Video camera - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 10:15 am Thread Starter
JIS

Question Video camera

A general question. Have any of you any experience in using and mounting a video camera to your bike? I am quite keen on the idea so that we can capture some of our trips.

Are there any particular features that are “must have” when used for this type of application e.g. “anti-shake”?

Thanks

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 11:30 am
Addict

Have a look here in the photo section. I posted a similar question. Helmet mounting seems to give a realistic viewpoint. Some mount a camera on their GPS pod, others have fitted the camera low down for a better speed 'effect'. I recently bought a HD Handycam which I used first time on a holiday, so I'm going to see how it works from the bike. I'll probably try it out first with a pillion. The pillion just needs to know how to push the record button and use the direct viewfinder. There are some settings to get the best from fast motion events and having lots of light is vital. My Sony doesn't have a record button on the IR remote playback which is a shame, although I'm sure it would be in the code list somewhere. Handycams will give you about 1-1.5 hours continuous recording time on their internal battery.

Image stab. is probably important and if the frame is kept wide, some more stab. can be done in editing. I don't know how much vid. editing you've done, but it's a whole new ball game of learning. Don't expect to post clips on the internet and get good quality (unless the pics are 4X4 on the screen). I shall burn my first movies to dVd or Blu-Ray. Movie files of any decent quality are very big files, so don't expect to attach them to emails.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 20th, 2008 at 11:36 am.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Veteran

I bought one of the Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 video cameras and am quite pleased with it. The kit has enough mounting things that you can mount it almost anywhere. I used the handlebar mount and mounted it to the arm of the mirror on the GT. It remains there and I just slide the camera onto it an lock it. Pretty steady action too off the mirror stalk. It's all self-contained, small, and waterproof.

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/teqk7 It's almost full size in the photo on their page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 4:24 am

I have a Sony digital camcorder that takes an AV input.
I use a "helmet" camera, but never on the helmet.
Rather, I place the lipstick-style camera on a RAM on the tank or bars, forks, fairing or even simply velcroed to a simple alloy mount to shoot backward off the pillion peg mounts.

Being so high, I think the helmet diminishes the sense of speed with the wide angled lenses.

Hours of fun - track, twisties or commute - whatever takes your fancy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:45 am
Enthusiast

Yeah, I've messed around with quite a few setups over the years.

You can mount a Camcorder onto the bars, etc, a tape version will offer the best security for the recordings, the disc type used to be unable to write to the disc, not sure if they are better nowadays. I think these offer the best picture quality. These can be the cheapest solutions.

A bullet camera can be had for around £150 and be hooked up to a camcorder, the camcorder must have an AV in, not sure that the newer one's on the market have this. You will need a power supply for the bullet camera and a LANC controller for starting and stopping the recording, and the bullet cams have a smaller CCD resolution so the picture quality is not as good as a camcorder.

Then there are the digital recorders on the market, the advantage is that you can just copy the footage in file manager whereas with DV Tape you have to replay it onto a PC. I personally don't like MP4 quality so use MPEG2 devices (same quality as DV Tape). Hard Disk recorders can break, my Archos unit did, so solid state devices mean the footage is safe and be transfered easily.

I currently run a Chase Cam PDR and bullet cam, the PDR is powered via the accesory socket and the camera via the PDR a LANC is connected to start stop recording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8fFwyBqNQ

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Sw Motec

I bought the http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2210/441/ which is from SW-MOTECH gas cap mounting system which serves as both a camera mount and a tank bag connector. Sweet set up. Extremely fast set up and take down (like 2 seconds.)

My video shot on the Pacific Coast Highway using the Camera Mount from a tank mounted platform: Camera is a Sony Handy Cam with image stability on.

http://web.mac.com/crodge/iweb/Site/CaliWebRide.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 6:19 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I bought one of the Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 video cameras and am quite pleased with it. .

Hey GMack, I've looked at these a couple of times, and keep thinking I'm going to get one. Is there a USB connection with the camera to copy the movies to a PC? Or a connection to run it onto a TV set?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Hey GMack, I've looked at these a couple of times, and keep thinking I'm going to get one. Is there a USB connection with the camera to copy the movies to a PC? Or a connection to run it onto a TV set?
It has both a USB jack and another plug for the TV (looks like a mini stereo jack). It comes with a lot of combinations of gadgets and cables to fit about anything. A two-gig SD card (not included) runs for like an hour, more if you select a slower frame rate.

Nice thing is it's pretty darn small (my hand will almost cover it), runs on a couple of AA batteries and no other wires needed, and is completely water proof (back screws off and it has a couple of O-rings). No one has guessed what it is and I can carry it around in stealth mode in my hand. You cannot see what your taping as it has no viewfinder or screen, but you can pretty well align it by eye looking at the rectangular lens window at the front. It is surprisingly steady when I mounted it on the GT's mirror stalk with the included 1" handlebar quick mount. The LCD screen showing your speed, time, etc. is pretty small though so you need sharp eyes to read it.

I did notice that whatever AVI file it formats to doesn't always play in all players. Some codec issue I'm guessing. I have run it through some AVI conversion programs like VirtualDub and it made them playable in most AVI players.

For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

Mack
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

Mack
I think I agree with you. Ordered one just now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:45 am Thread Starter
JIS

Thanks guys; really helpful replies

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode