Protective clothing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 11:58 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Protective clothing

New to BMW, recently received a K1200GT which I like very much. Looking now at protective clothing and in particular at BMW's Bolder Jacket, Streetgard 2 jacket and pants and the Ralley 2 Pro Jacket and Pants. I am leaning towards either towards the streetgard 2 or the Rallye 2 because they are All year-round suits with Gore-Tex which in my view may eliminate the need of a rain suit.

I would like for those who have either of these suits to provide their experiences. Not sure I understand what the differences are between the suits.

I also like the BMW Boulder Jacket, however, it is not Gore-Tex.

Any comments from experiences on how good these products in terms of protection and comfort will be greatly appreciated.

Michel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Question How about Aerostich?

Have you considered Aerostich? Many of us in the community consider the Roadcrafter or Darien to be the best suits available.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddoncoach
Have you considered Aerostich? Many of us in the community consider the Roadcrafter or Darien to be the best suits available.
+1! And can be had fairly cheap on eBay.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 3:26 pm

When the money is right, these guys will get serious consideration. http://www.motoport.com/ Do look'em over.

At present I wear a Firstgear armored Pilot 1 leather jacket that 10" zips to armored escape pants.

MotoPort has been in the business a very long time.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Lieu

StreetGuard2

I have the SG2 but I haven't been able to ride a lot with it due to an injury that has kept me off of the bike so far this year. I love the fit and the look of it. I wore it on a shorter ride in the fall of last year with temps in the low 40's. I was quite comfortable. I hope to be going on a 10 day trip next month, so I should be a really good feel for it over that time. I was like you and really was looking for as close to a all-around suit as I could get. Every thing I have read indicates that the Streetguard is really good for everything but hot weather. If I find it too warm, I guess I will look at the Airflow3 or something similar.
Good luck with your choice.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 7:18 pm

I HIGHLY recommend the Rally 2. I had one suit before and ruined it in a low side by wearing a few holes in it. I gave careful consideration to everything on the market before buying again and got a Rally 2 Pro. This time I bought the top and bottom one size bigger than the previous suit.

The reason for the extra size was to make it easier to layer underneath in the winter...something that proved very valuable. I wore the suit on a ride thru Truckee and my temp gauge went down to 14 degrees F then stopped working. I never got cold.

In the summer I figured the extra room would let it vent better when opened up. That also worked out as I have ridden in 100+ degrees and wasn't that uncomfortable. Keep in mind there is also a pouch for a camel pack in the back.

This suit does it all. Great pads, gortex lining, great venting...I'm a BIG believer in this particular suit - all year round.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 12:20 pm
Veteran

I was looking at the Street Guard 2 but my dealer said it wasn't suited above 80 degrees so they only carry it during the winter months. They suggested the Santiago for my more temperate riding (up to 100 degrees).

The BMW suits are very well sewn in some Eastern Europe country. I have a Gerber Cascades Extreme which also is waterproof and has the heated lining. Since their stuff is now made in China, the stitching is very poor and some Velcro comes off rather than remaining stitched in. Sad really. The suit is too hot above 80 degrees - more like a sauna - due to the coated fabric. Very bulky too, compared to the BMW line which fits better and compresses further.

I was surprised that the Santiago pants had 2 less armor pads in them than their Airflow pants. I learned this since I just washed both pair of pants and removed the armor. The Santiago jacket has one of the longest air-vent zippers I've ever seen on the arm.

I don't know if there is a real "Four Seasons" suit that will accommodate everything from 20 degrees to 120 degrees without a lot of options.

Just passing it along.

Mack
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Before buying the Streetguard 2, I'd strongly suggest you take a look at the ComfortShell suit, also from BMW.

I bought the SG2, and while it is very well made, comfortable and appears it would provide great protection, I found it to be quite warm in temps above 80. I then bought the ComfortShell and have been very happy. In colder temps, it does everything the SG2 does; just add some Gerbings heat underneath and all is well. In warmer temps, the CS is much more comfortable for me. The "adaptive" material really opens up and provides much more cooling than the SG2. Plus, the CS uses the new technology BMW armor.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 5:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc916
Before buying the Streetguard 2, I'd strongly suggest you take a look at the ComfortShell suit, also from BMW.

I bought the SG2, and while it is very well made, comfortable and appears it would provide great protection, I found it to be quite warm in temps above 80. I then bought the ComfortShell and have been very happy. In colder temps, it does everything the SG2 does; just add some Gerbings heat underneath and all is well. In warmer temps, the CS is much more comfortable for me. The "adaptive" material really opens up and provides much more cooling than the SG2. Plus, the CS uses the new technology BMW armor.
Did you buy one size up to add for a liner? Same for pants?

I'd like a "One Suit Does it All" as I have the heated liners for the cold. The Santiago is a bit warm, but is vented nicely. The new ComfortShell has the new fabric whose pores change with heat. Seems a nifty idea if it works.

The sealed fabric of the SG2 is too intolerable for me since I live in the sweathole San Joaquin Valley of CA where it can get up to 115 F - and worse on the asphalt. Ugh!

Seems I spend a day debating on what to wear: Motoport (way too bulky), Airflow mesh, Santiago, and Gerbing Cascade Extreme. Hate to think what all this stuff costs.

I have the heated liners for the cold, and the cooler with the ice-cold phase-change stuff in a vest for the 90+ days (but it only lasts about 2 hours so I carry some refills in the cooler).

Mack
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2008, 5:40 pm
Rookie

I have a Rally 2 which I use on both my 1150GS and K1200GT. Expensive piece of kit but very well made and versatile.

In Spain I removed the Gortex liners and opened all the zips and was as cool as if I was riding in jeans and light jacket , but I still have the advantage of armour on all the joints and back. In the UK summer I always keep the Gortex liner in (for obvious reasons).

The only downsides are:-

1 It's not the warmest kit in the winter although a good fleece/thermals underneath sort this out.

2 I have the grey and black version which soon gets very grubby. Easy to wash though.

3 You look like a walking BMW advert!

Mike

It's not where you go that counts, it's how you get there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode