Mid life crisis ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 1:48 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Mid life crisis ?

There are some things in life that it is hard to own up to – drugs, sex, theft, lies .. yes these are tough (not that I am owning up to any of them!). However, if I were to say that my return to biking at the age of 50 (2 years ago) had become almost obsessive; I wonder if any of you would nod in agreement? When I say obsessive, I don’t mean biking all day long and talking nothing but bikes - at least I don’t think so. I mean, I find myself dreaming about bike rides as I go to sleep; I find myself planning imaginary trips and imagining the ride. I spend most evening reading out bikes and on these forums...
I suspect it’s all a bit of a “mid life” crisis, but the truth is that I never anticipated the impact that a return to biking would have. I recall my fabulous Suzuki GS 750; and whilst I loved that bike, I readily sold it when I needed a car. But now, I have taken and passed my Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists “Green Badge” and am a much better rider today than I ever was in my 20s; but why is it that my love of motorcycling has gone through the roof; and my love of FAST bikes is way over the top? I’m not suggesting that I break speed limits (I adhere strictly to 30s, 40s and 50s; but above that, I tend to ride for the conditions!) but I get a real kick from winding it on, on the 130 bhp+ bikes.
Perhaps it’s just me … perhaps I'll grow out of it; but clearly not yet as a graphite K1200GT SE has stolen my heart !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 4:09 pm
Enthusiast

Three Hail Marys, two Lord's Prayer's and alms in the poor box.

Guilt time is over. And what's the matter with speeding, if you don't get nicked?

KR Sport
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Strafist

I live motorcycles, but dream about 20 year old gals.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 6:37 am
Addict

I began to ride at 42 as a "personal growth" project. I had friends with busas and gsxers but I researched the bikes and ended up on a 1998 R1150R. I wanted to make sure my first bike wasn't more than I could handle. A few months later I traded up to a K1200GT that I rode 24,000 miles on, including a trip from New Orleans to Vegas and the grand canyons.

I tried the dual sport thing and wanted to ride my GSA anniversary edition to Alaska and then south american but the divorce intervened and I had to sell the beast. Now I twist the throttle on a K1200R Sport when my head needs clearing and I relish the times when I can lean it to extreme angles, bring the front tire off the ground from the power and run throught the gears as if my life depends upon it.

Mid life crisis? Dude, be glad you are alive at all! Living, at least to me, is more than a routine existence. It is finding ways to grow personally and adventuring out into this great big world we live in. At our age (45 this year) time races by us. Let's live! Twist the right grip and hold on. See sights and smell smells and query fellow travelers as you cross state after state. Eat foods you never considered, be kind to those you meet on the road and travel light for the road ahead is long.

Ride safe and we can ride forever,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 7:21 am
Rookie

You have no problem. Just buy it!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 8:04 am
Addict

no mid life crisis just a desire to get back to something you enjoy. I started riding when i was 41, i always wanted a bike but never enough to actually go out and buy one. in 2002 a bunch of guys i worked with had bike and after listening to all their riding stories i finally ponied up the money and bought a bike. i soon found out the guys that had bikes never really rode them and did more talking than riding. i ride my bike since i don't believe in something sitting in my garage looking good but not doing what i bought it to do.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:07 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
no mid life crisis. No way Dude!

Some of us have not had a mid life crisis, as it implies growing older, I absolutely refuse to grow up (the damn body is 65 though).

You will love the new GT

The GT does the long trips The FZ1 commutes to work 3 of 5 and the Duc & GT does the rest. I am ashamed to admit that in going to work 29 days, I used that four wheeled thing 6 times. (finally got ride of the snow and ice mid April) Haven't figured out how to carry the extra big things home on the GT yet.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:21 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Wink

Thanks; at least I am not alone. It's funny isn't it; you speak to car drivers and, whilst they like their cars; and some have very expensive cars; they simply don't arouse the same emotions. I mean, there is something quite extraordinary in warping past a number of cars to find clear road ahead and a sign showing bends....

Just cannot wait to buy a GT; I am more excited than a little boy on Christmas eve .....

However, I must calm my excitement as I have yet to get re-employed and without that, I cannot get the bike .. c'est la vie.

Thanks guys

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Last edited by JIS; May 16th, 2008 at 3:45 pm.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:31 pm
Gus
Noob

A better description is "mid-life enlightment"!

Gus
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:53 pm
I'm riding

Midlife crisis? Yes, a bit of it Or, better, instead of it
If you mean thoughts about your place in the life or achievements or remaining time or age counting or young girls attraction or whatever disturbing your peace of mind - then bike is perfect solution.
At least it asks nothing in return. But it gives you so much pleasure and emotions...
Me too started riding at 42 - my wife almost forced me, that was her dream of the life

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode