Considering a switch to k1200s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Considering a switch to k1200s

Good evening all

I currently ride an Aprilia Futura and I am considering the switch to a K1200s. Love the looks of the yellow and black and reports seem very favorable. I am interested in long distance touring away from Interstates and concentrating on back-roads.

I am wondering about things like range and comfort. I am about to turn the half centennial and ye' ol' back ain't what it used to be.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaderRider
Good evening all

I currently ride an Aprilia Futura and I am considering the switch to a K1200s. Love the looks of the yellow and black and reports seem very favorable. I am interested in long distance touring away from Interstates and concentrating on back-roads.

I am wondering about things like range and comfort. I am about to turn the half centennial and ye' ol' back ain't what it used to be.

Many thanks in advance.
I have ridden my S all day (500 plus miles) back to back for ten days straight. And on that particular trip might have been on the interstate about 1/4 of the time. Mostly secondary mountain roads. And if it matters I rode that trip two up. Stock factory low seat. Almost 51 and I can ride the bike all day and it really does not beat me up.

The fuel range for me is like this on the mountain roads where you are really cranking the R's it gets in the low 40's for mileage. On the highway at 75 - 80 mph it will hit 50-52mpg. I know that does not sound right but I have done that consistently since I bought the bike, about 8,500 miles ago.
Good luck.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 8:31 am
Enthusiast

had one got one

Quote:
Good evening all

Many thanks in advance.
I rode a fut before I got the KS. The Fut is a very capable, comfortable, and sporty bike with enough power to get you into trouble. It's a little quirky and that's part of it's charm.

The K1200S is a rocket ship! All day comfortable, more capable as a sport bike or tourer, gobs of power and a cornering stability like it's on rails. Keep in mind my Fut was fully modified, full boat Wilbers 641 and Jim Lindeman re-manufactured forks. No big bore kit though. I think the K1200S is much more bike than the Fut. in every category. My fuel average on the Fut 40-42 mpg. On the KS 38-42 mpg.

John
2006 K1200S "Bumble Bee" Leo Vince Evo2 Ti can, Pazzo shorty's black/gold, Rizoma rearsets, grip puppies, MRA Vario screen, Sandbar Composites "dog bones", RhinoMoto ft axle, barend, swing arm sliders, GSG body sliders, snorkles out, Corbin w/pillion back rest, chrome reverse muffler bearings, hone extruded hyper dirve,
If you can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 8:59 am Thread Starter

So MacMan
I guess number one question for me at this point is comfort and seating position. How does the Fut compare to the k1200s?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 12:14 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
So MacMan
I guess number one question for me at this point is comfort and seating position. How does the Fut compare to the k1200s?
IMO, the KS is every bit as comfortable as the Fut. In my case, caveat........ every rider is different......... I found the KS more comfortable than the Fut for general ergos. I have upgraded the seat to a Corbin, just ok IMO, and I plan to go to see Rick Mayers and have him customize my stock seat so when I'm 1 up I'll use the Mayers, 2 up (which is rare as my pillion has a Duc of her own) I'll go with the Corbin.

The reach to the bars is "slightly" forward on the KS and for me more comfortable than the Fut because the bars, being a little higher on KS gives me a more relaxed position. The hip to peg is very comfortable in the stock configuration. I did install Rizoma rearsets and prefer them to the stock peg situation. The stock seat/peg alignment is very comfortable if you give a slight arch to your lower back and ride relaxed it's easy to do 400 to 500 mile days. Also, squeeze the tank slightly with your knees, a little more that the Fut, and it puts you in the right posture. Again my caveat, every rider is different in body type and bio-mechanical functions or lack thereof in my case.

I've also found that the KS is easier to ride than the Fut, requiring fewer rider inputs, once you get past the rocket blast acceleration.

Hope this helps.

John
2006 K1200S "Bumble Bee" Leo Vince Evo2 Ti can, Pazzo shorty's black/gold, Rizoma rearsets, grip puppies, MRA Vario screen, Sandbar Composites "dog bones", RhinoMoto ft axle, barend, swing arm sliders, GSG body sliders, snorkles out, Corbin w/pillion back rest, chrome reverse muffler bearings, hone extruded hyper dirve,
If you can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2008, 5:28 pm
Enthusiast

Thinking about a K12S

J.R.
I recommend you test ride a K12S and a R12RT. There is a pretty big difference between the riding position and if your "back ain't what it used to be" the RT may be a better option for you. I rode a 93 K11RS for 11 years and 68K miles so I know a bit about the seating position of a K bike. Let me say that I love an inline 4 engine. However, I am really pleased with the performance of the RT. My reason for changing from a K bike to the RT was for more protection, upright seating (more comfort) and the telever front end (no more dive). I got all three and more performance with the R1200RT. Don't even think about test riding the 2004 or older model RT. Their is no comparison between the R1200 and the R11 models. Say what you will about the looks buy mechanically the R12 is better in everyway vs. the R1100/1150. Of course you cannot compare the K12S to the RT in terms of h.p. The RT in 3rd/4th gear at or above 5K rpm's will run like a scalded dog and if you are a competent rider not much will get away from you in the mountains. Just my .02.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Keith
I have actually rented an R1200RT and really liked it. Just a touch top heavy [for me] so I did not feel as confident on dirt roads and parking it in some spots on the side of the road. But at the end of the day $$ got in the way.

In the mean time, the k 1200 r sport has caught my eye but it looks like those puppies are hard to come by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode