New Connie spews RD fluid - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict
 
dwsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshall, TX, USA
Posts: 549
New Connie spews RD fluid

I just read a report where a new Concours14 is spewing rear drive fluid. The photo shows oil all over the rear wheel and dripping down onto the tire. I guess Kawasaki outsourced their rear drives to BMW. (that's meant as a joke, folks)

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
dwsdad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 2:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict
 
dwsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshall, TX, USA
Posts: 549
I'll probably get blasted for this, but here's the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connierd1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7488   Click image for larger version

Name:	connierd2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	7489  

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
dwsdad is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 3:05 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , SoCal., USA
Posts: 1,507
Does the Connie have a single-sided swingarm??

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Mar 23rd, 2008 at 7:40 pm.
brucecha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 3:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict
 
dwsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshall, TX, USA
Posts: 549
I don't believe so. Not like BMW anyway.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
dwsdad is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:24 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , , UK
Posts: 3,750
Perhaps they should have used a chain or high performance belt and saved weight.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
voxmagna is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:51 pm
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 438
Wink Please say it isn't so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I just read a report where a new Concours14 is spewing rear drive fluid. The photo shows oil all over the rear wheel and dripping down onto the tire. I guess Kawasaki outsourced their rear drives to BMW. (that's meant as a joke, folks)
Cheap Japanese copies!!!!!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
ncooper is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:34 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Here's a neat photo I found of the final setup.




Wonder if it's assembled in China? This company makes a lot of motorcycles in China. Looking at their list, I also see BMW!

Didn't one of the head BMW corporate guys mention something about them having quality issues with Chinese-made bearings in MOA or somewhere?

I'd like to see BMW trying some ceramic bearings in their drives for a while. Might up the cost by $100, but long-term wear would be increased. No flaking-off of the chrome on the balls with them.
GMack is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:50 pm
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 262
I saw one (new Concours) in Louisiana with oil on the rear tire. I told the owner the mechanic must have not tightened the drain plug after the rear drive oil change. Maybe it was a leak.

KR Sport
lost-boy is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict
 
dwsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshall, TX, USA
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost-boy
I saw one (new Concours) in Louisiana with oil on the rear tire. I told the owner the mechanic must have not tightened the drain plug after the rear drive oil change. Maybe it was a leak.
I hope it was just a loose plug.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
dwsdad is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2008, 4:53 am
Enthusiast
 
davidk63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Concord, NC, USA
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Here's a neat photo I found of the final setup.




Wonder if it's assembled in China? This company makes a lot of motorcycles in China. Looking at their list, I also see BMW!

Didn't one of the head BMW corporate guys mention something about them having quality issues with Chinese-made bearings in MOA or somewhere?

I'd like to see BMW trying some ceramic bearings in their drives for a while. Might up the cost by $100, but long-term wear would be increased. No flaking-off of the chrome on the balls with them.
Wow, that thing would be a lot more comfortable of they put a seat on it!


'03 K1200GT

davidk63 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Fluid Reservoir Empty - Again? OCRSRider K1200RS/GT (Classic) 18 Jun 28th, 2008 10:19 am
Re:Synthetic Brake Fluid 007007 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 19 Mar 15th, 2008 8:04 pm
Adding/Removing Fluid From the K12RS Rear Reservoir? OCRSRider Technical, Repair and Maintenance 17 Dec 8th, 2006 4:41 am
constant odd fluid on top case... i need your help, please ClearwaterBMW K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 22 Nov 20th, 2006 4:47 am
K1200RS, Brake Fluid Repl. with ABS and Integral sys. montes K1200RS/GT (Classic) 14 Apr 26th, 2006 11:44 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome