Fitting Overpants for Those with a Wider Waistline - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Fitting Overpants for Those with a Wider Waistline

I have been riding with jeans, and want something safer to go over my jeans, with armor.

I was ready to buy a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 pants (to wear as overpants) from my local BMW dealer. Unfortunately, they don't fit. My waist is a little wider than standard. I'm 5' 10", 205 pounds.

The problem is that the kneepads fall below my knees, even if I pull the pants up higher than normal. The kneepads are set to the highest position. If I want pants with the kneepads over my knees, the waist is too skinny to fit.

The dealer wasn't much help. Obviously I should lose a few pounds, but I'm looking for pants with protection that fit me now. They must be easy to put on and take off over my jeans. The Olympia pants have full length zippers on the outers and the liners.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 5:50 am
Enthusiast

I don't know how much custom fitting Olympia will give you, so if you're open to another pant then try Aerostich. They will help get the pants right as far as fit and armor placement.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 6:11 am

It's not the same brand but First Gear has different lengths available for such a problem. They have Short, regular and Tall's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Rookie

Try this: http://www.motoport.com/index.asp?Me...1-800-777-6499 Poor site but great equipment, pants to fit with armor in the right places, use of Kevlar.

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have been riding with jeans, and want something safer to go over my jeans, with armor.

I was ready to buy a pair of Olympia Airglide 2 pants (to wear as overpants) from my local BMW dealer. Unfortunately, they don't fit. My waist is a little wider than standard. I'm 5' 10", 205 pounds.

The problem is that the kneepads fall below my knees, even if I pull the pants up higher than normal. The kneepads are set to the highest position. If I want pants with the kneepads over my knees, the waist is too skinny to fit.
Any suggestions?
I have the Airglides, an older pair of BMW's, and an old set of Firstgear. Had an Aerostich suit once...for a few days. Over priced over hyped big time. Too many troubles quality and fit wise from the get go.

Anyway the Airglides are wonderful. They are easily the quality of any of the others I have used and a lot less $$. With the liners and jeans underneath I can wear them down to any temp I'm ever going to ride in and be comfy. Call them and talk to them, maybe they can help. Maybe get a size bigger. I'm 6'1" 235 so not exactly skinny, and they fit great with or without jeans. The knee pads tend to run a bit low yes. But they are designed to. Remember, when you get on the bike they are going to ride up your knee and snug into place. At least mine do and I've always thought that they were meant to. I have spent many days in mine. Only after a full day in the saddle do I start to notice the pads. But by that time I'm noticing a lot of other aches and pains too!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 10:09 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I have the Airglides, an older pair of BMW's, and an old set of Firstgear. Had an Aerostich suit once...for a few days. Over priced over hyped big time. Too many troubles quality and fit wise from the get go.

Anyway the Airglides are wonderful. They are easily the quality of any of the others I have used and a lot less $$. With the liners and jeans underneath I can wear them down to any temp I'm ever going to ride in and be comfy. Call them and talk to them, maybe they can help. Maybe get a size bigger. I'm 6'1" 235 so not exactly skinny, and they fit great with or without jeans. The knee pads tend to run a bit low yes. But they are designed to. Remember, when you get on the bike they are going to ride up your knee and snug into place. At least mine do and I've always thought that they were meant to. I have spent many days in mine. Only after a full day in the saddle do I start to notice the pads. But by that time I'm noticing a lot of other aches and pains too!
I noticed that the pads rode up on my knees when I sat down, but does that help when you're thrown from the bike? Where are the pads supposed to be? Shouldn't they be against your knees while riding, but also when you go flying and land on the ground, too?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 8:36 am
Enthusiast

Decker pants from Tourmaster/Cortech. They are leather with armor. I paid $200 from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse online.
I am 5' 9" and weighed 210 at the time I bought them. Comfortable, easy to put on and good quality.

KR Sport
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I noticed that the pads rode up on my knees when I sat down, but does that help when you're thrown from the bike? Where are the pads supposed to be? Shouldn't they be against your knees while riding, but also when you go flying and land on the ground, too?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I guess the question is.... When you are flying through the air will your legs be bent as they are when you are seated or straight as they are when you are standing up?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:26 am

Try Belstaff E Z on waterproof codura pants. See them at britishmotorcyclegear.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Noob

Joe Rocket does short, "normal", and tall. The waist size needs to go up one if you are wearing them over jeans. Cheap but effective. Go Aero if you ride a lot and have the $.

95 k75rt
07 r1200gs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode