Advice for first trip! help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Smile Advice for first trip! help!

Hey guys!

I have a 05 k1200s and am planning a trip for next month. I am kind of concerned about the windshield as it is not exactly protective from the wind. Any ideas? I have been riding a RS around lately and that is really wind proof in comparison. Also have an issue with storage, dont want to spend a bunch because i know i will never use it unless i take a trip. Im not sure what to do here! help! all other tips appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrcali
Hey guys!

I have a 05 k1200s and am planning a trip for next month. I am kind of concerned about the windshield as it is not exactly protective from the wind. Any ideas? I have been riding a RS around lately and that is really wind proof in comparison. Also have an issue with storage, dont want to spend a bunch because i know i will never use it unless i take a trip. Im not sure what to do here! help! all other tips appreciated!
The touring screen is about 3" higher and has a slight flip to it that moves the wind higher and it doesn't look out of place on the KS.

Is the trip 1-up or 2-up? If 1-up, there are a lot of tail bags that hold a lot of gear. If 2-up, you are looking at side bags or a top case of some type. Provide some more info and people can give more advice.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Smile

I will be riding 1 up. Who makes the touring screen ? Thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Also it will be hopefully with decent weather and from santa barbara to san francisco
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:21 pm
Veteran

The screen is made my MRA. You can get one from here:
http://piratesk12site.net/MRAShield.htm and other places.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:30 pm
Veteran

Check this site for bags and screen also.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/442/

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Addict

check out helen's bags, I'm still using one weekly over the back seat, middle size. For more stuff, you might try the big one. Don't forget proper straps to hold it down. Never had a drop of water go thru it either, even in frog chokers, nada.

I take it you don't have the hard bags (side), also take a look at the seat bags that are shaped more to hang-over the sides of the seat, they may have more capacity.

The stock windscreen isn't bad if your wearing a full-cov helmet either, longest day on the KS was 1100 miles. Ok, neck was a little tired but I attribute that to old age Oh yeah, and big crosswinds will do it too. Oh..so will the drive down the PCH in Huntington Beach in the afternoon, yikes!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 6:51 am
Enthusiast

http://beemerboneyard.com/k12slamlip.html

The above is a link to a laminar lip for $50 (new). I use one on my K Sport and it made a significant difference. No buffeting etc.

It is easily removable, but you might not want to...

Dave

KR Sport
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:21 am
Noob

I found that on my S, much of my fatigue was due to noise from the wind / helmet. I'm 6'2" so I'm up in the wind a bit with the standard screen. When I use ear plugs, I really feel a difference in how tired I am.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Hey thanks alot guys, seriously helps. I have a mra double bubble type windscreen but it doesnt seem to help, maybe even worse then stock. I will check out the laminar lip. I agree, I think most of my problem is the windshield. I just get alot of noise and wind. Thanks for the tips I will for sure use them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode