Windscreen Care Suggestions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Windscreen Care Suggestions?

I never had a windscreen until I bought my K1200GT. It has the BMW tall windscreen. I am looking for advice, suggestions, ideas, etc. regarding windscreen care and expected lifetime.

What do you do to care for your windscreen?
How often do you clean it?
How do you clean it?
What products do you recommend to clean and preserve it?
Do you remove the windscreen for cleaning?
How long do windscreens typically last before they need to be replaced?

Here is what I have been doing for my K1200GT. What do you think?

1. Remove the windscreen.
2. Using a garden hose, give it a good soak.
3. With my hands and the hose water, gently wipe the grime and dirt off.
4. If there are still bugs stuck on it, spray the spots with BMW bug remover and let them soak for a few minutes.
5. Rinse.
6. Dry the windscreen with microfiber cloths (the cheap ones from Target).
7. Spray Novus 1 on both sides and wipe with dry microfiber cloths.

I notice that there are tiny sparkles (scratches?) on the windscreen. They are very small and hard to see, unless I am riding into the sun. I don't know if they are some kind of wax buildup from the Novus, or actual scratches, or what.

All recommendations and ideas are most welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 11:58 am
Looking for better limits...

I clean mine with Plexus. If there's a lot of bugs, I'll use a wet, towel and let it sit on the screen for five minutes, then rinse off with additional water and the towel. Dry it, spray Plexus on it (helps keep the bugs from sticking really, really hard) and I'm done.

Wash it with soap and water when I wash the rest of the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 3:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
I clean mine with Plexus. If there's a lot of bugs, I'll use a wet, towel and let it sit on the screen for five minutes, then rinse off with additional water and the towel. Dry it, spray Plexus on it (helps keep the bugs from sticking really, really hard) and I'm done.

Wash it with soap and water when I wash the rest of the bike.
What he said.....

and...... DO NOT USE WINDEX OR ANYTHING LIKE IT! That's a sure fire way to frost up a windshield.

(Lemon Pledge works well, too)

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Noob

clean windscreen

At home take newspaper and soak with water and lay on windshield and keep wet for a time, bugs will soak off, On the road I use alot of water and what ever I can, or let the dew from overnight hit the windscreen then clean off.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Veteran

What everyone else said....and when washing or drying do it from top to bottom..not across and not in circles ever!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm
Would rather be riding

I just clean it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
What everyone else said....and when washing or drying do it from top to bottom..not across and not in circles ever!
Huh. I just clean it -- scrub it with the squeegee at the gas station, use the high pressure wash when I wash the bike, and Windex wipes at home for spot cleaning. I don't wipe in any particular direction.

I don't think Windex will hurt the shield, but I have no facts to back this up. (Well, I do notice Windex comes in plastic bottles...) I've only had the GT since last August, but I've been cleaning the shield on my other bike this way for more than 10 years, never had a problem.

I use Windex wipes on my helmet shield too, after pretty much every ride. At the gas station I dip a rag in the squeegee water and use that, never had a problem with it.

Maybe some aftermarket shields are made out of different plastic? The factory shield looks like polycarbonate to me, which I think is usually coated with something else.

Has anyone actually damaged a windshield by cleaning it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 8:37 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
1. Remove the windscreen.
Whyn remove the windscreen? I l never remove it. I clean it while on the bike. I use a cushioned stick to get my microfiber cloth into the inner part at the bottom.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Zaino

Caveat -- I don't have a K1200GT yet, sadly, so have never used this on the motorcycle myself.

Might check out Zaino products. The glass polish worked very well on my BMW 3 series windshield and the plastic cleaner/protectant worked very well on the headlight lenses. Cleaned up some scratches and left a slick surface additional debris didn't stick to easily.

Commentators on the Zaino page show the plastic cleaner removing scratches and protecting "bug guards" on SUVs. Again, I've not been there myself, but that seems very similar to the abuse a motorcycle windscreen might endure.

Their other products have worked very well on my car, for whatever that's worth !!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob

I don't think Windex will hurt the shield, but I have no facts to back this up. (Well, I do notice Windex comes in plastic bottles...) I've only had the GT since last August, but I've been cleaning the shield on my other bike this way for more than 10 years, never had a problem.
I guess I'd better qualify why I said that. I used to use Windex on the windshield of my '86 Connie. Over time the shield got really fine cracks in it. I changed that shield and never used Windex again on any shield I ever put on that bike. Never had another instance of a fogged up or frosted windshield. It more than likely is/was the material it's made out of. I think the original was Lexan. I think the Rifle system was Lexan, as has been every custom windshield I've put on it since. Polycarbonate may be safe from Windex, but I ain't risking it.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Lieu

First, I always make sure to use the windshield cleaner at the gas stations. I have found that if your press really hard while rubbing the dusty film will come off. Then if the windshield isn't quite clean enough, I rub a little Comet onto some heavy steel wool and concentrate on small circular patterns working across the windshield diagonally. Finally, I finish off the process by rubbing some Rain-X onto the windshield. Ta-da... beautiful!!!

This process never fails to draw gawkers who marvel at my magical cleaning prowness!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode