bmw pricing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:46 am Thread Starter

bmw pricing

Hey guys,
I've been lurking here for quite some time and have finally gotten over my fears in regards
to the final drive failures and drive ability issues and am going to take the plunge on a new or demo k 1200 gt in the next couple of weeks. What I am unsure about however is what I should expect to pay. What I am basically being quoted is full retail plus tax, title, and license
which is fine if thats the norm for BMW. If it's not though I'd kind of like to have a heads up as
to what percentage off from list I should pay. Let me thank any of you nice enough to educate me up front, I sincerely appreciate any insight you guys are willing to pass along to someone green in so far as BMW's are concerned. If it's relevant, I live north of Detroit, Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 9:33 am
Rookie

Thumbs down bmw pricing

You should be able to do better than the quote you were given.Are you aware of the current promo from BMW that lasts until the end of the month?Did you price any other dealers?Keep us posted on how you make out,thanks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I was getting fearful I wouldn't hear from anyone since my first ever posting was asking for a favor. Yes, the dealer I visited told me about the $1000 in accesories
if I use BMW financing. I was actually very impressed with the gentleman that I spoke with and I even test rode a 2005 rt, which I decided against because of some bad scratches on the bags and the fact that the difference in payments between the new and used bikes was not near enough to offset the cost of repairing the bags, (it appears to have been dropped on each side at one time) or loosing the warranty. I loved the bike and the dealer, but although I've bought several bikes (30+) over the years, they have always been japanese and I know what to expect from those dealers. I don't need to have the cheapest price out there to be happy, but I hate that feeling that comes from buying something and then talking or seeing the same thing for thousands less a week later. I will post what ends up happening, but I am a couple weeks away from doing the deal. Thanks again for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:08 am
Noob

I was in your place recently and finally decided to take the plunge on a demo '07 GT with just over 500 miles on it. I won't go into all the details of the purchase negotiation, but after a couple weeks of exchanging emails, I had my "new" GT delivered back on the 22nd (heavy snow on the 21st precluded me from riding it home). Final price, $17,321, which, I was told, was $500 over dealer invoice, plus tax, title, license. OTD price just under $18,650 . Dealer included the 600 mile service and BMW tank bag.

The promotion on leftover '07's was either BMW making the first 3 payments, $1250 in BMW accessories and apparel, or an extra $1000 off the price of the bike (which I hadn't heard about until talking to the dealer). I took the extra $1000 off as well as BMW financing at 6.5% 48 month term. Better than my credit union at 7.25%.

Didn't ride it yesterday, temps in the low 30's, but couldn't resist this morning despite temps remaining in the low 30's. Only put about 5 miles riding around my neighborhood, but had a GREAT TIME! Heated seats and grips are worth the price of admission.

I am Looking forward to warmer temperatures so I can ride it without freezing my neck!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. The dealer I'm talking to mentioned that he "may" have a little wiggle room on the gt, but not on the rt. I would have to say I can do a little better than the first deal presented on the gt which was 18600 plus tax, title, ect and of course the bmw accessories deal. Thanks a million, or at least a thousand!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Almost forgot, congratulations on the new ride. I thought I had spring fever bad but I can't even imagine how hard you must be dealing with this extended winter with a new bike at the house. Have fun with it, you'll be riding before you know it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 3:21 pm
Enthusiast

BMW pricing

All pricing on vehicles, bikes, etc. is NEGOTIABLE!!!!!!!. Having been in sales for over 25 years I know this to be true. If I were you I would be contacting every BMW dealer within a 500 mile area and get quotes. Chicago BMW deals on bikes. The bike you mentioned is "used" since it is a demo and should be priced accordingly. A BMW sales guy told me first year depreciation on a BMW is from $2K-$3K. Personally I do not buy new bikes. I refuse to take the depreciation hit or pay the huge up front sales tax. I only buy pre-owned bikes with low mileage, still under warranty, and for a great price. I have done this with 3 BMW's and saved $15K. Do you know a BMW bike comes with a 3 year/36K mile warranty? I have seen several K1200GT's for sale on various websites with very low mileage and priced well. Just my .02. Good luck with your BMW buying experience and welcome to the board.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:38 pm

Since this is spring, we'll a lot of people are coming out of the “thaw” to get new bikes, ect. This is a booming time for the dealers historically.

I bought mine around June but still some riding time in the season (at least for the Pac NW). My dealer only negotiate SOME on the price (around $1,200K) but I understand that there is not that much margin on bike sales. What I did was turn to negotiate services / additional items for the bike. For instance, I received 10% off accessories purchased at time of bike purchase. This gave me enough lee-way to get a new muffler (and get rid of that truck muffler on the back) and some odds / ends like new helmet visor, gloves, boots, ect. I also negotiated 25% off the first service (which wasn’t that much to begin with).

There are always ways to pad it and don't be afraid to ask. Since you have owned many bikes in the past, this is probably a “no brainer” for you but thought I would mention it. Be “innovative” with your approach. Hell, last time I bought my used M3 I got the dealer to throw in a $50 Starbuck’s gift card for my wife. LOL

Finally, here is a post that I responded to explaining my reasoning for going BMW. Good luck and congrats to all those who purchased "new" BMW's for this season! Ride safe.

Cheers! - Walt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Hey Guys, Thanks a ton for the advice. And your right, I feel the same way about buying new stuff. In fact the only reason I was hoping to go new with the BMW is because of all of the issues with the final drives and driveability. Otherwise, I have always bought 1 or 2 year old stuff. I still havn't pulled the plug yet. What can I say, I'm indecissive as hell. Especially when it comes to something that I would like to keep for quite a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode