Interesting article in Motorcycle consumer news - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

Interesting article in Motorcycle consumer news

The latest issue of motorcycle consumer news has an interesting editorial about corporate sponsorship of websites. He makes the statement that many of the sponsors of websites such as this are paying up to $1000.00 a month for sponsorship rights. Some websites are apparently turning up to $175,000 annually in revenue from this but continue to solicit donations from their members. As a result corporations have sprung up which purchase a variety of these websites. LLC enthusiast communities which is listed at the bottom of this website is listed as one of these corporations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 3:53 pm
Addict-oholic

I think this website is "sponsored" by some fellow bike owners and not some big corporation. Will the "owners" please introduce themselves to the unsuspecting masses???

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:23 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I think this website is "sponsored" by some fellow bike owners and not some big corporation. Will the "owners" please introduce themselves to the unsuspecting masses???
Enthusiast Communities, LLC owns the site. That consists of randy and andy.

To the best of my knowledge, they are the only principals in the LLC. I would suggest you PM randy if you would like deeper details than what I've provided. I honestly don't know any more that that, as I'm not curious about it. There has never been any direct or indirect communications that would imply there's a corporation calling the shots; just those two I mention carry the real baseball bats.

The other three, grifscoots, shook sez, and yours truely, wander around aimlessly looking for broken links, fist-fights about to break out, and sloppy grammar to correct. We also answer emails to [email protected] and in general, try to help out as best we can.

The other five are moderators, which generally means they don't have accesss to some of the knobs and levers that are sitting down in the basement. BillyOmaha, chuckwillmot, OSM62, sportrider and voxmagna can, however, fix posts, add pictures when the new user is having a hard time, and run off the malcontents (we get one maybe once every three or four months) and in general, help grif and shook get all the beauty rest they normally need.

In brief, I think that answers your query...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Last edited by Razel; Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:13 pm. Reason: Corrected owners names
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:27 pm
Veteran

8 posts and stirring the pot already huh? Geez, .......this ought to settle your curiosity. Please take the time to read it.

http://davedragon.rilysi.com/2008/03...wed-pooch.html

"The April/08 edition of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) contains an ďEditorialĒ by LT Snyder entitled Motorcycle Message Boards Go Commercial.

In this piece LT Snyder laments the commercialization of Online Motorcycle Message Boards and the use of banner advertising as a vehicle for Corporate Profits. While thereís no doubt that SOME Online sites rely on Advertisers and Paid Sponsors to generate income; not all Online Motorcycle Communities operate under this paradigm.

In his piece he directly refers to message boards owned and operated by Enthusiast Communities LLC. and this is where LT Snyder screwed the pooch.

Enthusiast Communities LLC Is owned and operated by Gentlemen I know personally; Randy Prade and Andreas Pleschutznig.

EC-LLC operates Brand Specific Motorcycle Communities that are renowned for the quality of content, the helpful and friendly attitude & demeanor of the board members and NO Banner or In-Line Advertisements from external sources, Period.

Individual Membership on the boards is free of charge; however Members may make donations to support the site if they choose to do so. There are Vendor Forums where all Vendor Products & Advertisements are contained and kept out of the Main Forums. To become a supporting Vendor and receive your own forum to sell your wares is a modest $120.00 per year.

As a Member, you may completely disregard the Vendor Forums if you choose to, and you will never see a commercial advertisement in the general forums. Should a member be in search of just the right accessory for their Motorcycle they may visit the Vendor Forums and take advantage of special pricing for board members.

You may ask how I know these details and why Iím writing this piece. Iím one of the large team of volunteers that run the day-to-day operation of these boards.

Iím an Administrator of the http://www.bmwlt.com site known as BMW Luxury Touring Community. My handle on the board is DaveDragon.

I spent three years as a Moderator on the site before taking on the Administrator role. Basically, I deal with New User Issues, Board Configuration, Security Issues, Banning Spammers and supporting the Moderators who monitor and maintain an even keel in the individual forums.

The Platoon Size team of Moderators and Administrators that keep the boards functioning smoothly are all Volunteers and receive nothing in the way of compensation for the additional full time jobs they perform in these roles. In fact most, if not all of us support the sites with our own dollars.

Enthusiast Communities LLC was created to provide a modicum of legal insulation between the Boards operation and the Owners personal lives.

LT Snyder took a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) at the revenue for the board and came up with $175,000 a year. Only problem is he was off buy just a little more than $172,000. The rest of the overhead to operate the boards, host the servers, provide bandwidth and keep the lights on comes out of the pockets of the gentlemen I mentioned earlier.

Had LT Snyder actually checked his ďfactsĒ he would have found that http://www.bmwlt.com and all of the other boards operated by EC-LLC follow the same paradigm of volunteers supporting membership-free boards where vendors must register, pay a modest fee and stay within their vendor forums.

Instead, LT Snyder just threw out the baby with the bath water instead of actually doing the research to insure accuracy in his piece.

Iím a subscriber of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) and Iím surprised that Franke Santos, an associate Editor gave this one a Pass through the Quality Gate as itís riddled with inaccuracies, suppositions and exaggerations that just donít meet the previous quality standard one has come to expect of MCN. This is where MCN screwed the pooch!

Future readings of MCN articles by me will definitely require a higher degree of scrutiny and personal fact checking before I'm confident in the content.

I would hope MCN will do the right thing here and publish an article with equal visibility stating the truth about our Motorcycle Communities.

I truly hope the blatant ďmisstatementsĒ of the "facts" will not cause any long-term harm to the communities we all work so hard to provide for our members.

Should you wish to contact the editor of MCN in support of our Motorcycle Communities you may reach them at [email protected]. "

Nuff said.

BTW.....I love this place. More power to these guys even if they were making a boat load O'cash!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:29 pm
IBR# 366

The article mentioned is based on conjecture and innuendo and is patently false. The author took one small case and assumed it applied to every website and then ran some numbers that he pretty much pulled out of thin air.

While I am not an owner of this site or BMWLT.com, I have been participating since we were a tiny little eGroups list almost 9 years ago. And I have met and ridden with the site owners many times in many different states and in fact consider them friends. And I can guarantee these guys spend far more of their time, expertise, and money than they could ever hope to get back. That's just what you do when you're passionate about something.

There have been several letters sent to the author and MCN stating the facts and asking for a public retraction, but somehow I doubt that they'll get anywhere.

If you're interested in more details, check this thread where the unfounded accusations are debunked in great detail.

The worst part about all this is that this site and BMWLT.com are exactly the kind of enthusiast-supported sites that the author is complaining about losing. So in fact he's slandering exactly the riders that he claims to be protecting.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:35 pm
Enthusiast

Hi! One of the greedy corporate bastards checking in here.

I am the managing partner of Enthusiast Communities, LLC. As others have pointed out, the article in MCNews has absolutely no basis in fact. We are the same people who created this community and BMWLT.com. There are no banner ads on this site, nor do we charge very much for a dealer or vendor to support this community. Both Andy and I have real jobs and do not make any money off of these communities. In fact, like many of you, we are contributors to this community.

Currently I own a K1200GT, R1200GS and a K1200S. My wife rides a K1200S and an F650GS. I also work as an unpaid volunteer for a motorcycle based 501(c)3 non-profit that generates over $20,000 in donations toward local charities during our annual Curve Cowboy Reunion. When I am not working at my real job, you will find me out riding. Last year I took the month of June to ride my GS to the Arctic Circle and Alaska. Bike and story here. We are riders and enthusiasts - no more, no less.

I am always available for comment - just send me a PM. Unfortunately MCNews appears to be more interested in filling pages than printing facts. I know I will be much more sceptical of anything I read in that rag from now on.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:40 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
The latest issue of motorcycle consumer news has an interesting editorial about corporate sponsorship of websites. He makes the statement that many of the sponsors of websites such as this are paying up to $1000.00 a month for sponsorship rights. Some websites are apparently turning up to $175,000 annually in revenue from this but continue to solicit donations from their members. As a result corporations have sprung up which purchase a variety of these websites. LLC enthusiast communities which is listed at the bottom of this website is listed as one of these corporations
I would suggest that you click on 'Support this Community' at the bottom of any page. There you will find the actual fees that vendors and dealers pay to become supporters of this community. It is more than a little annoying that L. T. Snyder couldn't have taken this simple step prior to publishing his editorial.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm

Thanks to Randy and Andy for the forum. You guys are officially non-greedy corporate bastards to me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:25 am

Motorcycle Consumer News is not worthy of quoteing
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 1:08 pm

To the principals.

Guys, guys. We all trust and appreciate your contribution to this really great site. Just remember the old adage if..."thou dost protest too much".

Thx again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode