Winter or Summer? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Winter or Summer?

It's hard to tell sometimes out here in SoCal. Winter gear in the mornings....summer gear in the afternoon. Later this week it's going to get hot again. One thing is for sure...it never rains...so I don't use the rain gear too much.Do any of the SoCal riders have a favorite jacket and pants that can handle everything well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Enthusiast

I'm certainly not qualified to answer from a California point of view, but I can tell you that I have been able to use my Olympia AST jacket and Ranger pants both summer (hot as hell) and winter (pretty damn cold) with not complaints. Well, except that the pants are pretty toasty in the heat. I've been told that the Olympia Airglide pants work very well in the heat and are quite comfy in cold weather with the lining in, so I will probably get a pair of those next spring.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 3:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
It's hard to tell sometimes out here in SoCal. Winter gear in the mornings....summer gear in the afternoon. Later this week it's going to get hot again. One thing is for sure...it never rains...so I don't use the rain gear too much.Do any of the SoCal riders have a favorite jacket and pants that can handle everything well?
NO!!! I have the late spring to early fall(except this week) mesh jacket, The late fall and early spring Hein Gericke and the dead of winter (Huh?) Aerostich with an electric liner, if needed. All this in the heart of SoCal! Oh, jeans for pants, all the time.
With SoCal. temps. ranging from just below freezing in winter to 115+ in the summer, it's impossible to have just one jacket.IMHO

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Nov 19th, 2007 at 3:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Looking for better limits...

Savana II (BMW) jacket and pants. Year 'round. However, I have a phase-change undercoat that I've started wearing, and a Gerbing jacket when it gets colder (usually around late January, February timeframe).
Rain suit in the side case.
You're talking about a 60F range, without the windchill factor. Going to be tough to find a "one-suit-does-all".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Atlantis

Quote:
I'm in the Inland Empire and I have a strange recomendation:
During the winter (from now until ~middle of May), I wear the BMW Atlantis leather suit. It's perfect for 30's in the morning, and perfectly fine up to mid to high 90's in the afternoon. It's also waterproof, so that's a non problem, as well. Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

great responses....I kinda am leaning towards an aerostitch riding suit....just haven't decided which color. I know this suit is not insulated so what will I need besides an electric vest and a good pair of jeans? Atlantis suit is a great option...can I have it tailored?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
great responses....I kinda am leaning towards an aerostitch riding suit....just haven't decided which color. I know this suit is not insulated so what will I need besides an electric vest and a good pair of jeans? Atlantis suit is a great option...can I have it tailored?
There a few things to consider when looking into electrics. Liner or vest???
I ride a lot from SoCal to Phoenix at night. For the past 3 winters I used an electric vest. It will keep your body toasty, but by the time I get to the river(180mi. and at 4am.,pst.) my arms are getting a little cold. The only way around this is to multi-layer your clothes and you look a little like the Michelin man.
If you go with the Aerostich suit over jeans. I don't think you will need anything else for your legs. My Darien jacket is virtually windproof. I would think the 'stich suits are also.
This winter I purchased an electric liner and plan to only wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath. I'll see how it goes. I will bring extra clothes in-case it doesn't work out. For leg warmth, I use a pair of ski overalls. Work great, cost $8.00 at Goodwill. I use chemical foot warmers for riding at night(good for 5hrs.) and a pair of glove liners from WalMart in addition to the heated grips.
One other thing, I had my BMW power receptacle fail in Blythe one very early Jan. morning and my only electric vest control was an on/off switch(bare minimum!!). Took all the fun out of that ride!!! Now I have a aux. fuse panel and a separately fused Warn & Safe permanent controller.

I just had a thought. A friend of mine has a MotoPort Kevlar 2-piece riding gear set made for him. The salesman met him in Temecula to measure and custom tailor a suit for him. Great stuff, but WAY over my budget. http://www.motoport.com/index.asp

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Nov 19th, 2007 at 9:46 pm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2007, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Aerostich Roadcrafter is an awesome suit.......except when it's hot. I had the one piece suit until last year and found that it was just too hot in the summer. That's the first year I had my GT and since the fairing and windscreen block so much air it was hard to take when the temps were much above 80 degrees. When I had my naked bike the extra wind hitting me made the suit much more tolerable. I found it to be pretty good in the winter with jeans and some good insulation on my torso, no electric vest. Just something to consider since you are looking for an all-season suit.

'03 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode