"Head Injury Surcharge" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

"Head Injury Surcharge"

Ok, I've got something to make you California riders feel better about the CHP. I live in Ma. and often head out to the Western part of the state when I have only a few hours to ride. Rural, rolling hillsides and uncrowded roads make for some of the best riding Massachusetts has to offer. That was the case today, as I headed west on Ma. RT2 for a 4 hour Sunday morning escape. I'm heading west at 8:15am on a deserted highway, running at 75mph. I crest a hill to find a Ma. State Police speed trap with a few cars pulled over. I was pulled over and written a ticket for travelling 73mph. (Turns out that the speed limit on Rt 2 is only 55mph, when the rest of the state is 65mph [email protected]#$%. I should have known that.) In addition to the $130 speeding ticket, I was also levied a "Head Injury Surcharge" of $50. Whatever the hell that is... Grand total was $180 for running 8 mph over the statewide speed limit of 65 mph. I was tempted to debate that I should be granted a discount on the head injury surcharge because I had dropped nearly $600 on an Arai helmet. The trooper didn't look like he was up for sarcasm though. I guess Ma. runs a close second to Ca. when it comes to overpriced real estate, over zealous troopers and strokes of legislative genius like the Head Injury Surcharge Law.

What a buzz kill. Was a great ride though. Guess I need to get to work on a radar detection solution.

TJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 4:14 am
Veteran

CHP is pretty harsh and cruel. they are like robots, sometimes with attitudes. you can't get out of any tickets with those guys, unless you play softball with them. the problem with them is that at times they are assigned a specific enforcement duty or target enforcement. for example, speed violations in specific areas(such as in your case), dui enforcement. leaving a high traffic area for nightclubs, which i was not in attendance, my friend and i were pulled over because "my license plate lights did not illuminate my plate enough and another time/red bulbs in brakelights seemed faded." both times were just to check for drinkers.

the problems with the target enforcement is that they book alot of people who really aren't a danger, which is what enforcement should be for IMP. they just meet their "average officer performance," which is the politically correct name for quota.

sounds like the head injury is to cover the cost of people without insurance or are provided care by the state for motorcycle related injuries.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 7:20 am Thread Starter
TJD
Rookie

Surcharge

I checked the Ma. DMV website and found that the Head Injury Surcharge is levied on all speeding tickets, for both cars and motorcycles. It supposedly goes into a trust fund to treat head injuries. It sounds nice enough but I find it very hard to believe in our state. It smacks of another misplaced social program by democratic Gov. Duval Patrick.

Oh well, my fault for travelling over the limit I guess.

TJD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 7:27 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
CHP is pretty harsh and cruel. they are like robots, sometimes with attitudes. you can't get out of any tickets with those guys, unless you play softball with them. the problem with them is that at times they are assigned a specific enforcement duty or target enforcement.
Ain't that the truth!!!

Hwy. 395 around Mono Lake is another one of their "playgrounds." They'll speed by you - if they don't get you first - and then turn around at the bottom of the hill and wait until you come down as they just know you'll be over the speed limit going down the thing.

I guess it's the price we pay for them to live in Mammoth Lakes like our secretary's son. The ones with massive enforcement overtime get to live in Kirkwood.

Mack
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:04 pm
Addict

Well, whats next eh? The 'injured ass-tax?".....why is my ass so much less important than my f'in head? unreal...

In Mi, they disguised this tax as something else, can't remember the name, but your insurance co has to add oh about 150 bucks to your bill for the state....i think it had to do with injuries not covered by the other driver or something, dunno.

but, guess what...biker's had to pay, but were not covered under that guise.

if the gov't wants/needs money from us for something, they need to just come out and say it. I'd anti up voluntarily each year for support if the $$ went where it was supposed to.

that in a nutshell, is the problem with the gov't....WHERE is the money really going??

and tommorrow, I wake up on the other side of the bed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 1:03 pm
Addict

all you can expect from democrats is never ending increases in taxes and fees.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm
Would rather be riding

Flame bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
all you can expect from democrats is never ending increases in taxes and fees.
Give us a break, we're just trying to balance the budget after all the deficit spending and unfunded mandates from the republicans.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm
Addict

no kidding, all I can see is the economic aftermath of 'nam again, I couldn't get a job sweeping floors when I got out of the USMC in '74 and I'm not exaggerating one bit.

if you think we're not back there already, just take a look around....

i don't care what they call themselves (dems, dats, repubs, et el), we need SOMEONE to lead us out of this stoopidity in hopefully, more than one piece...

oops, is that off thread?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:46 pm
Enthusiast

I know they have a job to do but... oh, I'm still pissed. I was driving - not riding - which was the real cause. See, I was driving to work the other morning and broke my two golden rules (1. Pay attention, and 2. Always slow down on overpasses for obvious reasons) while following my platinum rule (never go the speed limit). In short, because I was driving, I wasn't paying attention but was listening to an interview with cob webs in my mind...

So this constable pulls me over... says he's going to write me up for 80 in a 65. He does. I say, "Okay, so you're out here and there are like, 8 cars on a three-lane Texas toll road, and you give me a ticket?" He says there's a correlation between tickets for speeding and reduced accidents. I swear I don't ever think I've seen one accident on this particular low-traffic toll. Ever! in 10 years! So I tell him my three rules, tell him I drive 80-100 mph routinely on this particular low-traffic toll and that he'll never get me again b/c I'll be following my three rules next time. I've got to say, I said it respectfully, but he was very cool about it. A real pro. Didn't "cop" an attitude nor did I.

But I'm still so irritated, I can't call to check out my fines. And it's been about 3 weeks since. (No defensive driving for 25 or more over the speed limit, which SUCKS!)

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:34 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Give us a break, we're just trying to balance the budget after all the deficit spending and unfunded mandates from the republicans.
i know one thing, the democrats probably outsourced the consulting jobs required to balance the budget, just like they did the rest of our jobs. aka "free trade." compliments of Bill most of our jobs are in Canada, Mexico, China, and India. I believe with the exception of Canada and some of Mexico, most of the junk produced comes without regulation. No wonder it is so damn inexpensive, whoops i meant cheap. I guess you can expect a 12 year old to produce something that is as worthless as the "customer support" you get from these companies.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode