BMW or NOT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:01 am Thread Starter

BMW or NOT

It seems BMW is pricing themselfs out of sales, I`m in the market for another bike , but the new GT around 20k NO WAY. Yahama looks good. Price is what BMW should be. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:41 am

My .02

Steve,

I paid about $17,500 for my K1200RS in 1999.

It now has about 72,000 miles with only one repair (recent rear main seal leak).

I figure if I ride it another 5 years and then drive it into a canal or just give it away, it has cost me $1,750/yr for basic ownership/depreciation (exclusive of gas/tires/routine maint - which you'd have on any bike).

Hopefully I'll get SOMETHING for it down the road, so that should result in even less overall cost.

Yamaha makes fine bikes, and I've owned a few (below). The Yamaha would make a great sport-tourer - assuming the heat issue has been addressed.

OTOH, Yamahas seem to wear a bit more cosmetically, esp. if left out in the elements. Rusting fasteners, eroded clearcoat, etc. BMWs generally wear very well in this regard.

In short, if you plan on keeping a bike for the long haul, it can be worthwhile to spend a little more. If you turn them over every few years, probably not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha 80 .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	728   Click image for larger version

Name:	196? DT1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	729   Click image for larger version

Name:	XT500 (in the mud).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	730   Click image for larger version

Name:	198? XV920R w:Laura.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	731   Click image for larger version

Name:	RZsunset(s).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	732  

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:51 am
Enthusiast

Prices are going up however options and technical aspects are getting more and better.I switched from harley about four years ago so maybe sticker shock isn't so shocking to me.I do know that for the same price of a harley you get a lot more motorcycle with the BMW.My service cost and time in the shop has greatly reduced. The Japanese bikes are fine motorcycles I'm sure but they ain't no BMW.I will pay the price and ride the BMW's.In my opinion there is no better motorcycle that does so many things so well.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:54 am Thread Starter

fasteddieb, my problem is , I don`t keep them long, I`ve had 3 BMW`s since 02, I`ve had an 02 k1200rs an 02 r1150rt and an 04 r1150rt., I currently have an 04 st4s Ducati, all great bikes but I like to change them, I haven`t found that one keeper yet and I may never. It just seems like too much money.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:32 pm
Addict

Essentially, I agree. True with many of their car models as well. The dollar vs. euro is part of the situation, but mostly, BMW's strategic target market is the deep pocketed customer who "aspires" to have a cutting edge and innovative bike, different from the Asian mainstream... and are willing to pay for it. The pricing reflects this. Means less volume for BMW, but higher margins. Asia on the other hand is willing to have more volume at lower margins (this is my assumption). This latter strategy does lower handling and inventory costs. BMW (wisely imo) chooses not to be in this game.

FWIW, BMW is bringing out a new line (800cc's) to offer some appeal to middle tier buyers.

If the MSRP is shocking, and one really wants a bike from Munich, the way to buy a BMW is in the previously owned market. Let someone else eat the steep depreciation, and one gets an outstanding and long lasting bike.

Last edited by sfarson; Nov 22nd, 2005 at 1:00 pm.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:57 pm
"Hey Y'all"

33 shopping days left ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
It seems BMW is pricing themselfs out of sales, I`m in the market for another bike , but the new GT around 20k NO WAY. Yahama looks good. Price is what BMW should be. What do you think?
The new S is 550+ pounds, no tail rack, and tiny 25 liter bags expanded. And about 20,000 USD. The new GT is just too big (as is the new RT). However, this is under 15,000 USD, two full size bags, and under 510 pounds. The diff in dollars pays for the maintenance. We like the S, but I'm glad we're not shopping right now. This would be real, real tempting.

Our RS has several years left in her, so Santa can wait.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:59 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
...the way to buy a BMW is in the previously owned market.
You can get some smoking deals on a used BMW bike, and if I were to do it all over again, I would have bought a used bike with aftermarket goodies already attached. Doesn't help anyone who must have "new" though.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:11 pm

Quote:
...my problem is...
Not a problem unless you view it as such.

Just curious - what were you buy/sell prices of each of your BMW's?

You might be wise to wait until you find a "keeper" - if you can't, then cheaper is obviously better.

I do tend to keep bikes for a long time - but I compensate by having a bunch of bikes!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:21 pm

Wink 2001 in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd
You can get some smoking deals on a used BMW bike, and if I were to do it all over again, I would have bought a used bike with aftermarket goodies already attached. Doesn't help anyone who must have "new" though.
It would love to have a New Home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT fender3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	736  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 5:45 pm
Enthusiast

personally an ST3S does nothing for me, way way weak in the power dept, 107 HP and 72 TQ at the crank no less. While it may be a fine bike it is not in a BMW KS or KGT class, more like a R12ST 110 hp/85tq class of bike.
When you look closer to apples to apples the ST3S isnt any cheaper as the R12ST list at 14,9.
Now to maintain one for the long haul a Ducati will cost more than a Beemer.

I dont know why (other than sales numbers) Ducati did away with the ST4S instead of updating it with the engine out of a 999S and adding in some of the 999's adjustablity in the ergonomics dept.
That would have been a sharp Sports Tourer!!

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode