New Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New Helmet

Im getting my girlfriend a helmet , I was thinking of getting her a flip up(modular) helmet because I noticed her letting me know about the helmet messing up her hair, even tho she hasnt really complained, it caught my attention.

Its obviously going to mess up her hair either way, shes cool with it but I thought the flip up helmet might help JUST A TINY BIT?

I was at the shop the other day and they stopped carrying flip up helmets. They said the reason was that its not as useful and the regular way is better. Are they just saying that or is it true?

My main question is, modular helmets overrated? Would you prefer regular or modular?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Flip-up helmets

It's really a matter of preference. I've had a few flip-up helmets now over the years and prefer them because:
- they're more convenient when you're talking to someone else off the bike (you can hear and be heard better)
- they provide better visibility when off the bike and flipped open (think putting gas in the tank).
- you can take a quick drink at a rest stop w/o removing the helmet.

The downside to flip-up helmets is they be noisier than regualr helmets due to their design (not being one complete piece). I returned a modular helmet a few years ago (and went with a different brand) because it had a terrible whistle due to it's design which caused a major headache.

All that said - the best way to go about this is to bring your girlfriend to you local shop and have her try on a few. If you have a good relationship with the shop they may even let you take the helmet out on a short ride so she can really judge for yourself. In the end, that's the only way to know for sure.

Best of luck!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 4:38 pm
Addict-oholic

I have been using a flip visor helmet for years. I wear glasses, and it is much easier to put the helmet on. I have been using the Nolan, BMW system 4 and Schuberth. The only downside is, they are a bit noisier than a full face helmet. I have also found the visibility to be better with the flip up.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 4:42 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18yrold-k12-rydr
I was at the shop the other day and they stopped carrying flip up helmets. They said the reason was that its not as useful and the regular way is better. Are they just saying that or is it true?

My main question is, modular helmets overrated? Would you prefer regular or modular?

I use exclusively flip-ups, primarily because I wear glasses.

Are they noisier? Maybe a little - nothing a good set of earplugs (which should be worn anyway) won't solve.

Current one is the Shoei Multitec which I recommend highly.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Veteran

Also safety is a factor....without removing the lid you can do mouth to mouth without having to take the helmet off and risking more injury....just hope he is good looking
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:09 am

Smile Nolan

I just replaced my aging fullface with a Nolan flip. Got it on sale !

I was suprised, that compared to my older ARAI, the Nolan was quieter and seals around visor were tighter. The sunshield overlay is also a bonus.

However, I did find that riding late afternoon, into sun, the overlay was not enough and I also needed my sunglasses.

One thing nice about the overlay, if I went into shaded areas and had trouble seeing thru overlay into shadows, I just merely tilted my head backwards slightly, and I could look below the bottom of the overlay without a problem. If you are not using the ovelay, it must be flipped up and since it is on the outside of the visor, under some circumstances wind/air pressure/motion will cause it to flex. I could hear it moving from time to time, depending on direction of air flow.

Overall, the Nolan is nice. A couple of times I did catch myself forgetting to lower the flip before I would pull out into the road ? !

Jim Lawson
00 K1200LTC
Ezy-Mount Products
Auxiliary Light Mounting Solutions
www.ezymount.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:21 am
Enthusiast

For them to say the standard help is better and more useful is an ignorant statement. Whether a flip-up or standard helmet is better is completely up to the user. Everyone has made valid points so far. I got a Shoei X-11 because it ultimately was the better fit. I wanted the Shoei Multitec but the shape was too round for my oval shaped head. Have your girl try on several and buy the one that fits best. A baseball cap a brush will take care of her hair.

'03 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode