Battery Life Expectancy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:32 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Battery Life Expectancy

I was wondering if anybody knew what sort of life I can expect out of my battery on my 06 K1200R? I do use a battery tender all the time the bike is not ridden. Is there a certain number of years after which I should just replace the battery to save myself from it being an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 2:36 pm
Enthusiast

Lots of different answers on this question, but if you keep the battery on a tender then you should easily get 3-4 years out of it. On my previous bike ( a Suzuki) I kept the original battery on a tender most of the time and replaced it after 11 years. No, I'm not kidding.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:45 pm
Addict-oholic

I usually change my battery after 3 years, even though I use a battery tender most of the time, especailly during the winter due to less riding.
In the past, I have had sveral problems with ABS lights flashing when the battery isn't up to par, and who needs a problem while on the road? Better safe than sorry, and the price isn't exorbitant to swap out every 3 years or so. Yes, I did get 8 years on my last Jap bike, but there were no farkles on the bike and I was very cheap in those days...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 6:13 pm
TXS
Rookie

I use a Battery Doc on mine. It has gone through 2 Alaskan winters and still runs.

Really the best option is to take the battery out of the bike and keep it indoors and warm. Also keep i ton the charger of course. The cold weather can mess with batteries.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the replies. I think I will just change it out every 3-4 years to error on the safe side.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
Thank you so much for the replies. I think I will just change it out every 3-4 years to error on the safe side.
Not that you would, but don't get a cheap battery. I did just that because I didn't want to wait for a quality battery to be ordered. After less than 1 season it won't hold a charge for more than 2 days.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Veteran

life

Coming up to 5 years on my gel battery, they are not like the old ones. It is still showing full charge. I have had 11 years out of a car battery.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Veteran

My '06 GT began to hard-crank a month ago. Replaced it with an Odyssey PC680MJ and it cranks right over now. My old RT was still running at 4 years with the old Odyssey when I sold it.

I always used a Battery Tender on the BMW stock battery. I believe the heat did it in over the summer where it hits nearly 115 degrees. Car batteries only last about 2 years for me as well - no matter how long the warranty is for.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:42 pm
fas

Battery question

My 2002 LT ate three batteries in four years. BMW trickle charger in play. GT now has 1.5 years and only one battery so far.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode