Book Recommendations, Anyone? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Book Recommendations, Anyone?

I love to ride. I also enjoy reading and learning. I'm looking for good, current books to improve my street riding skills. Recommendations for other BMW or general motorcycle related books are also encouraged. Here is some of my recent reading with my own subjective ratings (1-5 scale, 1=worst, 5=best):

BMW Motorcycles: The Evolution of Excellence, Kevin Ash: 2

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, David L. Hough: 5

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride, David L. Hough: 5

Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists, David L. Hough: 2.5

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, Lee Parks: 3.5

-------

Has anyone read "Top Dead Center", by Kevin Cameron and Cook Neilson ??

Do you have other favorite books to suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 9:39 am
Addict

I bought the Kieth Code video and books some time ago, read them a few times, then passed them on to another rider.

I thought it was pretty good overall.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:18 pm
Addict

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track by Nick Ienatsch is a great book that I've read a few times. Nick is also the writer of the famous PACE artical that is widely published on motorcycle forums. I just started reading Total Control by Lee Parks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Veteran

I think Keith Code's.. "A Twist of the Wrist" is the best book ever written on understanding how to get though curves better, safer, faster...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:21 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track by Nick Ienatsch is a great book that I've read a few times. Nick is also the writer of the famous PACE artical that is widely published on motorcycle forums. I just started reading Total Control by Lee Parks.
+1 on Nick Ienatsch's book. I've also read Hough, Parks, and Pridmore, and find Ienatsch's book the best, followed by Hough, Parks, and Pridmore, in that order.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:56 pm
Veteran

Don't know if you're a music fan but even if not Neil Pearts' book (Drummer from Rush) Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour by Motorcycle is great.

He rides a GS and writes quite well. At Amazon: here

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2008, 6:51 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Last night I ordered "Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track", and also "Top Dead Center".

I'll share my "points" scores when I finish them. I plan to come back to this thread when I'm ready for more. Maybe future books will appear in this thread after they are published and someone here reads them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 9:47 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Last night I finished reading "Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track" by Nick Ienatsch. This is another great book for riders of all skill levels. I highly recommend it for riding skills development and improvement.

For beginners, I would suggest reading Proficient Motorcycling first. After that, this is a terrific text as a next step. Nick Ienatsch has a great writing style that conveys complex concepts in simple, easy to understand ways. This is a very good book. I just wish I could learn to spell the author's name.

On my points scale, (1 = worst, 5 = best), Sport Riding Techniques gets a solid 5.

I realize that three of the six books that I have rated so far got a five, but that is how things worked out.

I am still reading Top Dead Center (it won't get a 5). I will start on the second edition of Proficient Motorcycling soon.

If you are planning to buy the second edition of Proficient Motorcycling because you want a copy of the Bonus CD, see the comments that I posted this morning (10 May 2008) in this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13870
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 12:31 pm
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Don't know if you're a music fan but even if not Neil Pearts' book (Drummer from Rush) Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour by Motorcycle is great.

He rides a GS and writes quite well. At Amazon: here
Greatest drummer ever!!!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:59 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I just finished reading three motorcycle books over the last few weeks.

BIG DISCLAIMER:

Please keep in mind that these ratings are my own, and nobody else's. They are heavily biased, because I have specific interests, which may not match your own. My interests are motorcycle riding skills, safety, technique, street survival, and the joy of riding. Please note that I am not nearly as interested in racing, track days, or raw speed per se, which puts a strong bias on my ratings. Obviously, some racing technique books have much that is useful to street riders, too.

At least you will know which books I have read - if you have further questions, PM me about a specific book.

My scale - 1 to 5, where 5 is best:

The Complete Motorcycle Book, A Consumer's Guide, 2nd Edition - 1.5 points
Author: Jim Bennett
Comments: This book is very dated. It is intended for an absolute beginner with little or no riding experience. For them, the text on general principles are good, but any text that mentions specific models (and there is a lot) is hopelessly out of date.

A Twist of the Wrist, The Motorcycle Road Racers Handbook - 2 points
Author: Keith Code
1983-2000
Comments: This is a very popular and well-regarded book for those who want to learn about road racing on their motorcycles. I like the writing style, but the content doesn't match my interests, hence the lower score.

Top Dead Center, The Best of Kevin Cameron from Cycle World Magazine - 3 points
Author: Kevin Cameron
Comments: A collection of biographical articles about the people involved in the evolution of motorcycle racing over the last several decades. Quality varied a lot; some articles were quite engrossing, others not. Kevin is a good writer, and I've enjoyed his recent Cycle World articles, which induced me to read the book.

Next up:
- Lois on the Loose
- Stayin' Safe, The Art and Science of Riding Really Well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode