tyre fit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

tyre fit

Changed the rear tyre yesterday, fitted another Road Attack. I fitted one side of the tyre, then balanced it, near enough I thought. Then I fitted the other side, inflated the thing and put it back on the balancer. Abolutely perfect, no bias at all, no weights needed. There had been a huge difference as I moved the loose tyre around the rim at first though. No red dot on Road Attacks, wonder why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 3:24 pm
Veteran

Well I have no idea what you mean by... "I fitted one side of the tyre, then balanced it..".. Do you mean you just had the tire hanging on the wheel.. loose? and you kinda balanced it that way by moving the tire around until it seemed close? I've never in my long life heard of someone balancing a tire before it's mounted and air'd up... Interesting..

I have been getting tires recently without the red dots... A few Pirelli tires... Corsa III's, I think...I hate it when they do that!

Perhaps with these advanced manufacturing processes... it isn't needed.. or perhaps they spot check a few tires on the assembly line and the ones that are perfect they let go without the red dot..or perhaps somebody just f#@*ed up on your tire and forgot to fill their paint gun that day..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 4:33 pm
Veteran

Some tires dont have the "DOT"....and its been known on some special apllication tires that you line up the ser# with the stem.....But its better to find the heavy spot on the rim.....heavest at stem?......sometimes....sometimes not....then mnt the tire on.....rotate the tire on the rim to find the lite spot...bada bing....inflate.....then do your normal balance.....But like pirate said...advanced mfg...is likely.....but seems like if you had a tire with eaven number of tread grooves and the wheel had an odd number of spokes.....than it would seem that would throw the whole mind blowing tire thing out of whack....?.... :think:

Last edited by BAK04GT; Feb 11th, 2008 at 4:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:43 pm

The ol' static balance ploy, eh?

Jerry

I had been changing tires that way for years on my dirt bikes and some of my earlier road bikes. Before you pry the second side on, you can still rotate the tire on the rim pretty easily to get the balance as close as you can before you add weights, if any. I had a VW Beetle once, and the mechanic that put the tires on couldn't fit my rims on the machine, so he ended up doing them on the static balance just like that.

I haven't changed my own tires for my last three bikes. I've let the tire professionals do it with their high-speed balances. It's pretty important to have it right when your going 250kmh!

Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:50 pm
Veteran

Hmmm..I'm no expert.. but I have mounted and balanced dozens of tires..., a question regarding your post...

"and its been known on some special aplication tires that you line up the ser# with the stem....."

where on earth did you hear this?? Inquiring minds want to know.. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Some tires dont have the "DOT"....and its been known on some special apllication tires that you line up the ser# with the stem.....But its better to find the heavy spot on the rim.....heavest at stem?......sometimes....sometimes not....then mnt the tire on.....rotate the tire on the rim to find the lite spot...bada bing....inflate.....then do your normal balance.....But like pirate said...advanced mfg...is likely.....but seems like if you had a tire with eaven number of tread grooves and the wheel had an odd number of spokes.....than it would seem that would throw the whole mind blowing tire thing out of whack....?.... :think:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Veteran

DaveNZ...I still don't understand, although I've never claimed to the the brightest crayon in the box...

but.. are you saying you pry on one side of the tire over the wheel and then slap this on a balancer? with no air.. ? just one side all woppy on the rim?

Yes I used to let pros do mine on the same high speed machines, but now that I own multiple bikes and generally change at least 4-6 tires a month in the summer when I'm doing track days.. that can run into serious doubloons when the local shop charges $70 ea and then always puts at least a scratch or two on my powder coated rims... No more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ
Before you pry the second side on, you can still rotate the tire on the rim pretty easily to get the balance as close as you can before you add weights, if any.
I haven't changed my own tires for my last three bikes. I've let the tire professionals do it with their high-speed balances. It's pretty important to have it right when your going 250kmh!

Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

tyre fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Changed the rear tyre yesterday, fitted another Road Attack. I fitted one side of the tyre, then balanced it, near enough I thought. Then I fitted the other side, .

You got it right first time. The tyre was just hanging half on and half off. Move the tyre around as it is on the static balancer. I always do this cos I cannot afford weights, but this is the first time I got it 100%. And if you dont like static balancers....Well if they are good enough at the Grand Prix, they are good enough for me, gravity does not lie. I can do a better job than the big shops with the machines. Reason I bought it is because I am fussy about such things. Like packing yer own parachute.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:07 pm
Addict

wish I saw this thread 2 weeks ago!

2006 K1200R/Full Remus Powercone/Left Intake/Booster Plug

Country Rode Motowerks SUCKS, click here to read why
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Hmmm..I'm no expert.. but I have mounted and balanced dozens of tires..., a question regarding your post...

"and its been known on some special aplication tires that you line up the ser# with the stem....."

where on earth did you hear this?? Inquiring minds want to know.. ;-)
..aircraft tires....are like that and some others.....why?...I dont really know....if its due to balance or to easly find the ser number when looking at the wheel assy.....not sure...but for those tires when there is no dot....thats what you do.....Ill have to dig and find out....but wouldnt think a bike tire is all that special.....maybe just a step in the process that was droped to save money....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Jerry I think you might be picturing the tire and rim as still being oriented vertically, like on a dynamic tire balancer. With a static tire balance, the rim sits across the gizmo horizontally, like a spinning plate on a stick (but not spinning, and not a plate, and the stick is a metal rod with a point on it).

Anyway, once on the balancer, it just sits there, and you can rotate the tire on the rim to find the best reading on the bubble (if it has one). Or I used to use a tape measure to the floor and just play with it until the measurements were equal all around.

Kinda hard to explain if you haven't seen one, and I've only found a photo of one with no tire on it, but you'll figure it out.

Fancy one from Harbor Freight

and a cheap one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode