Hello from across the big pond - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello from across the big pond

Well after seven months of planning we are finally here in the UK Been here two weeks on Monday, right now we are traveling southern England visiting my wife's relatives while our household goods get here and most importantly our bikes We have settled in a small village outside Bedford, and soon as we get settled we'll be looking forward to linking up with fellow riders from the area.

More later
Alex

"If I can't smoke cigars in heaven then I won't go"
"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
"No one said it would be a rose garden"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Arrow

Hello Alex;

Enjoy your stay in the UK, great roads i'm sure.......Here is a British bike Forum, kinda different...http://billsbikechat.freeforums.org

Good Luck;

Dave from Canada.......

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!

Last edited by Razel; Jul 6th, 2008 at 9:45 pm. Reason: Fixed Link
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 6:30 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer
Hello Alex;

Enjoy your stay in the UK, great roads i'm sure.......Here is a British bike Forum, kinda different...http://billsbikechat.freeforums.org/index.php

Good Luck;

Dave from Canada.......
Lousy roads, masses of congestion, to many cagers on cells, ATGATT a must, millions of speed cameras - before he gets on his bikes he needs to go out and buy a Garmin GPS with UK camera database in it!

Unless he's going to claim some sort of foreign immunity

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Lousy roads, masses of congestion, to many cagers on cells, ATGATT a must, millions of speed cameras - before he gets on his bikes he needs to go out and buy a Garmin GPS with UK camera database in it!

You obviously don't live in the North of the Country -
The roads of Cumbria , Northumberland , and North Yorkshire provide some of the best bikeing routes around.
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 3:13 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

We did bring a Tom Tom (car type & need to look into a bike type) from the US and always believe on ATGATT. Mind though, I can say about the same for the Seattle and Portland ares... bad roads here, & there, congestion and too many cagers on cells even with the hands free laws

"If I can't smoke cigars in heaven then I won't go"
"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
"No one said it would be a rose garden"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:11 am
Addict

There are parts of England where the roads are quiet and the scenery very pretty, unfortunately they don't coincide with where the best paying jobs or career prospects are. Same with any country I guess.

Watch the M1 around Luton and Bedford. City commuters hopping on an off at the turns have the speed mentality, but not always get tuned up in time to keep distances and stop.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:19 am

Arrow URL screwed up

Quote:
Hello Alex;

..Here is a British bike Forum, kinda different...http://billsbikechat.freeforums.org

Dave from Canada.......
Just realized this Bike Chat link wouldn't open up for me when clicked here...
I can get it thru my "bookmarks" So if you wish to visit just search Bill's Bike Chat on Google UK....

regards;

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS

Last edited by Razel; Jul 6th, 2008 at 9:47 pm. Reason: Fixed link in quote
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Just realized this Bike Chat link wouldn't open up for me when clicked here...
I can get it thru my "bookmarks" So if you wish to visit just search Bill's Bike Chat on Google UK....

regards;
[font="comic sans ms]Fixed![/font]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:57 am

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
[font="comic sans ms]Fixed![/font]
Thanks........

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:51 pm

Hi there and welcome to the mighty U of K, LOL! Where you are in Bedfordshire are loads of great "B" roads and if you pop into Northamptonshire we have some excellent ones too. A lot of the bike magazines test in Northamptonshire/Leicestershire/Cambridgeshire because there are some wonderful roads around here. You'll be really happy in Beds though, but be careful on our "B" roads. Country pubs are a great draw for everyone in the summer so you should watch out for drunken drivers on narrow roads with no markings. If you wear earplugs you won't be able to hear them coming so try to stay close to the verge when going round corners since many will attempt to use all the road.

If you want some good roads and a nice run out, go to Rutland Water near Oakham in Rutland. You need to go via Corby, out through Rockingham, to Uppingham and onto Oakham. The road between Corby and Uppingham is awesome, like a switchback with a good surface and beautiful scenery. You'll pass the Eyebrook Reservoir where the Dambusters' Bouncing Bomb was tested before devastating the Ruhr Dams in WWII. Also, the road out from Uppingham to Oakham is nice and fast with great sweepers and fast straights. When you get to Rutland Water you can relax next to Europe's largest man-made lake.

Historically, Northamptonshire has formed much of the history of England and you can combine some great rides with them. I suggest travelling to Rushton Triangular Lodge, in Rushton about 4 miles from Corby. Lyveden Byfield out towards Lowick off the A14 near Thrapston. Rushton and Lyvden Byfield are famous for being constructed by Sir Thomas Tresham who was one of the chief conspirators of the 1605 Gunpowder Plot. Sir Thomas Tresham built monuments that had hidden meanings that bore witness to his (illegal) Catholic faith. The Triangular Lodge has 3 sides, 3 doors, 3 windows and basically 3 of everything because it represents the Holy Trinity. Lyvden Byfield has a frieze along the top depicting the stations of the cross (the crucifixion and torture of Jesus). The real beauty are the roads and countryside. Also at Rushton is a great pub called the Rushton Arms which serves great food and is about 1/2 mile from the Lodge. Similarly, near Lyveden Byfield is the Snooty Fox at Lowick which does absolutely superb food.

For information, the Battle of Bosworth Field was fought in this area and it put Henry VII on the throne after the defeat and death of Richard III, ending the Plantagenet reign and starting the Tudor one. The decisive battle of the English Civil War was fought at Naseby, again in this area, where Oliver Cromwell took England into a Republic by defeating Charles I and the Royalists. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned and executed at Fotheringay Castle and although that was destroyed in the Civil War, the Church is still there. The Falcon Pub is worth a visit there.

Rockingham Castle was where Charles Dickens wrote Bleak House (and is actually Bleak House) but it's famous for being a haunt of Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Going out towards Huntingdon is the River Ouse where you can rent a nice boat for a reasonable amount. Huntingdon is famous because Robin Hood was the Earl of Huntingdon.

In fact, where you are based gives you access to some great places, and some great roads. If you want any more advice or even fancy a ride out with a historica tour let me know! Have fun and remember to drive on the correct side!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode