Twist of the Wrist II - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Twist of the Wrist II

I just got thru reading Keith Codeís, Twist of the Wrist II.

The best tip for the average rider that I found was whatís called The Big Picture. Pick a point on the wall and stare it. Without moving your head, or eyes, stare at another point to the left, then the right. Pick points farther out and practice.

This tip really helps your peripheral vision and is supposed to relieve fatigue from moving your head and eyeís.

I found that when entering curves I was completing the curve with no problem, but didnít seem to have any push left if an emergency situation came up. I posted this question on this board and was given the following tip:

Weigh the OUTER peg. It forms a triangle with the body that needs to stay purdy much in the center of the bike (donít hang off). This triangle transfers the weight to the counter steering arm. It seems I was leaning off the bike too far and leaving no weight on the counter steering arm.. I developed this bad habit with the LT as I donít like dragging parts. Leaning off of the LT gave me more ground clearance. Not only is dragging counter productive, but it slows you down and it freaked me out. You wouldnít believe how hard it is to change a 6 year old, 108,000 mile habit. Not to mention developing new muscles, mainly in the thigh. This tip intrigued me enough to buy the book.

Throttle control was very important in this book, the constant roll on thru the corner was emphasized many times as was steering only once. Pick your spot to apex, quickly steer into it and be done. Posture was covered and overcoming your Survival Responses was hammered throughout the book.

A bunch of this book applied to the race track, but there was plenty in there for all to improve there riding skills. You never know when nailing a corner harder than you need to might save your life. Maximum braking, suspension and weight transfer was also covered.

Though this book is 15 years old it's still relevant and I heartily recommend this book for anybody wanting to improve their riding skills, or for those that are just curious how racers do it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 4:38 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
+1 for the book. I read it years ago when I was just starting to ride. You've made me want to go reread it. Oh cool there's an ebook torrent for it, I'll take it with me on my cross country ride! [It's not stealing if you already own the book, right? ]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:21 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Oh cool there's an ebook torrent for it, I'll take it with me on my cross country ride! [It's not stealing if you already own the book, right? ]
Bob,

I download torrent files all the time that run the gamut from a particular Rush or Eric Clapton concert to all five seasons of The Wire on HBO. I wouldn't feel badly about that at all. Plus, as you say you own the book. Dumb question - will the e-book be able to impart as much information as the written edition? I'm assuming Code has included drawings and diagrams, no?

Speaking of the book, another great post Grif. I'm just about finished with David Hough's second effort, More Proficient Motorcycling and I wanted to get going on another. Believe I'll place an order at Amazon for Twist of The Wrist I and II.

I'm on my third month of riding versus your years of experience. Need all the help I can get to establish good habits.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Them dayem habits are hard to break. Not to mention trying to put together all I learned in the book. I just wish I really rode in my younger days. Started with a Honda Trail 70 when I was 13, put around 28,000 miles on it (lived in the country), Honda SL175 at 15, SL 350 at 17, Triumph TR6C at 20 and then I really fucked up. Harley from 22 to 44. That's what I meant by really riding. I preferred the FXR style as they had more ground clearance and rode everywhere, all over the states, but didn't know what riding was really like till I got a BMW in 2000. You done good!

Excuse me while I go and polish some chrome. NOT!

-=grif=-
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:23 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Dumb question - will the e-book be able to impart as much information as the written edition? I'm assuming Code has included drawings and diagrams, no?
First a plug: I've got the Sony PRS-505 ebook reader, which can handle greyscale diagrams and pictures just fine. It's actually a pretty fantastic device for this sort of thing. It's a perfect fit for the glove box on the GT, it'll hold dozens of books, and the batteries are good for a couple of weeks. If I'm riding alone I'll read at meal breaks and to fall asleep at night. Mine is full of SF books, many of which I've read before. There's lots of good (legal) stuff out there, e.g. feedbooks.com, and it's pretty easy to set it up to convert stuff from the internet to an ebook, so you can make a daily customized newspaper without much effort.

That said, the torrent of TotW2 I found is VERY poor quality and will look like crap on my ebook reader. It's a PDF of scanned in pages from the book itself, with poor registration, angled text, and bad contrast. It's not worth the time to download IMHO, though it does include the diagrams.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Addict

Oh Ya, Go faster have more FUN.

Great stuff in that book, then when you have it all down tight and you are cutting the apex at the right spot and coming on with more throttle 3/4 way in the turn, the right way, CHANGE IT!!

Practice changing your line in the middle of the turn, or braking, just like there was something in the road. So when there is something laying in the road you will be able to correct and get around it.

Now if I can just figure how to practice my getting off the bike and sliding with-out leaving marks on the bike.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:27 am
Veteran

corners

Damn you guys ride different over there. I have enough trouble not dropping my beer let alone reading a damn book whilst scraping.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:50 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

The best tip for the average rider that I found was whatís called The Big Picture. Pick a point on the wall and stare it. Without moving your head, or eyes, stare at another point to the left, then the right. Pick points farther out and practice.

A bunch of this book applied to the race track, but there was plenty in there for all to improve there riding skills. You never know when nailing a corner harder than you need to might save your life. Maximum braking, suspension and weight transfer was also covered.

Though this book is 15 years old it's still relevant and I heartily recommend this book for anybody wanting to improve their riding skills, or for those that are just curious how racers do it.
Thanks Grif. Good advice. The peripheral vision exercise is a good one. When street riding, sometimes it is hard to look into the turn, when you need to focus on potential road surface hazards and vehicles that might invade your space at the same time.

I just finished reading the original "Twist of the Wrist" (not II). I learned a lot about motorcycle racing techniques which were very interesting, but I didn't find much that I could apply to the street riding situations that I encounter. Have you read the original Twist of the Wrist? If so, what is the difference between it and the version you just read?

You might enjoy "Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track" by Nick Ienatsch. This book came highly recommended by others on this forum, and I found it to be very good, too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:38 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Damn you guys ride different over there. I have enough trouble not dropping my beer let alone reading a damn book whilst scraping.
I can't seem to keep my joint lit and my lines keep blowing off the tank. Sigh. Substance abuse is just so hard to practice on a bike.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:41 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I Have you read the original Twist of the Wrist? If so, what is the difference between it and the version you just read?
No, I haven't. In keeping with my total asshole and sarcastic personality- The difference twixt the books is the II

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
You might enjoy "Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track" by Nick Ienatsch. This book came highly recommended by others on this forum, and I found it to be very good, too.
I keep hearing that, but have to read some trash first, you know, the mystery, killing thangs. To much informational and educational stuff just clouds an already cluttered brainpan.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode