National Speed Limit, NOT AGAIN!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

National Speed Limit, NOT AGAIN!!

We all need to get ahead of this and contact your senator to stop the national speed limit.

This jackass Sen. John Warner from Virginia wanst to make a national 55 MPH speed limit.

I am sending this to all senators;

I wish to extend my strongest objection to your ridiculous suggestion to lower the speed limit to a nation 55 MPH.

With the price of gas rising, there is increased murmuring about legislating a lower speed limit in order to conserve fuel. I remarked to family this weekend that that seems to be an odd thing to attempt to legislate. Here’s why:
In 1974, the federal government legislated a national speed limit of 55 miles per hour in response to the fuel crisis of 1973. The rationale at the time was that fuel prices were high, oil was running out, and our only option was to start conserving what was left. After the fuel crisis passed, the federal speed limit was kept in place because of safety reasons: in the first few months of the federally mandated speed limit, traffic deaths actually dropped. There are two problems with this public policy: the first is economic and the second is ability to deliver on promised results.
The first problem with the federally limited speed is that it is not an economically sound policy. For example, while it was true that fuel prices were high and it was true that oil was running out, it was not true that oil was running out soon. Fossil fuels are, and should be treated as, finite resources. That said, there is so much oil available, that we Earthlings will not use up our supply for decades, if not centuries. A more economically sound way of expressing the problem is that there’s only so much oil available at a certain price. If oil costs $20/barrel, there will be less supply than if oil costs $200/barrel, because a the cheaper price restricts the amount of cost that can go into retrieving the oil. If oil were to reach $200/barrel, it would become feasible to extract oil from places that are not financially feasible to extract from at $20/barrel. Therefore, legislating a lower speed limit for the purposes of conserving a resource for which plenty of supply exists is bad public policy. In fact, it turned out that the conservation initiative only resulted in saving about 1% of the oil that otherwise would have been consumed. (Source: http://www.heritage.org/Research/SmartGrowth/bg532.cfm)
The second problem with the federal speed limit is that its supposed benefits did not stand the test of time. The drop in traffic deaths that was reported in the year following the mandated lower speed had actually vanished by 1978 and was really no more than a short term anomaly. (Source: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=1205) Consider also that when the federal mandate was removed in 1995, the number of traffic deaths per mile travelled began to decline - as of 2006, the most recent year for which I can find data, the NHTSA reports that the number of traffic fatalities per vehicle mile travelled has decreased by 18.5% over their level in 1994, the year before the federally-mandated speed was lifted. (Source: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx)
An interesting question that arises is “How many more deaths could be prevented if we raised speed limits even higher?” In fact, what if we took the extreme position of having no speed limits altogether? It turns out that we actually have data that proves that removing the speed limit altogether actually reduces traffic deaths. When the federal speed limit was lifted in 1995, the state of Montana had effectively no speed limit, a regulation that was ultimately struck down for its “vagueness”. Nevertheless, before it was struck down, Montana saw its traffic fatalities fall to record low levels. When the statute was struck down and Montana reinstated numerical speed limits, the fatality rate immediately began to climb. Similar data exists for the comparison between the German autobahn, where there is no speed limit, and American interstate highways, where there is. (Source: http://www.motorists.org/pressreleas...afety-paradox/)
Legislating lower speed limits as a method of conserving fuel is public policy that endangers the public while not meaningfully reducing fuel consumption. In order to reduce traffic fatalities, neither the federal government nor state and local governments should impose a maximum limit on highway speeds.

I can not imagine living through the hell again that we had to endure from 1974 to 1995 because of you foolish politicians making this unpopular law. You people in Washington have no idea what life is like for Americans.

If you really want to reduce fuel consumption stop flying in Private jets.

NO 55 MPH

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All these Senators have a Web site with thier E Mail listed. Contact them now.
We must stop this national speed limit law.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:35 am

Arrow National 55 mph

Not being one to often comment on my neighbors political policy's, i can't help myself on this one..

I remember motorcycle touring extensively in the USA during the 55 mph policy, it was hell and i agree with bazra, the benefits were doubtfull.

I'm sure the resources required of various State's Police to enforce this law could be better used elsewhere....

I also agree that politicians in both of our countries have absolutely no idea of how the average joe lives.

We do have a law in Canada where Senators have to retire at age 75 before they completely loose their minds

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:24 am

"Sen. John Warner from Virginia "

Why am I not surprised. That state is a little messed up when it comes to their legislature, that's one of the reasons we chose not to move there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:58 am
Statmaster

The idea of a national speed limit is stupid. Limits that might make sense in the congested parts of the country make no sense in the wide expanses of the west. Maybe a voluntary request to the states to lower speed limits by 5-10 mph, but not a national mandate, and NOT 55.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:52 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
The idea of a national speed limit is stupid. Limits that might make sense in the congested parts of the country make no sense in the wide expanses of the west. .
They don't nake any more sense in the "congested" parts of the countrey either.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
"Sen. John Warner from Virginia "

Why am I not surprised. That state is a little messed up when it comes to their legislature, that's one of the reasons we chose not to move there.
There is much more than that messed up with VA. High taxes, high property taxes (if you have XM radio you are even taxed another $.60/mo... luckily the radio knows not what state it is in), high rate of fines, etc... and the WORST drivers in the world (to qualify, I have driven in most every state, lived in several as well as Italy, Germany, Albania, Slovenia, South Korea, and many others, still have not found a place that can give Virginia a run for it's money in bad drivers!).

The speed limit is ridiculous, based on old "science" which was proven wrong when it was reversed in 95, had no safety benefits, and was really nothing more than a money grab. If they want to effect some fuel savings, the state can adjust signal lights to not cycle with time and instead keep green... I can not tell you how many lights I have had to stop at as they changed while I was approaching when there was not a car in sight... they use this to slow people but you still burn gas while sitting there.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:00 pm

Angry I can't drive fifty five

If Sen. Warner or anyone else wants to drive 55 to conserve fuel they don't need to make a law, just slow down. But ***Stay out of the fooking left lane*** please.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:02 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
We all need to get ahead of this and contact your senator to stop the national speed limit.
Agreed. An additional $5/gal fuel tax (to be spent on public transit, like a real passenger rail system) would do a hell of a lot more to conserve fuel.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
But ***Stay out of the fooking left lane*** please.
Fookin' A, Bubba! +1

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Fookin' A, Bubba! +1
Does this mean there are two of us here in the Austin Powers fan club. Yeah Baby!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode