Oh Crap, Kodiak Alaska - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:19 am Thread Starter
Addict

Oh Crap, Kodiak Alaska

Just found out I am headed to Kodiak AK for 2 years.
Anyone ever lived/rode there?
Does not look much like a nice place to ride. Not very big, and google maps does not even show roads all around the island. Might be time for a KLR

2006 K1200R/Full Remus Powercone/Left Intake/Booster Plug

Country Rode Motowerks SUCKS, click here to read why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:45 am
Veteran

One good thing about Kodiak is that you can't get much farther from Country Rode Motowerks and still be in the U.S.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:00 am
JCW
contributor

WOW.

What's your plans up there, Coastie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
One good thing about Kodiak is that you can't get much farther from Country Rode Motowerks and still be in the U.S.
true lol

Plans... Stay warm, and ship off to Hawaii when ever I can lol

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:33 am
Noob

Can't comment on the roads, but Kodiak has/is near to some of the greatest fishing in the world. Watch out for the bears.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:59 pm
JCW
contributor

Good luck, Coastie.

What did you think about that movie with Kutcher and Kostner?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Sell the K12R and get yourself an R12GS. Make sure you have a good GPS too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
What did you think about that movie with Kutcher and Kostner?
It was a good 'movie' part realistic, part melodrama. I went to see it with my crew, and like Kostner in the movie, I am a Senior Chief, so for the next week or so, everything was AYE AYE SENIOR CHIEF

I have been waiting for orders to buy a GPS, and it looks like Kodiak is not well mapped, or at least there are not many roads there :wtf
I was hoping to at least be able to circumnavigate the island, but I see no roads that go around the island, or even between the cities.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kodiak...=11&iwloc=addr

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:03 pm
TXS
Rookie

Pulled into AIRSTA Kodiak quite a few times off the Mustang. Beautiful place. Best of all, it has a Wal-Mart (yeah, big city living). The K1200R will be a blast until you get bored of the one long road. Sure there are smaller city streets, but there is really only one long road between AIRSTA and town. A GS would be a much better bet for touring around the island due to the fact that paving is non-existent on many roads. The one long HWY loses its pavement not too far around Womens Bay. Snowmachining is also a big recreation up there. People are nice. They like the Guard.

Have fun with the move Senior Chief. I do also suggest driving up(as far as possible). Beautiful drive.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:24 pm

Garage
Coastie, I moved to VA from AIRSTA Kodiak... I loved it!

There are not many roads, and you will likely not find a need for an R, but a GS (especially one of the smaller ones) would be great. I was fishing a great deal and also enjoyed photography, normally the fishing side of it.

The Island is remote, the first two things you need are:
1. An Alaskan Airlines Credit card... this is common and they give frequent flier miles for every dollar you spend. We paid everything on this and then paid the card every month. We still do this and have had a couple First Class trips that have been free.

2. Become a member of USAA (if not already, as a SCPO you likely already are) and get a Fedex account through them... you will get 40% off shipping and it will also make your shipping from the "states" easier... when you get a company that doesn't want to send to you, you give them your fedex number and you pay next to nothing for shipping (compared to what many of them want to charge). Or... sometimes companies won't ship to AK, ship it to your lower 48 family and have them slap a label on it that will automatically be charged to you. Some companies will also not ship to AK but they actually will overlook the policy if they know they are not responsible once it leaves their hands.

There are a lot of things you will learn to like about being there. Now also, remember how short two years is. I loved Kodiak and as a result, will be moving to AK upon retirement in the next couple years. I was not happy about the orders and simply decided to make the most of it but my wife and I were in love with the place within a month.

Good luck, let me know any specific questions you have. I also have pictures of much of my experience at http://www.chilei.net.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode