Interesting read about riding in NYC - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Interesting read about riding in NYC

Found this in a different forum. A good read if you plan on doing any sort of riding in NYC.

New York City’s Crack Down on Motorcyclists to Continue in 2008
By: Shahram Shiva of BMWSuperBikes.com - Backroads - May 2008

Last year around this time, I wrote about the NYPD’s Summer of 2007 crack down on motorcycles. Although initially I thought they were going to harass all types of bikes, it turned out that for the most part Cruisers were exempt. The City’s focus was primarily on Sport, Naked, Sport-Touring and Scooters. Since I ride a Sport-Touring bike I also got pulled over unfairly and was ticketed. Well, this crackdown, got quite a bit of attention. In addition to many motorcycling web sites, there was coverage in New York Daily News on Sunday, June 10, 2007, with a picture of a long line of bikes that were confiscated for one reason or another. All in all, last summer the city issued about 6,000 tickets to motorcyclists and confiscated about 400 motorcycles.

The word is the mayor’s office is once again prompting the NYPD to go after bikers starting with the Memorial Day weekend all the way through the Labor Day weekend. If you’re going to ride in the City this summer please make sure you and your bike meet these 5 requirements: 1) A valid inspection sticker. 2) Valid registration sticker. 3) Valid insurance. 4) You have a motorcycle endorsed license. 5) You are wearing a DOT approved helmet with proper eye-protection. If you or your bike misses only 1 of these 5 points, the city of New York will most probably confiscate your bike.

As a daily motorcycle commuter, normally I’m for provisions that support safe riding. I wear riding gear all the time with proper DOT and SNELL approved full face helmet. I keep the paperwork on my bike up to date and I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license. However, the concentrated method in which these motorcycle-only check points were conducted last year sends the signal that the city of New York is against motorcycling as a whole. Granted we aren’t fully blameless in this manner.

There seems to be a gradual uprising from various municipalities around the country against two-wheelers. The old cliché “loud pipes save lives” has turned into another more apt slogan “loud pipes lose rights.” The extremely loud, straight pipes on many choppers and cruisers and the street stunting of the young sport bike crowd is turning the popular vote against us. It doesn’t matter if you ride a Luxo-Tourer or an Enduro, the public views all two-wheel riders the same.

But it shouldn’t be like that. We aren’t really the bad guys. In fact we are one of the best practical examples of environmentally conscious living.

Motorcycles are globally hailed as a green form of transportation. They occupy much less roadway - hence reduce congestion. They put much less wear on our roads than any car, even a Compact, let alone SUV’s and trucks. They offer twice the fuel economy of an average car -- most motorcycles offer 50mpg -- hence they not only save fuel but they also reduce the harmful emissions. They require far fewer raw materials to manufacture and most of their parts are recyclable. And they only need one-fourth the parking space of an average car.

I hope that the mayor’s office considers embracing motorcycles as a safe, viable and green form of transportation and offer incentives to encourage more, rather than fewer commuters and residents to try a two-wheeled alternative.

For example motorcycles are strangely missing in New York’s PlaNYC initiative for a greener, greater New York. Other large cities, such as London and Madrid, have long understood the undeniable benefits of motorcycles and they not only encourage them for daily commuting, but they exempt all motorcycles from their “congestion fee” and in fact, have created free motorcycle parking areas and also allow motorcyclists to ride in bus lanes. In California, a motorcycle-friendly state, splitting-lanes is legal and encouraged as means to not only reduce congestion and emissions, but also car vs. motorcycle accidents. FARS data from the US Department of Transportation shows that rear-end collisions with motorcycles are 30% lower in California than in Florida or Texas, states with similar riding seasons and populations.

In short, there are no inherently negative attributes associated with motorcycles, so we seem to be our own worst enemy. Motorcycling, especially in larger cities, provides an unquestionable benefit to growing global congestion and emissions problems. I hope both our local riding community and the City can work together in supporting and maintaining a fantastic mode of transportation that surely could be beneficial in the long run to the City of New York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:34 pm
Addict

I think this all started with the hell's angels back in the 60's if I recall the dates correctly. Or maybe it was that marlon brando guy.

I'm apologize up front but folks in the USA have their heads up their ass regarding this subject..and others. You know, non-conformance and all, us 'rebels' that won't buy the right cage, believe in the right gods, et el.

Put a little cover over your bike, give it a car name and we'll all be just fine eh?

Not disagreeing with the loud pipes and all but daym, I sure don't see cager's going thru this grief...mmm, might be a little wrong there, considering all the commie checkpoints we now have in this country, AZ is rakin' in the dough in the same manner to some degree.

But that was after their attempt in some towns here, to single out bikers with noise ordnance, etc. Gotta play fair.

Way too many cops' employed in this country right now in my opinion, with nothing better to do, since 9-11. And yes, I carry my own 9-11....or 19-11 I should say A lot of our cities make Bagdad look like the place to go yet, try doing 2mph over in say, nebraska lately where there is a cop stationed every 1/2 mile or less at times. Same in TX, etc.

why the hell aren't the law folks flooding the cities where most of the real crimes are, like murder, etc?

ya'll need to organize a biker day and flood the place.

I can hardly wait until gas hits over $5/gal, its already 4.10 here in socal (bike gas, prem)...maybe the cagers/states will change their attitudes and the rest of the country will look like AZ during biking season, more bikes than cages.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
ya'll need to organize a biker day and flood the place.
Personally I would love to see this happen. Anyone interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 5:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbiker
If you’re going to ride in the City this summer please make sure you and your bike meet these 5 requirements: 1) A valid inspection sticker. 2) Valid registration sticker. 3) Valid insurance. 4) You have a motorcycle endorsed license. 5) You are wearing a DOT approved helmet with proper eye-protection. If you or your bike misses only 1 of these 5 points, the city of New York will most probably confiscate your bike.
What is "A valid inspection sticker"? (Item # 1)

Does it come on the bike?
Is it specific to New York?

Unless it was part of the bike when it was delivered to me, I didn't get a valid inspection sticker here in California. I have items 2-4 only.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Addict-oholic

New York State requires an anuual inspection for all autos and motorcycles. This is a safety and emissions check for cars. For motorcycles, it is a safety check that all lights, signals etc are operating, the brakes in good shape along with the tires with enough tread. A no brainer, but many people forget or don't do it as the only places that do the inspection are motorcycle dealers and very few garages or serice stations.

I have all the necessary stuff as i ride into NYC on an occassional basis ( visiting manhattan BMW for service and inspection) and a pass through from Westchester County to Long Island, i have to cross the water within the boundaries of NYC. I have been stopped once many years ago when i had the first ST1100 in the area and a patrol car had to see it. NO summons as I was not speeding at the time. he just wanted a look see at the bike.

I have nver seen a problem with motorcycles in NYC except when the cops go after the obvious unlicensed or unregistered bikes going a zillion miles an hour on the hiways or even on the parkway pedestrian pavement.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Veteran

I just have one observation......why the hell would any one want to ride in NYC in the first place?

I think I'd rather have a cold water enema.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Looking for better limits...

Cruisers were exempt???

I guess too many RUB's would fuss at the city should they get stopped unnecessarily.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I just have one observation......why the hell would any one want to ride in NYC in the first place?

I think I'd rather have a cold water enema.
I don't understand you're logic, Robert. If one lives in NYC, and is a motorcyclist, how can one NOT ride in NYC? Are we supposed to just give up our motorcycles?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 8:33 pm
Addict-oholic

I live 25 miles north of NYC and frequently, I take a ride into the Big Apple( to drop my bike off at BMW Manhattan for service) and or to visit.
Never a problem! Sometimes the traffic is a bitch but I know when and where to travel in NYC.
Never been hassled for anything.

For the person who has never been to NYC, it is exciting , and especially on a motorcycle.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Last edited by larrykay; May 4th, 2008 at 8:45 pm.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
For the person who has never been to NYC, it is exciting , and especially on a motorcycle.
I bet. It freaks me out to ride into San Antonio, TX.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode