cold weather helmets - i'm fogging badly! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

cold weather helmets - i'm fogging badly!

Anyone use a heated shield? I'm fogging badly at night now - about -3F last night and the fog city insert is overwhelmed at that temp. Looks like Nolan has some decent snowmobile helmet options with heated shields - anyone used these, or know of any other good brands?

I'm in the gerbing stuff from head to toe and the fogging shield is really the only problem - I'd like to be able to not worry about it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 1:40 pm
Rookie

I have a Ski-Doo snowmobile helmet which has a mask that goes over the nose and mouth (like a fighter pilot) and vents your breath to the outside. It's warm and it never fogs. They also have heated shield options - I don't have one but one of my riding buddies does and he seems to like it. Try skidoo.com or visit a local dealer (probably better to visit a dealer to try stuff on).
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Veteran

+1 on the ski doo helmet. my buddy has one and he swears that it rules. he rides all year around and loves it. it is DOT. i think we've discussed this before in another thread. i have problems with my glasses.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 9:30 pm
Enthusiast

I've got a Schuberth C2 that does pretty well in colder weather, primarily for 2 reasons:

- Visor has a really good anti-fog film on the inside
- There's a cuff(?) around the neck that does a great job of keeping air out of the helmet.

I wear glasses and have had little trouble with any fogging down to freezing.

I remember the Ski Doo helmets from my youth in the north country - they do work well.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:48 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemoss
I'm fogging badly at night now - about -3F last night and the fog city insert is overwhelmed at that temp.
I just have to ask....MINUS 3 FAHRENHEIT ?? :wtf Wow!!

I don't know weather to bow down in awe or tell you you're nuts for riding in such temps so here's one of each.

More power to you dude and may you find a solution!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

yeah i get a lot of props for cold weather riding - I'm starting to hear people asking "aren't you cold" in my sleep....

I just ordered an HJC snowmobile helmet model CL-SP - also got the heated shield kit for it. Dennis Kirk had it on closeout - good price - also it's DOT, and Snell 2005!

Glasses fogging should be the last problem to deal with - I'm hoping the heated element on the shield will help the glasses situation - I'm at the point with these cold temps I might just get one of those glove heat packs for skiing and just put it in the helmet. My neck protection makes the interior of the helmet windproof, but it doesn't vent either - hence the fogging specs.

Also I just got the Whistler Cruisader radar system with wireless helmet LED receiver - so I'll let you know how all this shit is working out soon...

Pete Moss
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:10 am
Veteran

What do you ride? Any wind protection at all? I've ridden a couple of times down into the teens but on an RT or GT or cruiser with lots of plastic and heated everything and so much stuff on I felt like the Michelin man and looked like this guy.....

Even when it was dry enough to ride, anything under 25 or so just got to be too much of a pain in the ass just getting dressed. Still freakin cold too!

Some one ought to give you a trophy! ...... Or maybe a lobotomy!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:22 am Thread Starter

08 K1200S - full gerbing suit - makes the cold easy...it's really just a fogging/icing thing now.

Come on with the lobotomy stuff - it's not that crazy. I rode year round in Colorado for 2 years on my 92 K1 - that was probably colder at night at altitude, plus I only ran a vest then. Gerbing stuff is awesome.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2008, 1:04 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemoss
Also I just got the Whistler Cruisader radar system with wireless helmet LED receiver - so I'll let you know how all this shit is working out soon...

Pete Moss
i have the cruisader radar system. i had it installed, but i had it mounted and it started swinging around. i sent it in and they fixed it for free. I did have a problem with the laser detector. It kept reading a false positive on the Laser when the RPM's would go up. I used the capacitor recommended by the manufacturer, but it still didn't work. I was thinking that the aftermarket fuseblock might help with the surge of volts causing the false reading. i really don't know that much about electrical anything...or just anything period.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:09 am Thread Starter

What was spinning around? The unit in the steel bracket? I plan to mount it in the panel on the left side of the front fairing.

How did you wire it - direct to the battery or to some other hot wire?

Still having problems?

Maybe if it's direct to the battery, it's a problem. at higher rpms the voltage across the terminals can reach as high as 14.4 V with a healthy battery and alternator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k123.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	6894  

Last edited by petemoss; Jan 5th, 2008 at 9:36 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode