nicked rim lips after tire change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

nicked rim lips after tire change?

How common or reasonable is it to have a paint scuf or chip aroung lip of rim after tire changes? I have a small one after my last tire change. Nothing I can do about it, I was just wondering if there was a different or better way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 8:16 pm
Veteran

Not that uncommon.

Think of it as a really soft aluminum in which some wheel repairman can get it back into round should you ever hit that BIG pothole - unlike an expensive carbon fiber wheel.

Mine's got all sorts of nicks in it. I do my own changes so it gets a bit nicked at times when the irons and I don't get along. No matter how much I try to protect the rim, stuff happens. Some filler and a little paint and you're good to go.

Of course, when the dealer does it, they'll say, "It was like that when you brought it in."

It's one of those "You need to get over it things...."

Mack
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:02 pm
JCW
contributor

Do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:00 am
Veteran

i managed to nick up both of my rims. prior to tire changes and now with the tire changes. there are some plastic thingamabobs that slip of the lip to protect it. don't know how effective they are, but i believe that they are inexpensive.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:00 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies.
I was just wanting to make sure that with reasonable care that it can still happen. If you guys came back and responded that it was a once in a blue moon happening or never occurs I would take my tire changes somewhere else. I really like my BMW dealer and they have provided me with wonderful service.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:33 am
Addict

I had my rims powder coated. After going to the trouble of removing the tire covers and front wheel bearings there was no way I was going to trust my pristine rims to a cowboy fitter so I did some research.

I did this after I tried to get one of my tires re-mounted, I'd always used the same shop and at the time they couldn't do it so I went somewhere else. The second shop showed me the tire bead and said the first shop had trashed my tire removing it and refused on safety grounds to re-mount it.

So I started learning some things about the kit that UK tire changers use. Small shops tend to have simple machines, some designed for removing car tires which are totally unsuited to motorcycle ali rims. Unfortunately these shops are often cheapest. Then there's the slightly better models designed for motorcycle rims, but they should keep a stock of 'Rim guards'. These are plastic use once covers that protect the rim, often they run out of stock or don't keep them because they can make more profut per tire change without. Then there's the tool that breaks the tire bead - the chisel thingys that slip between the rim anf the tire wall. These should have plastic push on covers which again they should stock. The way they work can be different too. The worst type have a single chisel and the wheel is pulled around. The best motorcycle models have 4 chisels fitted with plastic protectors which are pulled down without the wheel rim rotating. The machine itself if designed for motorcycle wheels will have far less force and more controllable effort from the hydraulics or compressed air.

What did I conclude?

1.You are more likely to get damaged rims and think that's normal when it isn't.
2. If a shop has the latest tire change machine designed specifically for motorcycles and the rim protectors, you are in with a chance.
3. Main dealers whilst more expensive on their labor rate, are more likely to have invested in the correct equipment.
4. Cheapest price often means old unsuitable equipment.
5. If they have the right kit and the changer is a biker, you might get a better result.
6. Clean and polish your rims before taking them in. That way you spot the damage more easily, or they may take more pride in avoiding damage.
7. Ask to see their machine and let them tell you how they avoid rim damage, before leaving your wheels.

DON'T be complacent, ask questions first, Caveat emptor!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 8:27 am
JCW
contributor

I'm getting my magnesium rims and am going to go to a couple different places to check out the tire changers.

I WOULD get the NOMAR changer but I'm completely taped out right now.

I figure I'll start at the Ducati dealer and work my way down...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:32 am

Ditto on No-mar

Rim nicks are always a possibility. I've had pretty good luck with BMW dealers not nicking the rims, but do have a couple spots attributed to them. I've changed my own via a group of riding buddies who have all pitched in on tire mounting equipment. The metal irons were the worst culprit for nicking the rims and maybe the bead breaker too. I bought the No-Mar Mount/Demount Bar and had good success with it. The only problem was the tip wanted to keep twisting so it was a little difficult to use, but didn't ding up anything. The rim contact parts are made of UHM polyethylene which is great for this application. Next on the purchase list is to get their spoon bars with plastic tips. I think those should eliminate any chance of nicks.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 4:19 am
Veteran

+1 on the metal tire irons. they are the easiest to dent the rims with if you don't protect them.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I'm getting my magnesium rims and am going to go to a couple different places to check out the tire changers.

I WOULD get the NOMAR changer but I'm completely taped out right now.

I figure I'll start at the Ducati dealer and work my way down...
I did this and have done enough changes to pay for the unit. Now I'm doing changes for friends as well. I highly recommend the NOMAR if you are going to do enough changes. With two bikes and running softer rubber I knew it would only be a matter of time before it paid for itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode