proof that even a BMW can get you in trouble .... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

proof that even a BMW can get you in trouble ....

so much for thinking that only gixxers and r's are trouble - even a RT can get you killed easily.....

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=257368

enjoy and learn. cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:51 pm
Enthusiast

I ride that road a lot and it is awesome! Looks to me like he just didn't lean enough, but glad he saved it.

Some of the other vids of that guys ride are pretty good. I was once riding that road, came around a corner aand upon a cow standing accross my lane. That was the only time the ABS has kicked-in. Managed to stop about 1 foot away from the cow, who was just standing there staring at me.

Ed

Last edited by K12R; Jul 22nd, 2008 at 9:07 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 4:15 am
Veteran

yes cows. i've seen em almost hit em. that road is awesome, not riding like that of course. that always sucks.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:23 am
Enthusiast

This is definately a fine example of "your bike tends to go where your eyes are fixated". I love the videos of bikes in motion from the perspective of another bike but it sure is dangerous...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:26 am
Will ride for picts

Icehouse road rocks. Target fixation sucks.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 4:36 pm

What awesome scenery you live in and around!!! I think if I lived there I'd be off the edge through enjoying the scenery! I have had almost similar experiences on my K1200S. Well, in truth, I have never ended up on the other side of the road so much.

However, I now have a method for making sure it doesn't happen again. Firstly, I do something that magazines' advice columns never seem to tell you and secondly, I do something they always tell you to do. The first thing I do is, when cornering hard, is I try to touch my chest on the tank on the side of the direction I am heading in. i.e. if cornering left, I put my left nipple (!!!) on the left of the tank (and obviously, right nipple, right side of tank, for right hand corner). What this does is gets you to lead into the corner with your shoulder, which is what the bike magazines tell you to do. The only thing is, that pointing your shoulder into a corner isn't a natural thing to do. So when you are going fast, crouching behind the screen or lowering your body is natural. By putting your chest on the tank, you'll find that your weight goes over the front wheel and it points your shoulder in.

The second thing I always do, is ALWAYS countersteer. You know, push upwards on the inside bar, i.e. when cornering left you push the left hand bar towards the right, and vice versa for right hand corners. This gets you round any corner a lot tighter. I do it all the time so it's natural to me. Most people only do it when they're going fast, but I do it so if and when the heart stopping moment occurs, I can correct it.

The advantage of riding a K1200S or it's derivatives is the adjustability of cornering due to the duolever front end. Closing the throttle tightens the line when countersteering rather than widens it and the same for braking on the corners. Of course, braking or reducing throttle has to be finessed. If you close the throttle abruptly or jam the brakes on, BMW's chassis isn't going to save your bacon.

I think you had a major let off, but as everyone else has noted, you know what you did wrong! WHen it's your time to shuffle off this mortal coil, it will happen, but try not to jump the queue in future!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode