bringing US spec bike to EU, dealer says he can provide EU bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

bringing US spec bike to EU, dealer says he can provide EU bike?

Hi,

I am trying to basically do a reverse European delivery. I am in the US only for 6-12 months but want a K bike for that time and I want to bring it to France after that, permanently. The dealer I am talking to says that the EU/US bikes are the same and that he can provide a "letter of compliance" for France so that I can register the bike there.

From what I understand the bike would need it's HP reduced to 100 hp and the lenses and windscreen changed, among other things. I am concerned that if he is wrong, after I ship it over, I have a very expensive lawn ornament.

Is the dealer right? Or does he just want my cash...

Thanks for any info and great board! I hope I can add more in the future!

PR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzorosso
Hi,

I am trying to basically do a reverse European delivery. I am in the US only for 6-12 months but want a K bike for that time and I want to bring it to France after that, permanently. The dealer I am talking to says that the EU/US bikes are the same and that he can provide a "letter of compliance" for France so that I can register the bike there.

From what I understand the bike would need it's HP reduced to 100 hp and the lenses and windscreen changed, among other things. I am concerned that if he is wrong, after I ship it over, I have a very expensive lawn ornament.

Is the dealer right? Or does he just want my cash...

Thanks for any info and great board! I hope I can add more in the future!

PR

Not sure if this would work for you, or if it's even logistically possible for you, but I think your best bet is to buy the bike from a dealership in France, or Canada (Canadian bikes, from what I've read, are the same as the Euro bikes). Though getting from France would be the best way, of course you would have to pay to have it shipped to the US, then back to Europe. If you buy the bike in the US then you are stuck with a speedo that's in MPH. Not a big deal for most, but it is something to consider. Yes, the bike will cost more in France, but is it worth the hassle to get it from the US and risk not being able to ride it in France as it MAY or may not meet requirements?

You could also just get a different (used) bike for while you are in the US, then sell it when you are getting ready to leave. Again, that may not work for you, just a thought.

As for getting a EU spec bike, ummmm that doesn't sound right. When I was looking to order a K12S from the US as the price discrepancy between Canadian and US pricing was a lot at that time [early 2007] (no longer the case ). I had asked a BMW dealership that was close the Canadian border, can't remember which one, and had asked for a Canadian spec bike to be shipped to the US, that I could then import into Canada on my own. The dealership had no problem preparing the paperwork for this, and the dealership advised me they sold a few bikes to Canadians, BUT.....BUT any bike imported to the U.S. MUST BE BUILT FOR USE IN THE U.S. According to this dealership, getting a bikes spec'd for any other country other then the U.S. is NOT POSSIBLE. Now, this dealership could have been feeding me a line, or maybe its true.

Last edited by BeemerD; Jan 13th, 2008 at 6:00 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:18 am
Addict

I think he's right about the power detuning. If you live in France I'd question whether a detuned heavy K-bike is the right wheels to have. A smaller cc lighter bike would have more go. So I'd have a look at what power to weight options there are at their power limit.

I don't know how tight they are on inspections after the formalities have been done. From what I read, detuned French models have a narrowing in the airbox and the ECU spec is different.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:52 am

I moved last year from the US to Switzerland (…did somebody say “twisties in the alps”…? ) and shipped my US K12R over. Happy to share my experience, but this is only valid for Switzerland as I am certain that French regulations are different:

First of all, have you looked into cost of shipping? I only took the bike with me because my company paid for shipping (I had calculated that the shipping costs alone kill the price advantage you get from buying in the US).

Then, the most important factor in Switzerland is how long you own the bike before you bring it into the country (France might have something similar):

1. You own the bike LESS than 6 months. In this case: FORGET IT!!! They will consider your bike an “import” and you pay every damn tax, fee & commission they have ever invented. Plus you need a confirmation that your bike is 100% identical with the same model you can get in Switzerland. This means more money out the door as they will make you replace every nut, bolt & screw that is considered “not identical”. Plus only BMW Switzerland can give this confirmation and guess what: you are not their best friend (because you didn’t buy the bike through them) so this confirmation will be a very expensive piece of paper. All in all: too much hassle, too expensive - not worth it.

2. You own the bike MORE than 6 months. In this case: WINNER – GO FOR IT!!!!! Then the bike is considered part of your "household goods" and you are pretty much good to go (after all, you don’t pay import taxes on the furniture and clothes you bring with you…). I had to do ZERO adjustments on my bike, total cost to get it through Swiss DMV was less than 300 USD. Generally, key points are that (1) the speedometer shows KMH and not MPH, (2) all lights meet Swiss standards, and (3) the bike meets Swiss emission standards. The KR was fine with all of that without any replacements or adjustments. No detuning either (hell, who wants a KR with 100hp? :wtf )

Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Yes, it seems that I would have to buy a US spec bike and then have the dealer transform it into a Eu spec bike. This seems to be too much of a pain. I think I will just buy it in France, ship it over and ship it back with all my stuff.

I think I can ride on French plates for up to one year in the US, but I have to check.

As for a lighter bike I am looking at the F800 now or a ducati ST3. We'll see!

Thanks for all your help.

PR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode