Sears Point/Infineon Raceway - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 11:05 am Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Sears Point/Infineon Raceway

Anyone ridden on that track?

If so, what are/were you thoughts on riding that track?

I've got a track school there next week, and figured some of you might have some track-knowledge you'd share.

Been on Laguna Seca once, back in March, so I'm also a bit curious how they compare (other than they go in opposite directions).

Thanks...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 11:37 am
Addict

I was on Infineon about a 6 weeks ago. It was my first and only track day so I don't have anything to compare it to. Unfortunately it rained on and off the whole day. We had 4 bikes go down in the first session and 8 or 10 went down during the course of the day (out of 40-50 bikes). Needless to say, I made sure to take at easy on the first couple of laps during each session to try and get the tires warmed up. It sure was challenging not to look at the rider that fell right in front of me, I kept repeating in my head look at your line, not the rider lol.

I was expecting it to be a much faster track than it is. There were only a couple of places where I was able to get into 3rd gear and with the rain I used first in a lot of the corners. Hopefully it will be a nice day and youll get a chance to tear it up.

Are you required to drain your coolant and if so how are you doing it, yourself or with the dealer?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:49 pm
fas

Sears Point

I did Skip Barber there in a Formula Ford. Loved the track. Lots of good vertical stuff and off camber surfaces. Technically more challenging than Laguna Seca.

Be careful on the long down hill off camber sweeper. It's after the "jump" if you are carrying enough speed. Lots of folks underestimate the centrifugal forces there and throw it off on the right, especially when some idiot lifts due to fear or lack of experience. The S'es also catch folks who try to lift. If you stay on it and work up your speed lap after lap you will be fine. Just watch out for the idiots who are all balls, sans brains. Plan ahead and look ahead and you will be smiling all the way.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. Good info. "More technical than Laguna Seca"...ah. Laguna Seca was fun, looks like I have to work now.

As for the coolant, no, no change. Exactly why, I don't know, but my best guess is that I'm so low on the totum pole I'm not expected to be riding at a skill level where any crash would be the kind that would put coolant on the track. Most of any mishaps (since you're not competing) would put you and the bike off the track. I don't think the classes even approach having 40 riders on the track. Maybe 18...

But, that's just my guesses.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Hail Ceaser...

Will be on the way up later today (Monday). Funny to see the bike in the trailer, but hey...just in case. I don't expect to do anything other than roll it back in Wednesday afternoon when it's all over. But it seems to be dissin' the motorcycle gods by rding it up there, riding 50 laps pushing limits, then expecting to mount the mirrors and turn signals back on and toddle home.

Will take some picture (of others), and hopefully, a friend of mine can get a couple of me sitting straight up going over turn 2

Couple of folks I talked to said you need to bring lots of faith...faitht the road you can't see is still there. Should be "interesting" :wtf

Hopefully will provide an update on Thursday after everything is unloaded. Hopefully, too, the grin doesn't go away for a week...

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:04 am
JCW
contributor

Look forward to some pics!!

Are you doing the track day on the GT?

Awesome!

BTW, sounds stupid, but these new video games with the digitized replicas of tracks around the country is a cool way to get to "know" a track before actually being there.

Surprisingly accurate. And after a hundred of so "virtual" laps, you really get a feel for the braking zones and turns.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:24 pm
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
God, Last time I was there was March of 1973. I was still working for Kawasaki's MX team and the motocross track was right next to the paved track near one of the corners. Pops Yoshimura had just arrived with a fresh "prepped" Kawi. Z1 (one of the first "open production" superbikes for Yvon DuHamel) for some track time testing. And,.....I got to ride it! This actually led to me getting one for a ride of my own via "factory support". Yvon wound up taking this very bike to Laguna Seca a week later and set an unbelievable track record! Sharkbait and fas are on the money from what my clouded/foggy mind remembers. Shit, a lots changed in 35 years ........HAVE FUN!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Look forward to some pics!!

Are you doing the track day on the GT?
Yup. Mirrors and rear turn signal stalks are off. Rear shock adjusted for the track. Bike is not happy in the trailer, but happy to be goin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Awesome!

BTW, sounds stupid, but these new video games with the digitized replicas of tracks around the country is a cool way to get to "know" a track before actually being there.

Surprisingly accurate. And after a hundred of so "virtual" laps, you really get a feel for the braking zones and turns.
:wtf Now, the day I'm driving up there, someone suggests this...:banghead

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:46 pm
JCW
contributor

Whoops

Well, maybe next track day
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2007, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Rained out!

Waited and waited. Standing water. Drizzle...
Finally got the go-ahead around noon, our group called, told to stand next to the bike and await instructions.
Jumped on the bike, started it up, and meandered toward the starting point. No mirrors, no idea if I'm alone or others are showing up. Don't matter, I'm goin'...
The rest show up.
Sighting lap. Very slow putting around the corners, following the lines of one of the instructors. Pull back into the pit, meet the instructor assigned to me and two others, and I'm first to go.

I'm ready...turn two is an interesting right hand turn at the top of the hill. This exercise is throttle control, so no brakes, no shifting once you are in 4th gear. Backend steps out a bit with a little throttle. :wtf
I slow it down. Sharp right at the cones. Cones are damned hard to see, as they're amber, and my face shield is amber, so they look white...just like the rain drizzle that's come back up. Wipe shield, see again. At the chicane, it's not apparent where the track goes, as I forgot the sighting lap path. Oops, through the cones. This isn't gonna be good...fully expect to see the black flag pointed at me.

Yup.

Loop around again, no error on turn two, but I can't see. So much for Rain-X, as I'm not going fast enough to push the rain off, even if I turn my head. Squeegie on the thumb seam helps a bit, but it smears, too. Plus, even though the anti-fog spray was used, it's not working well. Round another corner, remember the funny colors for cones, and go around the right portion of the track. But, I can't see squat to feel safe enough, I've been black-flagged (which means get off the track for immediate "discussion"), so I'm raising my hand and heading for the pits. Different face shield in mind, now. Only, the course is being red-flagged at the starting point. Appears that I'm not the only one that short-circuited the chicane. Everybody gets the lecture. Sends them off. Tells me I cut through the cones, but had black-flagged me before realizing half the track was doing it.
Went back to the car for the yellow shield to replace the amber one, but even as freshly treated as it was (rain-x outside, anti-fog inside), it wasn't clear either. :banghead
Found the instructor and asked if I had time to go back out. "Nope, they're all coming in, it's becoming unsafe again".

Damn...two laps, none of which were very pleasant.

Friend of mine, Pat, came in as well for the school tomorrow, and snapped some shots on my first go-'round. Will post them when they're out of her camera. She's the one getting a drink of water at the watering table in the attachments.
Car was dry when I first got to the track and unloaded it. High hopes dashed...but, there's tomorrow, and Keith Code, when announcing that they weren't going to continue with the classes due to the weather, offered another day in the future at any track they were scheduled at. Depending on how tomorrow goes, I'll head back to Sears Point (that track can kick your butt) or see if there's a third one that piques my interest (been to Laguna Seca).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	6735   Click image for larger version

Name:	WetCar.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	6736   Click image for larger version

Name:	WetTrack.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	6737   Click image for larger version

Name:	WetBike.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	6738  

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode