Self Tire Changing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 1:01 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Self Tire Changing

No, not a pointless what tire do you use thread. I get my tires mounted and balanced by a local guy who works out of his garage. I watched him a few times and it seems really easy. He uses a no mar tire changer and balancer. It takes him about 5 minutes a tire. He only uses race tires on all of his bikes, alot of take offs also. It would be nice not to have to waste my time and money and get badass tires and not have to worry about mileage so much.

My buddy gave me a cheapie tire changer, similar to the no mar, and i was going to give it a shot on the next tire/tires. Does anybody else mount and balance their own tires? Is it worth the trouble? Any tips or comments would help.

I watched a few videos on youtube of people who change tires out using tire spoons only. Using a maching would be much easier. The videos made it look pretty easy.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 7:54 am
Rookie

I did my first tire change about a month ago. I used 3 spoons and a homemade balancer consisting of a couple of axle stands and rollerblade bearings. It wasn't that bad at all. The toughest part for me was breaking the bead. I had to use my other bike's kickstand to do it. I currently looking for other options in terms of a bead breaker. I saw Harbor Freight had 1 for about $40. Also I ordered some dyna beads so I will try those in my next tire change instead of static balancing.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 9:01 am
Enthusiast

Chuck,

All I can say is it is real easy with the Nomar. Not sure about other ways, but now that I am building confidence I could see myself experimenting with other options, but why, the changer is set up.

If I were you I would go out on the Nomar site, http://www.nomartirechanger.com/ , and check out the videos. The process may be similar to the changer you have. Just be careful, its not worth it if you damage your rims.

I would most likely keep going to your buddies . The only thing better than a nomar is having a buddy with one.

Good luck,

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 9:14 am
JCW
contributor

On nomar's site they've got a KS sport wheel...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:26 am
Veteran

I also use a NOMar..(I used to use a Coats 220 which is primitive by comparison) IMHO.. if you care about your wheels.. the NoMar is the only one to buy...

The first few times you change a tire on ANY tire change machine is a learning experience no matter how many videos you watch in advance.. kinda like sex.. You're gonna make a lot of stupid mistakes and won't know what goes where and when.. you'll sweat a lot ...but with a little lubrication and persistence.. you'll get er' done and you'll end up with a big smile on your face..

Once you've done it a few times you'll feel like a pro. and yes.. it s worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
Does anybody else mount and balance their own tires? Is it worth the trouble? Any tips or comments would help.

Last edited by Razel; Dec 22nd, 2007 at 1:41 pm. Reason: Fixed tags
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
. kinda like sex.. You're gonna make a lot of stupid mistakes and won't know what goes where and when.. you'll sweat a lot ...but with a little lubrication and persistence.. you'll get er' done and you'll end up with a big smile on your face..
Gotta love the Pirate and his on target analogies! Happy Holidays Jerry!

David
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pirate
. kinda like sex..

I guess your right, I even watch the videos like they're X-rated .

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 9:08 pm

yes, do it yourself if you ride the bike enough.
i have been looking to purchase a tire changing machine like No Mar.
for now its been grunt and spit.
i use my forks on my loader to break the bead but spoons for on/off.
use some type of protector for the rims though.
thats why i want a No Mar. getting the tire off is easy.
putting the tire on is the hard part.

'99 R1100GS - sold
'06 K1200R
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Graphite, EVO filters, EVO clutch slave, LeoVince exhaust, AC Schnitzer screen,
Power-Sportego handlebar conversion, Braking Wave Rotors
Rizoma (rearsets, blinkers, mirrors, fluid pots, oil cooler cover)
Motolights

CITGO BAD

Be thankful for your freedom.
We may not have it much longer.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2007, 10:20 pm
Enthusiast

changing your own tires

Chuck
If you have a lot of bikes or ride a lot of miles and you are going thru multiple sets of tires it is a no brainer not to do it yourself. Harbor Freight makes a tire changer with 2 basic pieces for about $80-$90. The most important tool for removing and mounting the tires is the bar. Nomar makes a very good bar and sells it for $99. You can also buy a similar one from Joe_Fricken_Friday on the www.bmwrt.com site for about $80 and it is very good as well. It is called a Mojolever. If you are going thru one set a year I would continue to pay your friend who works out of his garage unless you just want to do it yourself. I take my rims and new tires to Mach I in Costa Mesa, Ca. and they mount and balance each tire with the wheel off the bike for $15 each. Good luck with your decision.
KB
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:00 am
Enthusiast

Even if you only go through a couple of sets of tires a year it is worth it. An NoMar is the way to go. Not only is the machine excellent but the customer service is the best, these people will go above and beyound what is expected. The machine will pay for itself not only in cost savings of actual tire mounting, but how about the cost of your time bringing either bike or wheels to someone to do the work. Also I have this thing about doing my own work, and when it comes to wheels coming off of my bike I trust myself more than anyone else to put them back on correctly. For me just to be able to go out in the garage and change a couple of tires and balance them when I want is key.
Good luck and if you do buy your own equipment you will not regret it.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode