What bike should I get?/Introduction - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

What bike should I get?/Introduction

I am a noobie to the motorcycle craze and I want to know what a good bike would be as a starter bike. I drove my buddies K75C the other day and I love it, now I am searching for my own bike. It doesn't have to be a BMW but I would prefer it.

I have driven BMW cars since I got my learners permit at the age of 15. Currently I have a 1990 BMW 325i.

I also manage a magic store in a German themed town called Helen, it's in north GA.

Hints the term BlackMagic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 12:14 am
Noob

Nice 3 series. I used to have a '98 M3 sedan but it started to develop a bunch of electrical problems that I got tired of and traded it in.

As for starter bikes, if you want a BMW, maybe something like an F650, depending on your inseam length. It's a bit of a tall bike but can be lowered if you like. If not BMW, then maybe a Honda CB250 nighthawk or 599, Kawasaki EX250 or EX500 or Suzuki GS500, SV650, or DL650. Any of those can be found in relatively low mileage, good condition. As a first bike, I wouldn't buy new as you will drop it at some point.

I didn't note where you are located. Are you in an area where you could possibly buy a dual sport machine and learn off road? Some of the best training I found is learning how a bike handles when the front or rear end brakes loose. Believe it or not, gravel is going to be more forgiving than pavement any day of the week. Maybe a Kawasaki KLR650 or Suzuki DR650. Besides, dirt riding in a lot of fun!

Whatever bike you get, I would highly recommend a motorcycle Basic Riders Course and proper gear, helmet, gloves, boots and the like. BRC's can be found pretty much everywhere.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 4:47 am

Owned two 1 series', two 3 series', a 5er and a 7er. Trading in my 120i this weekend for a 135i coupe . I daresay the 1 series is the best of the bunch.

Anyway, my missus is short, almost 5" flat, and currently rides a CBR125R (size issues, plus its cheap as chips to run). Went to a local BMW bike dealership to see what bikes fit her (she does NOT want a sportster 883 low), and we were told surprisingly that the F650GS is taller than the F800ST. We went trawling through sites trying to find something really low; must have skipped it accidentally.

Anyway, although she couldn't swing a leg over either, she struggled far more with the 650.

She'll be going down there when a customers F800ST comes with with lowered seat and lowered linkages to see if she fits.

Meanwhile still waiting on the Ducati 696 to hit aussie shores to see if she fits on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 4:53 am

Er, to answer your question, get something used and friendly as a bike to learn on. Maybe a Honda VTR250 or a Ninja 250 if you prefer something sporty. That acts as a nice introduction to biking, won't break your heart when you'll inevitably drop it, and you won't kill yourself if you accidentally let the throttle open up.

There are enough stories of people buying R6's or gixxer 1k's and getting express tickets into hospital two weeks later.

Here in Australia you need to spend at least a year on a 250cc bike (soon changing to a 125kW/ton power restriction, depending on state) before you're allowed to legally ride something more powerful.

It's a sane law.

Remember, dress for the fall, not the ride. Gear up.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 6:38 am
Addict

Dude!!!!

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Next, get something reasonable like a Ninja 250. You can buy them brand new for 3k. Ride that for 2 months and then upgrade to something german with more power like an R1150R. Try to decide what sort of riding you want to do. Do you want to do touring? Fast stuff? BMW has the best selection of bikes for multipurposes in my opinion.

BTW, you live in the best place in the WORLD for motorcycling!!! Me and a friend travel to Suches once or twice per year and cut the roads up for a few days. I have met people there that could ride anywhere in world; have ridden everywhere in the world and they say your neck of the woods is the best.

Consider taking a motorcycle safety course too. I did and it taught me tons about the bike and awareness. Also, go to advrider.com and read the face plant forums. Lots of wisdom in that place.

AGain,

Welcome!

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 9:31 am
Veteran

Do the following:

1. Take the Basic Rider's Course (BRC) from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). You should have one in your local area. Best of all, they supply the motorcycles for you to learn on. In some states, taking this course will get you most of the way to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Here are course offerings in Georgia:
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=GA

or call 1-800-CCRIDER.

2. Go to your library or bookstore and get the book, "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. Read it. Don't let the technical stuff in the front section ("rake", "trail", blah blah blah) keep you from reading the whole book. There is a lot of very good stuff in there, and it may save your life someday. Proficient Motorcycling should be mandatory reading for all riders.

3. Start out by buying a used bike and ride it for a while. "A while" means a year or so. As recommended above, a 250 cc bike is ideal. Don't get anything larger than 600 cc (which is too much!) - your eyes will want more, but don't give in to temptation. While you are learning and internalizing the basic skills, you can be choosing your next bike. That next bike may be the BMW bike that you want. The first bike may not - don't sweat it.

In the meantime, we are here when you have questions. The people here are great, and are happy to help. You don't need to be riding a BMW to stick around.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Sweet guys! Thanks for all the information! I greatly appreciate it!!!!!

I have a friend that is willing to sell me his Buell Blast for around $2,000. It's practically new and has about 65 miles, not 65k, 65!!

He never got his permit/license so he never road it.

What do you all think?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:27 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Go for it! Good starter bike.

You will probalby be able to sell it for what you paid for it, if you move to a larger bike or decide motorcycles aren't for you.

Take a riders course, spend so time with the books, ride a bunch in parking lots after hours. Remember turning at speed is different from what it takes to turn in a parking lot.
It is different than your bicycle. Buy good gear, always wear a helmet, gloves, boots and at least heavy jeans and jacket for the parking lot. Real gear for the street.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/694565634.html
What do you guys think?
I wouldn't mind having it.
Quote:
1985 BMW K100RS SPORT TOURING BIKE 987CC 102+HP LESS THAN 39K MILES NEW BATTERY, FRESH COOLANT AND OIL CHANGE. ALL ORIGINAL WITH AFTERMARKET HI-PERF EXHAUST AND RECHARGEABLE REAR GAS MONOSHOCK. FRONT FORK STIFFENING BRACE, CENTERSTAND EQUIPPED. ORIGINAL LOCKING BMW HARD SHELL BAGS, PHOTOELECTRIC HEADLIGHT SENSOR, 12 VOLT CONNECTION FOR BMW HEATED VEST AND GLOVES. LCD GEAR INDICATOR, DIGITAL CLOCK, ANALOG SPEEDO AND TACH. WILL INCLUDE ONE FULL FACE AND ONE OPEN FACE HELMET. VERY GOOD OVERALL CONDITION, READY TO RIDE. HAVE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUAL, COMPLETE SERVICE RECORDS. CLEAR TITLE IN HAND. PLEASE EMAIL QUESTIONS. SERIOUS BUYERS MAY CALL 404-983-0392

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Addict

So, your buddy's bike was the first bike you've ever ridden, eh? You have very trusting friend there.

Not to poo poo on your parade, but I think a rookie throwing a leg over a 102hp bike as his first bike is asking for trouble. 102hp on a bike is NOTHING like 102hp in a car. So much can go so wrong so fast on bike.

Find you a nice 500cc used bike that you can dump a few times. Learn to use the power and handling before getting in over your head.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode