Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Windscreen Care Suggestions?
I never had a windscreen until I bought my K1200GT. It has the BMW tall windscreen. I am looking for advice, suggestions, ideas, etc. regarding windscreen care and expected lifetime.
What do you do to care for your windscreen?
How often do you clean it?
How do you clean it?
What products do you recommend to clean and preserve it?
Do you remove the windscreen for cleaning?
How long do windscreens typically last before they need to be replaced?
Here is what I have been doing for my K1200GT. What do you think?
1. Remove the windscreen.
2. Using a garden hose, give it a good soak.
3. With my hands and the hose water, gently wipe the grime and dirt off.
4. If there are still bugs stuck on it, spray the spots with BMW bug remover and let them soak for a few minutes.
6. Dry the windscreen with microfiber cloths (the cheap ones from Target).
7. Spray Novus 1 on both sides and wipe with dry microfiber cloths.
I notice that there are tiny sparkles (scratches?) on the windscreen. They are very small and hard to see, unless I am riding into the sun. I don't know if they are some kind of wax buildup from the Novus, or actual scratches, or what.
All recommendations and ideas are most welcome. Thanks.