BMW Charger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict

BMW Charger

Is there a problem with my charger?

It started normally, turn on the bike, attach charger to can-bus socket, plug charger into wall, turn off bike.

Power ON light is on, and then I get a reading such as 2/3

After a few hours all status lights go out, the power light remains on.
When first plugged in, all lights come on during the self test, so I know they all work.

I did it twice just to make sure the problem remained and was not an isolated fault.

This does not seem right??

2006 K1200R/Full Remus Powercone/Left Intake/Booster Plug

Country Rode Motowerks SUCKS, click here to read why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 8:08 am
Addict-oholic

I hve the same charger. The first one did what yours did, and I traded it back to the dealer for a new one. Now. It works like you said. It goes to the 3/3 position after being attached to the bike overnight. At that point it is done. It never goes back to charging unless the bike is turned on and then off again, and then the cycle repeats and finishes sooner. This means that I really cannot leave my bike unattended while charging as this charger does not turn on again of its own accord, due to the canbus system shutting down eventually.

I now use the regular bmw gel charger that continually monitors the float charge. I have it hooked direct to teh battery. I do use the bmw special canbus charger occassionally as it may have a better desulphating technology.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

sent off to Deltran (The maker) today. $15.95 for repair/replacement and shipping back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Mine, when plugged in in the right sequence (Ignition ON, Charger into bike port, Charger into electric, Ignition OFF) works as advertized. When not following the right sequence it will not charge, or stop charging early...

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 7:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict

correct, the sequence was not the problem

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2007, 5:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Got my charger back from Deltran earlier this week. plugged it in, and it failed again after about 12 hours. When it arrived back, there was no documentation, and my $15 check was still attached to the sheet of paper I sent along describing the problem.
I called Deltran and spoke to the tech. After he tried to explain that the problem must be my battery, and me denying it a few times, he finally remembered my charger. It is not made my Deltran, they are NOT THE SOLE SOURCE for BMW Chargers. Mine actually came from Germany. Fortunately I was able to exchange it today, one month out of warranty. The Charger above only has a 1 year warranty (and costs $120) The Deltran one, is $59 from Deltran, and $69 from BMW, and Deltran will warranty it for 3 years. In the future, the Deltran one will be my choice.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzarinelli
Mine, when plugged in in the right sequence (Ignition ON, Charger into bike port, Charger into electric, Ignition OFF) works as advertized. When not following the right sequence it will not charge, or stop charging early...
I'm having the same issues that Coastie had with his charger. I tried the sequence that you recommended, (Ignition on, charger into port, charger plugged into extension cord, ignition off). When I first plug the charger into the power source, all of the lights come on and stay on for a second or so. Then all of the lights go out except the green power light. After 18 hours of charging, the only light that is on is the green power light. I've tried it multiple times, but end up with the same battery not charged at all result. Should any of the other lights be on when it is charging? Any help or suggestions are welcomed!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 2:25 am Thread Starter
Addict

the replacement BMW charger was most likely the cause of my failed battery. I now have a new battery, and a new 'battery tender' charger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode