K1200GT, RT, LT... Choices - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

K1200GT, RT, LT... Choices

This is my first post gents..
Well its time for me to bikeup for the summer woo hooo
My last was a R1200 GS that I really loved and wish I still had, it was totaled by a minivan driven by a cellphone weilding big black lady!
Now I am trying to figure out the differences between the K bikes.
I live in Austin with a 30 mile commute on the tollways but also love to hang with the sportier bikes on the weekends around Lake Travis

The LT is obviously the biggest and most goldwing-like which is probably too cumbersome for me.
At first glance the GT would seem to be the bike for me but I just read a long post where a guy traded in his GT for an RT cuz the GT was heavier and more difficult to handle in the city.
So now I am confused.
Is there a website or article where these K bikes are clearly compared and contrasted?
Thanks
Any advice is welcome.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Addict

I've been on the KGT, the RT and the K1200R and R sport. I'm big, 6'4 and 250 lbs so a heavy bike isn't a big deal for me. HOwever, I fell in love with the power and well, the POWER and feel of the K1200R Sport. There are days when I miss the full fairing but few.

If power is an issue and you love to feel that adrenalin rush when your right wrist moves down, then you will need the K variant. The RT is sporty, no doubt and full of torque, but nothing matches that feel of speed on the smooth K engine.

You have the difficult task of choosing from excellent options. Keep us posted as to how and what you decide.

Best,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 6:14 pm
Rookie

The differences and my thoughts

I am currently on a 2007 GT and like the bike very much. Prior to the GT, I was on a 2005 R1200RT. My thoughts on the "deal" is this: If you want a luxury touring bike and CD player, don't mind the 830-850 pounds, get an LT. The LT is the equivelent to a BMW 745i luxury sedan. If you want a touring bike that handles like a sports car, not concerned about listening to music get the RT. It has plenty of power, the best in wind protection from the weather, uses the same luggage as the GT. If you want a true super sport touring bike then go with the GT. Less wind and weather protection although more than adequate in that department. Handling compared to the RT is not a big issue unless you happen to be someone that can ride either bike hard enough to tell the difference. RT and GT have all the same bells and whistles. THe thing that sets theGT apart is the power factor, if you haven't ridden a late model K bike, try to get a test ride on a K1200S,R or GT. The acceleration will blow you away. Other than that, money factor: K1200LT-$20000+,K1200GT $20000+, R1200RT $18000+ Try looking at the web site motorcycle USA, they have loads of test reports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 3:51 am
Rookie

I traded my 07' K1200LT after putting 12,000. miles on it from 4-07 to 10-07. Great machine for the long road. I too mix it up with some sport bikes on weekends and all the LT does is scrape the hydraulic center stand on strong leans....went to a 07' GT and all is good, 3000 miles on her and not the room for luggage, but the rest is worth it. Good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2008, 8:28 pm

I own an RS (equivalent to a GT) and have never had an issue in tight quarters. What year are you considering. There are two later versions of the K engine...the flying brick and the formula one derived engine. They are very different animals. I have a 2006 R, a 2005 LT and a 2003 RS.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2008, 4:19 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRick
This is my first post gents..
Well its time for me to bikeup for the summer woo hooo
My last was a R1200 GS that I really loved and wish I still had, it was totaled by a minivan driven by a cellphone weilding big black lady!
Now I am trying to figure out the differences between the K bikes.
I live in Austin with a 30 mile commute on the tollways but also love to hang with the sportier bikes on the weekends around Lake Travis

The LT is obviously the biggest and most goldwing-like which is probably too cumbersome for me.
At first glance the GT would seem to be the bike for me but I just read a long post where a guy traded in his GT for an RT cuz the GT was heavier and more difficult to handle in the city.
So now I am confused.
Is there a website or article where these K bikes are clearly compared and contrasted?
Thanks
Any advice is welcome.
Rick
Welcome Rick.

Burning up the miles on the GT is such fun. I love it. I commute on it and love the manners in the city. I ride 2-up a lot and I love the GT power. It helps you get to safety playing either offense or defense with superb power on hand. Being loaded (large top case) with SO and all the gear the GT just flat hauls ass. The GT suspension is amazing. ESA allows me to set it for comfort with SO. Then when she is off the bike and I am commuting I set for sport. I take a computer bag and a gym bag for the health club with me on the GT. My brother in law has the 2-lung version of BMW which has served him well for over 8 years. He loves my GT. He said to adjust his suspension he needs a wrench. Consequently he does not adjust it as often as he should.

Good luck with your search. Go ride several brands and models.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I've tooled around a few miles on a new RT. I'd go RT. Feels like a great handler. Best long distancer out their in my book.
I haven't been on a GT. 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode