may be giving up the GT... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:53 am Thread Starter

may be giving up the GT...

Well folks, after demoing a 08 GS adventure, and riding 300 miles on my old mans GS, I think I'm going to put the GT up for sale. The upright ride and no fire breathing down my legs may be a nice change. Plus, where I live in South Dakota, a dual sport would triple my riding area. I'm really hoping to get into a brand new adventure with ESA, that was SWEET! no more fiddling with dials and knobs and counting how many clicks of preload. Now my only issue is finding a buyer for my 03 GT.

What are your opinions?

Josh

Last edited by sportfaller; Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:01 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:11 am
Will ride for picts

Get both. I live in Nevada and have been considering adding a dual-sport to the GT for the same reasons you have: it considerably adds to the number of available roads.

I'm curious about your fire breathing legs statement ... the only time I've ever noticed heat on my '03 GT is if I wear shorts, which I shouldn't be doing anyways.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:26 pm
Noob

I started out on a 04GS. Wife (who rode pillion) loved it but said she thought it was too tall for her taste. She fell in love with the GT and lo' we added that to the stable as well. Then I thought I would downsize from the 04 GS, so I sold it. Immediately had regrets and couldn't get my hands on the 800GS I lusted after. After waiting for all these months and being told "we don't know for certain when it'll arrive in the states", I'm back on an 08 GS. I ride the GS solo and it's set up that way. For touring with the wife - it's the GT. Different bikes for different functions. I love having alternatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

my GT puts out an immense amount of heat on my legs. so much so that it is almost unbearable to ride in the summer. It fills my mesh pants and fries my legs. I can get cool air by moving my legs back and upward, but one can only ride like that for a little while.

Unfortunately I cant afford two bikes...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:11 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfaller
my GT puts out an immense amount of heat on my legs. so much so that it is almost unbearable to ride in the summer. It fills my mesh pants and fries my legs. I can get cool air by moving my legs back and upward, but one can only ride like that for a little while.

Unfortunately I cant afford two bikes...
I think you're the second or third person who's complained about that. I ride in our South Tejas summers with shorts on under my mesh and I regularly see over 100 degrees. I'm wondering if your foam pieces are still in place behind the bodywork?

I'd love to take your bike apart and look at it. Come on over.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:26 am
Addict

Quote:
Well folks, after demoing a 08 GS adventure, and riding 300 miles on my old mans GS, I think I'm going to put the GT up for sale. The upright ride and no fire breathing down my legs may be a nice change. Plus, where I live in South Dakota, a dual sport would triple my riding area. I'm really hoping to get into a brand new adventure with ESA, that was SWEET! no more fiddling with dials and knobs and counting how many clicks of preload. Now my only issue is finding a buyer for my 03 GT.

What are your opinions?

Josh
be wary of the ESA because of the cost of replacement, 3K for front & rear not including labor. i purchased my 2006 KS with ESA and it was fun to play with it for about a month but with my style of riding i seldom to never change the setting. something to think about and consider when you go to buy your GS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:30 am Thread Starter

what foam pieces?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:19 am
Strafist

Quote:
what foam pieces?
They are black and towards the bottom of the large fairings. They can also be knocked off and if someone is careless, get left behind.l

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:29 am
Veteran

Did the '03 GT's have the same foam design as the 06's?

I'm one who's complained about heat but I don't think that older models were flowing air the same way. I can say though that my foam is in place and in high temps my right leg gets fried from about mid calf down. Mesh pants and shorts, good boots. A lot O'fricken heat!

BTW, next bike will be a 1200 GS Adv. But I'm keeping the GT!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

are you folks referring to the external black foam rubber fairing extensions or are there internal foam pieces?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode