing was damaged and I wasn't hurt.

It happened in a parking lot in the sight of two women, who jumped to the conclusion that I was intoxicated, even though I had had nothing to drink. I was completely and totally sober. These two self-righteous women came over to lecture me on the evils of riding drunk. I got busy righting the bike and preparing to ride off, and didn't pay them much attention. Seeing this, they started yelling loudly about how I was a besotted, uncaring, irresponsible fiend who was planning to run over little children, and then get myself killed and go directly to h#!!, leaving a wake of carnage and heartbroken parents who could never have the satisfaction of sueing me.... (or something like that). It was a nightmare. They were loud and obnoxious, and the harangue went on and on.

I tried to explain what had happened, but they were way past hearing anything I had to say, and they clearly didn't believe me when I told them that I hadn't been drinking. Curious onlookers started coming over to watch and listen.

By that time, I was hot and flushed in my leather jacket and helmet after lifting the heavy bike, I felt stupid and humliated for forgetting to remove the disk lock, I was embarrassed by the attention of the onlookers, and I was ready to commit serious violence on those women. In other words, I wasn't fit to ride any more. I left the bike on its kickstand and went back inside the building. I walked over to the water cooler, filled a large cup, and spent the next half-hour cooling off.

Fortunately for them, the women were nowhere to be seen when I calmly walked out, started my bike, and rode off.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 7:52 am
Riding in company

I had a '69 Bonneville. I gave it a good cleaning one day and finished up with Armor All on the seat. Shortly thereafter I starter her up, snicked into gear, dropped the clutch...and the bikey squirted right out from under me.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode